• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I am giving up most refined sugars.

Are you diabetic?
I am. :cool:
Oddly enough, no! I should be by rights. My old man was diabetic and injecting insulin for decades. I also have had a VERY high sugar diet (mostly sucrose) over the years, accompanied by poor nutrition. In fact by rights, I should probably be dead by now, which seems rather unfair for all those who have no choice in their dietary control. But hey ho, it's very likely knocked many a good year off my natural span.

But there again, for as long as I'm managing to avoid the consequences, I can pretend my policy of a better quality of life over a longer span is the best way to go! (expect a reversal of opinion when the doc tells me of all the awful self-inflicted incurable illnesses I've suddenly started to show symptoms of!).

BTW, if you're type 2, did you hear about the UK NHS's impressive success treating type 2's with a very rigid diet for a limited period? They've even had significant cases of total remission! Although the diet is only for a fixed period, it's been found to be a good way of also changing lifestyle following the diet. It is extreme, but has produced compelling results. It's also for those above a certain body mass index.
NHS soup and shake diet is beating type 2 diabetes

BTW, if you're type 2, did you hear about the UK NHS's impressive success treating type 2's with a very rigid diet for a limited period?
No.
Do you have to add discipline in the mix?
If so, it may not be feasible for me. 🤔

My diet works fine in keeping a normal blood sugar level, IF I keep off the carbs. 🍰;)

No.
Do you have to add discipline in the mix?
If so, it may not be feasible for me. 🤔

My diet works fine in keeping a normal blood sugar level, IF I keep off the carbs. 🍰;)
Very much adding disciple, but the way they do it ultimately puts more control of self-discipline into the hand's of diabetics.
The article says more than I can but basically I think if you use the shakes/soups you can't 'accidentally' buy the wrong foods - if you cheat you can't avoid knowing you're doing that as you do it. So it gives a rigid and easy to follow plan, then gradually introduces certain food types back, which by then will be greatly appreciated, essentially allowing people to create their own new ways of eating rather than feeling it forced upon them - how many diets fail by splurging at the end of it? If you can manage the soups and shakes, then you'll find it easier to rebuild a new longer term diet.

But if you've a method that works for you, then that's cool! But the most interesting thing about the article (to me) was the complete remission rate!

"often showing long and relatively heathy life spans (my parents for example) " - there are more factors from back then, the pollution when cars practically didnt exist except for the mayor and such, or horse pulled carriages for people who lived in the mountains where it's different from the city side

My (poor) understanding is that oxalic acid derivatives tend to bind to calcium when taken together (or at the same time/similar times) to cause crystalisation that can cause stones in the kidney. My assumption was that calcium being bound to oxalates makes it unable to be absorbed in the body for other uses (bone supplements etc) and why it's not recommended for both proclivity towards stones, and separately, to help calcium absorption?
Yeah, that's my understanding too, they bind to calcium. Wow, I didnt think it would be that impactful on the calcium being absorbed in the body, you're right, I just looked it up.

"oxalic acid: Get enough calcium. Calcium binds to oxalate in your gut and reduces the amount your body absorbs, so try to get 800-1,200 mg per day (21, 26). "

And I suppose that's why they say too much tea is bad for bones (since it's high in oxalates). And I suppose that means it's recommended.

"Some people have suggested that consuming foods high in oxalate may lead to autism or vulvodynia, but at this point the research does not support these claims." Rofl xD

"One of these bacteria, Oxalobacter formigenes, actually uses oxalate as an energy source. This significantly reduces the amount of oxalate your body absorbs" - And ofc Fromage is the treatment to every disease on Earth, as expected. What happens in the stomach of the sheep, shouldn't stay in the stomach of the sheep.

Last edited:
You'll be giving the bakery section with the nice fruit tarts the ah, da, da, da, treatment. 🤣

I cannot resist either. I certainly cannot quit iced coffee. 🥹

"Some people have suggested that consuming foods high in oxalate may lead to autism or vulvodynia, but at this point the research does not support these claims." Rofl xD
You mean you didn't know?

I was fine for years until that fateful day I thought I'd try a cup of tea - boy, was that a mistake!
Went through the spectrum from infrared to ultraviolet, and on thru radio to x-rays in just 30 minutes, what a rush!
Just the first two mouthfuls was enough to push me into ASD1, by the end of the mug I was terminal. Doc told me to grit my teeth for another couple months and I'll only be having meltdowns when I'm awake - which'll be a relief!

My vulva never gave me trouble, but my balls were itchy as hell! 😵

Thank god I never had an MMR vaccine! Who could have guessed conspiracy theories caused autism - though actually, now I think about it, I have become highly allergic to flat earthers.

What happens in the stomach of the sheep, shouldn't stay in the stomach of the sheep.
As far as I knew, it doesn't - it moves further through the gut until exiting at the other end in metamorphosed form? Or is my biology out of date? It wouldn't surprise me. 😉

I discovered that I have more energy if I drink my homemade unsweetened iced tea instead of Mountain Dew.

I did have one friend express concern that I was going about this with “all or nothing/black and white” thinking, though.
I think the real key is to eat what makes your mind and body feel and work better. It doesn't matter what everyone else tells you. It is your body and only you know what makes it operate best.

There are way too many opinions and a lot of contradictory research in the nutrition field. This is because the stakeholders who own the large companies who make supplements, and who produce UPFs, pay for studies to be done that support their ability to continue to sell their products. Its all about money. Supplements are not regulated by the FDA or USDA in the USA, and it is a multi billion dollar industry, just like the UPF food industry. I do nutrition research in a university hospital for a living and can tell you that being a researcher is just the same as being an attorney in a sense. You can design a study or analyze/ adjust the data to get any result you want, so that your side wins the argument. That is why I always look at who funded a study and read the study design before I believe the results. Unfortunately, none of that info is included when companies base ads and news media releases on their self-funded research to show how safe or beneficial their product is.

Last edited:
Oddly enough, no! I should be by rights. My old man was diabetic and injecting insulin for decades. I also have had a VERY high sugar diet (mostly sucrose) over the years, accompanied by poor nutrition. In fact by rights, I should probably be dead by now, which seems rather unfair for all those who have no choice in their dietary control. But hey ho, it's very likely knocked many a good year off my natural span.

But there again, for as long as I'm managing to avoid the consequences, I can pretend my policy of a better quality of life over a longer span is the best way to go! (expect a reversal of opinion when the doc tells me of all the awful self-inflicted incurable illnesses I've suddenly started to show symptoms of!).

BTW, if you're type 2, did you hear about the UK NHS's impressive success treating type 2's with a very rigid diet for a limited period? They've even had significant cases of total remission! Although the diet is only for a fixed period, it's been found to be a good way of also changing lifestyle following the diet. It is extreme, but has produced compelling results. It's also for those above a certain body mass index.
NHS soup and shake diet is beating type 2 diabetes
This lifestyle modification is interesting. It sounds similar to how gestational diabetes (diabetes that occurs only during pregnancy) is treated (without medication, often) at the hospital ob/ gyn clinic I work at.

The lifestyle modification of diet AND exercise (I had to read the article carefully to pick up on that) they recommend could help reverse Type 2 Diabetes (T2D), but only if the patient is at an early enough stage of the disease where their pancreas is still healthy enough to produce insulin. In T2D, the body's cells become de- sensitized to insulin (insulin resistant), and the pancreas must produce more and more insulin in order to get the cells to pick up enough glucose to normalize the blood sugar. This stress causes damage to the pancreas, and if it continues long enough, the pancreas loses it's ability to produce insulin. It seems that if this lifestyle plan is followed awhile, it helps reduce average blood sugar, and can reduce insulin resistance in 2 ways. 1.) Only eating 900 calories a day will limit the total amount of sugar being consumed, and the blood sugar will not stay high continuously. This prevents the body from having to continuously produce insulin and in the long term, can help delay wearing out the pancreas due to overwork. I think this lifestyle change is working in the short term to reverse T2D in some people because, if it is done long enough it helps reduce insulin resistance, by reducing the body's cells exposure to high amounts of insulin, thus allowing the cells in the body to become re-sensitized to insulin. 2.) The people in the study are also exercising, which is REALLY important. Exercise alone reduces blood sugar. It also reduces insulin resistance (if done regularly). The muscles do not need insulin to remove sugar from the blood. So if you exercise, your blood sugar goes down and your body does not need to make as much insulin to reduce sugar in your blood at that time. This reduces strain on the pancreas and it also exposes your cells less to insulin, helping them re- sensitize to it. Once cells are re-sensitized, they will need less insulin to pick up the glucose from the blood, and the pancreas is stressed much less. This allows the blood sugar to be managed again without needing medication.

At our ob/gyn clinic, we advise moms with gestational diabetes to do 2 equally important things: 1.) To limit their sugar and carb intake. 2.) To take a 10 or 15 minute walk after every meal. This helps reduce the amount of sugar in their blood (and reduces how much insulin their body needs to make), because their muscles will use up a lot of the sugar in their blood.

The study you mentioned works because it is using diet AND exercise. Just one of these factors alone is not enough to reverse T2D. Also, I think the fact that shakes are being used is not super important. I think that the calorie limit of 900 kcal per day is the effective point, because sugar and carbs is super high in calories. So, with a limit of 900 kcal, you won't be getting a high amount in a day. Having it in the form of shakes that contain fiber helps with satiating the appetite and makes it easier to stick to the diet plan. The fiber also helps prevent the absorption of some of the sugar into the intestines. However, I think someone could do this without shakes. They just need to limit their sugar and carb intake. That could be done with solid food too, as long as it was fiber rich and they are watching their calorie intake per day. I think the calories could vary also, depending on their weight loss goal.
This brings up another very important point for the success of this study with shakes. All of the participants were very overweight and lost a lot of weight. People who are overweight have other metabolic reasons for insulin resistance. A high body fat mass contributes to certain substances being made in the body that affect insulin sensitivity of the body's cells. Several studies have shown that losing a lot of weight, for example, via bariatric surgery, can also reverse T2D. This adds a 3rd factor for the effectiveness of this lifestyle adjustment for reversing T2D. (Which by the way, can go right back to T2D, if the person's diet gets carb and sugar heavy and they don't exercise enough.) I wonder how effective the study would be on people who have T2D who are not very overweight.

