• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

How to stop samefooding

I get stuck just eating the same things over and over, and food can be repulsive to me at times. I have lived of off smoothies in this lifetime. That's why l eat a lot of protein yogurt because l don't like eating meat. Hummus is just garbanzo beans, or any mild white bean in blender, little lemon juice, maybe garlic, and you can skip the sesame seeds, and then eat with pita chips, crackers. Very smooth texture, very mild taste and way cheaper then buying in deli section at store. I have added avocado, you can add a little olive oil, l actually used avocado oil. Do you like peanut butter, the smooth texture? That's nice on crackers. I have mashed black beans with potato masher, thrown taco seasoning, green salsa, dump in a corn tortilla and just eat as such for a quick meal.

I can also suddenly lose my taste for things and then they make me nauseous. Taste, smell and texture are very challenging for me.

My blender is so useful. I like the ideas above about different types of purees. I like putting spinach and berries into a blender with almond milk

What about also considering

Mashed potatoes?

Oatmeal?

Broth?

Sweet smooth soups, like butternut squash or sweet potato?

Peanut butter or other nut butters?

If you aren't feeling like preparing food, babyfood can be good, too. (Someone here on the forum gave me that tip.)

I forgot to mention tofu. You can blend this into alot of things, or cut into tiny little cubes, and it won't upset your brain, texture, taste sensitivity, it's flavor is bland, it has protein, and it has a creamy taste. You can't force yourself to eat what you don't want. All you try is work-arounds that work for you. I have read of using avocado or black beans for making brownies, so you get your sweet, but you get the benefit of avocados or beans. Avocado is considered to be a fruit in some parts of the world. You can mash it up, it has a bland taste, and is excellent for you.

This honestly sounds like a serious eating disorder way beyond the usual quirks related to autism. You could and probably are severely malnourished at this point, you've basically gotten no meaningful nutrients for at least a month and I have to imagine this isn't the first time this has happened.

You should probably seek mental health treatment for this specific issue if you aren't already, this goes way, way beyond the advice anybody can give you on a forum.

This honestly sounds like a serious eating disorder way beyond the usual quirks related to autism. You could and probably are severely malnourished at this point, you've basically gotten no meaningful nutrients for at least a month and I have to imagine this isn't the first time this has happened.

You should probably seek mental health treatment for this specific issue if you aren't already, this goes way, way beyond the advice anybody can give you on a forum.
Hello swansong thank you for your concern. You are correct I do have an eating disorder (one that is pretty largely influenced by my autism) but I have had mine for a decade and I am well managed mostly. I am in fact probably in one of the healthiest times of my life (mostly good energy, normal weight, my hair isn't falling out etc) but I do admit I have hit a snag.

However this is different it's mostly a texture thing more ARFID than anorexia so I am not seeing the same red flags I normally do and I do belive this is something I can tackle myself with the help of my outpatent treatment team. and quite frankly I can't afford to be stuck in eating disorder treatment (if you have ever done it you will know it's not exactly made for autistic people) and all I wanted is some ideas on how to get unstuck.

Many people on this forum; more than you know have ED's of some sort and based on other replies here people can empathise and provide suggestions. Eating disorders as long term as mine often are just things you learn to live with and I am living and trying my best. If you don't feel able to give advice I totally understand that and I would never make somebody take on an issue they are unprepared to address.

I feel like I have gotten some really good suggestions from other people who struggle with food in ways that may seem extreme but are indeed influenced by being autistic and I am grateful for their help and I in fact have ideas on how to tackle this. I will be dealing with my mental health forever that's just part of my life and while I don't ever want to overwhelm anybody with the help I may need I do come to places like this to seek advice from those who want to take it on.

Of course if this continues in a bad way I have people to reach out to and I can get professional help but I hope you understand that the system is not perfect so I don't see it as a first line solution simply because the of trauma I have experienced often outweighs the good.

I hope this answer suffices

I can also suddenly lose my taste for things and then they make me nauseous. Taste, smell and texture are very challenging for me.

My blender is so useful. I like the ideas above about different types of purees. I like putting spinach and berries into a blender with almond milk

What about also considering

Mashed potatoes?

Oatmeal?

Broth?

Sweet smooth soups, like butternut squash or sweet potato?

Peanut butter or other nut butters?

If you aren't feeling like preparing food, babyfood can be good, too. (Someone here on the forum gave me that tip.)
Mashed potatoes sound good same with sweet potato things. Nut butters also might be helpful I may pick some up next time I am at the store!

I forgot to mention tofu. You can blend this into alot of things, or cut into tiny little cubes, and it won't upset your brain, texture, taste sensitivity, it's flavor is bland, it has protein, and it has a creamy taste. You can't force yourself to eat what you don't want. All you try is work-arounds that work for you. I have read of using avocado or black beans for making brownies, so you get your sweet, but you get the benefit of avocados or beans. Avocado is considered to be a fruit in some parts of the world. You can mash it up, it has a bland taste, and is excellent for you.
Oh yeah I totally forgot how much I love silken tofu. I used to eat it a lot cold and I would top it with sauces and green onions so that may be good!

