• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I can’t believe this is happening?

DaisyRose

Has anyone see this on tv? The “missing” submarine that was taking a trip to Titanic. I’m leaving the link to the video. I can’t believe James Cameron has to comment on this situation. I’m speechless.

More cash than brains. I hate ridiculing people who probably died horribly and painfully, though.
That’s true! I don’t wish these people bad luck. However, I hope people learn their lesson from this experience. It’s an example of what happens when you have a more cash than brains outlook.

It's a real shame that the person who ordered everything built thought that safety standards got in the way of innovation, purchased substandard parts, changed the original design without testing and used carbon fiber instead of steel for the hull.

According the the Coast Guard today, the sub imploded though on the original descent after loosing control. Thankfully, implosion happens faster than the human brain can detect, at least it was painless.

The saying "safety standards are written in blood" is unfortunately really true and it's a shame that this guy thought ignoring them was a good idea. I don't know how he got away with running a tourism thing with a US based company without having to follow required safety standards though.

It's a real shame that the person who ordered everything built thought that safety standards got in the way of innovation, purchased substandard parts, changed the original design without testing and used carbon fiber instead of steel for the hull.

According the the Coast Guard today, the sub imploded though on the original descent after loosing control. Thankfully, implosion happens faster than the human brain can detect, at least it was painless.

The saying "safety standards are written in blood" is unfortunately really true and it's a shame that this guy thought ignoring them was a good idea. I don't know how he got away with running a tourism thing with a US based company without having to follow required safety standards though.
If that guy is still alive, he should be charged with negligent homicide.

It does seem to be a strange tale of a failure of a bureaucracy and legal system to adequately inspect and regulate such a vessel with so many life-threatening exposures. Compounded by the failure of an entrepreneur who thought he could take engineering and metallurgy shortcuts when it comes to an exposure of 6000 pounds per square inch of pressure at such depths. With a navigation system based on video game technology. Really?

It's grotesque. Worse still to hear the youngest victim's aunt point out just how terrified the kid was about going on such an adventure. However he felt so pressured by his father that he had to go.

Such incredibly risky operations for even for the wealthiest of paying clients need to be reevaluated.

It does seem to be a strange tale of a failure of a bureaucracy and legal system to adequately inspect and regulate such a vessel with so many life-threatening exposures. Compounded by the failure of an entrepreneur who thought he could take engineering and metallurgy shortcuts when it comes to an exposure of 6000 pounds per square inch of pressure at such depths. With a navigation system based on video game technology. Really?

It's grotesque. Worse still to hear the youngest victim's aunt point out just how terrified the kid was about going on such an adventure. However he felt so pressured by his father that he had to go.

Such incredibly risky operations for even for the wealthiest of paying clients need to be reevaluated.
When spending a million dollars on cocaine and hookers is a wiser investment, you know something is wrong.

And yet all four of the passengers signed waivers of liability. But that won't likely shield them free and clear of litigation. I'm guessing the survivors of the father and son will be the first to file suit against OceanGate.

Ironic name, "OceanGate". What were they thinking when they chose that name?

So far OceanGate has refused to comment on who insures them for liability.

Last edited:
3,8 kilometer depth, that 's 12,500 feet. 380 times the atmospheric pressure we have on the earth's surface, :fearscream: I would not go down there.

One thing that puzzles me a little about the Titanic, is the amount of attention it gets from people. It sank and it was a terrible tragedy of course. But I wonder if people get something similar to gold fever, Titanic fever. So many ships have gone down over the years, the ocean is full of them. But the Titanic seems to get all the attention. Robert Ballard keeps making documentaries about it, he just won't stop, it's like an obsession. It just seems a little odd to me. Documenting every tiny detail about it 100 times seems a little pointless. People are even worried it will slowly disappear so they want to preserve it somehow. I have to wonder why.

Last edited:
One thing that puzzles me a little about the Titanic, is the amount of attention it gets from people. It sank and it was a terrible tragedy of course. But I wonder if people get something similar to gold fever, Titanic fever. So many ships have gone down over the years, the ocean is full of them. But the Titanic seems to get all the attention. Robert Ballard keeps making documentaries about it, he just won't stop, it's like an obsession. It just seems a little odd to me. Documenting every tiny detail about it 100 times seems a little pointless. People are even worried it will slowly disappear so they want to preserve it somehow. I have to wonder why.
Most people do not care when a raft full of migrants drowns. A lot of rich people died on the Titanic, though.

Most people dont think properly when they want something and/or some authority tells them everything is right.

Under authority suggestions they can hurt/kill others, go to war and of course enter that submarine parody.

As allways, there are also the people who knew that was going to happen, who politelly told the authority but did nothing more because it was not their problem.

This kind of humans mechanic repeats once and again in so many situations. This submarine, volcano expeditions, libor index manipulations, 2008 crissis, entire countries starving to death because authority nets cant be broken, climatic change.... Its so sad that we have been able to evolve just so close to be intelligent... to that unconfortable point where we can see how we are self destructing outselves but are unable to solve it...

I agree. I can’t believe people will pay 250k for a flop like that. I’m like why would you do that.

Without people who would pay that for what to most seems like frivolity, the modern world wouldn't exist. The richest in society always get use of world changing tech first. It's what allows investment into greater production methods and ultimately drives the cost down for the tech allowing for mass consumption. Commercial train travel, electricity, planes, automobiles, computers, space travel, underwater submersible and on and on, all purchased first by the equivalent billionares of their day.

And yet all four of the passengers signed waivers of liability. But that won't likely shield them free and clear of litigation. I'm guessing the survivors of the father and son will be the first to file suit against OceanGate.

Ironic name, "OceanGate". What were they thinking when they chose that name?

So far OceanGate has refused to comment on who insures them for liability.

Correct. Liability shielding contracts generally only block liabilities in cases of legitimate accidents. If any deliberate negligence is found, that would void the contract.

The same is the case for vaccines given immunity from liability directly from government. That shield is void if any fraud or deliberate use of misleading data is found.

I understand that the Titan was an experimental submersible, not subject to routine safety laws, and had made a number of successful dives. Lawsuits surely will follow even though the passengers contractually signed away their rights and willingly and knowingly accepted the risks. It is a tragedy indeed.

New Threads

Top Bottom