Last edited:
I veer off the healthy foods when stressed. But l do put drinks back if the sugar content is ridiculous. Sugar is a poison for us. So l have monk fruit, stevia , and l have some brown sugar that isn't that l found at IHerb.com. l incorporate protein powder into many things, and organic protein powder is reasonably priced. I am about to make sushi with cauliflower rice for my roommate who loves sushi. I will take a can of tuna and mix with Simcha mayo, to assemble my roll. I believe eating unlimited amounts of sugar keeps dietitians, doctors, dentists working full-time. Avocado toast is a win, and egg salad mixed with Sriracha mayo, then place on top of avocado slices on toast, sprinkled with everything bagel seasoning is delicious. I did make a potato salad using cauliflower that been steamed and cut up, and it did the trick. I just bought an immersion blender, l will try turning silken tofu into salad dressing by adding ranch dressing seasoning. There is sugar even in salad dressing. My latest kick is protein iced coffee, it comes in many flavors carried by quite a few vendors.

You mean you didn't know?

I was fine for years until that fateful day I thought I'd try a cup of tea - boy, was that a mistake!
Went through the spectrum from infrared to ultraviolet, and on thru radio to x-rays in just 30 minutes, what a rush!
Just the first two mouthfuls was enough to push me into ASD1, by the end of the mug I was terminal. Doc told me to grit my teeth for another couple months and I'll only be having meltdowns when I'm awake - which'll be a relief!

My vulva never gave me trouble, but my balls were itchy as hell! 😵

Thank god I never had an MMR vaccine! Who could have guessed conspiracy theories caused autism - though actually, now I think about it, I have become highly allergic to flat earthers.

As far as I knew, it doesn't - it moves further through the gut until exiting at the other end in metamorphosed form? Or is my biology out of date? It wouldn't surprise me. 😉
Ahh, I remember my first cup of tea, 🍼, like it was yesterday. As I was suckling it, I started to look away from my mom and then I never made eye contact again. My parents took me to a optician vet but it's resisted every treatment but milk. Ever since I had to mix tea with milk and I can no longer remember that herbal sweet, I mean that anonymous taste of tea.

The optician\vet didn't want to check my vulvodynia but I always had a feeling I had it. To put it simply my grapes dropped, on the floor. And I had a meltdown.

I veer off the healthy foods when stressed. But l do put drinks back if the sugar content is ridiculous. Sugar is a poison for us. So l have monk fruit, stevia , and l have some brown sugar that isn't that l found at IHerb.com. l incorporate protein powder into many things, and organic protein powder is reasonably priced. I am about to make sushi with cauliflower rice for my roommate who loves sushi. I will take a can of tuna and mix with Simcha mayo, to assemble my roll. I believe eating unlimited amounts of sugar keeps dietitians, doctors, dentists working full-time. Avocado toast is a win, and egg salad mixed with Sriracha mayo, then place on top of avocado slices on toast, sprinkled with everything bagel seasoning is delicious. I did make a potato salad using cauliflower that been steamed and cut up, and it did the trick. I just bought an immersion blender, l will try turning silken tofu into salad dressing by adding ranch dressing seasoning. There is sugar even in salad dressing. My latest kick is protein iced coffee, it comes in many flavors carried by quite a few vendors.
Mmm, but boiled potatoes are worse than sugar. I adooore them though. And they're not very kidney friendly either. 😭

No, no potatoes, you substitute cooked chopped cauliflower for potatoes in potato salad. You can't really tell.

The optician\vet didn't want to check my vulvodynia but I always had a feeling I had it. To put it simply my grapes dropped, on the floor. And I had a meltdown.
Ew! Grapes on floor! very visceral - love that one!!! 😁

Life without Mountain Dew is treating me well.
Just put down that Mountain Dew,
You know it will your body screw.
Drink too much - you'll only spew,
It's worse than drinking cheap home brew!
If you can this drink eschew,
Then I say "Well good for you!".

No, no potatoes, you substitute cooked chopped cauliflower for potatoes in potato salad. You can't really tell.
Oh I see, I used to do a lot of cauliflower and zucchini substitution but zucchini is full of water and less flavor. I love zucchini patties with meat. I could never really get over sweet potato's sweetness though. Maybe in a sauce.

Just put down that Mountain Dew,
You know it will your body screw.
Drink too much - you'll only spew,
It's worse than drinking cheap home brew!
If you can this drink eschew,
Then I say "Well good for you!".
Mt Dew tastes like grapes anyway.

New Threads

Top Bottom