And final note, is protein powder is easy to obtain online. Sun Warrior sells a plain flavor that is made from peas, has excellent things in it, and you can stir into anything, has a very nice consistency. And they are a ethical company trying to do right on the planet. No l am not affiliated, and yes, l love their powders. This bottom image is unflavored but you have to hunt for it at website.

https://sunwarrior.com/

Attachments

• 1694199499307.png
    1694199499307.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,450
Last edited:
PastelPetals, when you listed supplements, you didn't say vitamin B12?

Please consider it as you are likely deficient and it is crucial. Our bodies can't make it and altho you are not vegan, your current diet cannot supply enough.

A vitamin B-complex 100 (has 100% RDA of all B vitamins) may be a good choice?

:) a smoothie in the freezer for a little while can be very nice frosty treat

I have suffered from strange textures all my life. There was no allowance for not eating stuff on my dinner plate as a child. But we findly moved to a house with a downstairs toilet which l am sure became clogged after l threw so much dinner down it, or the little tibetan spaniel who was my dinner buddy who waited patiently for food scraps if the coast was clear. @PastelPetals , you did a excellent job of explaining everything.

PastelPetals, when you listed supplements, you didn't say vitamin B12?

Please consider it as you are likely deficient and it is crucial. Our bodies can't make it and altho you are not vegan, your current diet cannot supply enough.

A vitamin B-complex 100 (has 100% RDA of all B vitamins) may be a good choice?

:) a smoothie in the freezer for a little while can be very nice frosty treat
I used to take b-12 along with fish oil also. It does get a tad expensive though keeping up with the amount of supplements I take so those two fell by the wayside. I have been thinking about reintroducing b-12 though.

@Yeshuasdaughter made a very good point too - Protein

Very necessary unless you want your body to start eating itself, and it will. If you're normally a thin person to start with a lack of protein can be quite dramatic.

Perhaps a protein supplement such as weightlifters use might also be useful to you.

@Yeshuasdaughter made a very good point too - Protein

Very necessary unless you want your body to start eating itself, and it will. If you're normally a thin person to start with a lack of protein can be quite dramatic.

Perhaps a protein supplement such as weightlifters use might also be useful to you.
I agree.

Until she goes back on regular food, she should start drinking Boost or Ensure supplements.

Beriberi is a very real and dangerous illness due to B vitamin deficiency, that a relative of mine developed, shortly after becoming a picky eater.

Tofu is a great choice. It's not a complete protein, so you'll need some protein from a grain or nut source. I've seen tofu in the store used to make a fake egg salad. It was much better than I would have expected. Protein shakes are also good. Sometime I get a little bored with the yogurt flavors sold in the store, so I add some maple syrup to plain yogurt.

I think @PastelPetals has made it perfectly clear that she is considering adding some new items to her menu. So nice suggestions are best. This person is obviously familiar with this issue and they disclosed this which tells me they are very aware of what they need to eat and are doing very well. It's just that we do tend to fall into ruts, and then we realize it and start changing up our eating plan. So this is a excellent to suggest ideas for others who fall in that rut. I do the same, right now l have my own little rut going of the same meal like 2 to 3 times a day.

Last edited:
Thank you for this post. I've been meaning to start B-12 for ages and somehow, between putting it off and forgetting about it, it's just not getting done. (No meat and pretty much no dairy for me, so it's very important.)

Anyway, I saw your post and I left for the store to finally get it. Mission accomplished. Thanks. :blush:

Pastel, I am not sure how to go about it but I am sure you will make progress since you are approaching it with the right attitude.

I think that putting foods into a blender to get a more acceptable texture is an excellent idea. It's also important to eat a wide range of foods - eating food of all different colour is a good way to approach it. Also, make sure you eat foods from each of the nutrition groups - carbohydrates, protein and some, but not too much, fat.

You can get special protein shakes that contain both protein and minerals and vitamins. These can be quite expensive, but they are tasty.

I wish I had this motivation and positive attitude when I was struggling with anorexia. I'm really proud of you for continuing to seek out solutions!!

I don't have any additional advice beyond the amazing advice you've been given here, and I wish you all the best and hope you start feeling better very soon! Eating disorders suck but it sounds like you're really committed to managing yours, which I have the utmost respect for, as an eating disorder survivor myself.

I love seeing threads like this where people are really committed to goals and don't give up. Keep up the great work :)

Thank you for this post. I've been meaning to start B-12 for ages and somehow, between putting it off and forgetting about it, it's just not getting done. (No meat and pretty much no dairy for me, so it's very important.)
You need to learn to like Vegemite. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom