• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Never Metaphor I Didn't Like

...yeah...how did humans end up saying nonesense, instead of just saying the thing they mean.

In my opinion, that's a bit like asking why humans write poetry. And the use of poetic expressions and other non-utilitarian language makes everyday language more poetic, beautiful, charming, and inspiring.

To me, it's a bit like asking why anyone bothers with dessert when vegetables have so much more nutritive value.

I understand that not everyone understands colorful turns of phrase, but I would kill myself if I had to live in a world in which people only communicated via very literal "instruction manual"-type language.

Last edited:
My father has some paintings by T.E. Breitenbach that are these silly, literal depictions of proverb idioms. They are a fun kind of genius, and I can stare at one for hours discovering them.

In my opinion, that's a bit like asking why humans write poetry. And the use of poetic expressions and other non-utilitarian language makes everyday language more poetic, beautiful, charming, and inspiring.

To me, it's a bit like asking why anyone bothers with dessert when vegetables have so much more nutritive value.

I understand that not everyone understands colorful turns of phrase, but I would kill myself if I had to live in a world in which people only communicated via very literal "instruction manual"-type language.
Yeah, life would be pretty dry without "colors".

That's the guy. These paintings are huge, too. They're about 4' x 2.5' rectangular on his walls. The bottoms of the paintings have all of the proverb idioms listed and numbered out.

I don`t know if it is a saying in english but a literal Dutch metaphor is: It is better to have one bird in your hand, than to have many in the sky.
The English equivalent saying is "A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush."

....I have no idea what that stands for.
Please, enlighten me.
It is the same as the Dutch one about birds in the sky. If you have a sure thing going (a bird in the hand) it would be dumb to let it go in hopes of having something better that may not happen (two birds in the bush)

Another one we have in Dutch is: "De kat uit de boom kijken." Translated: To look the cat out of the tree.
Which stands for standing at a distance and just observing everything without actually interacting with it.

Which in turn will result in nothing happening. Because the 'cat' will stay in the tree if you don`t help it out.

My feeling is that if you did a large scale study you'd find that everyone misunderstands non-literal language to some degree, and autistic people on average misunderstand it more than non-autistic people. But the difference is not so big, so although there's some truth that it's an autistic trait, a lot of autistic people would find it odd to be characterised in that way.

I tend to understand such phrases by treating them like a computer language, and replace the non-literal things (variables) with literal things (values) so I can understand what they're about.

Last edited:
Do parables fit in the field of metaphors??

If so, I have a parable, but I won't add it if it's not appropriate for this topic.

It is the same as the Dutch one about birds in the sky. If you have a sure thing going (a bird in the hand) it would be dumb to let it go in hopes of having something better that may not happen (two birds in the bush)
This one is parallel to the fable of the dog with a bone in his mouth looking into the water and seeing his own reflection. He drops his own bone to snatch the other dog’s bone, winding up with no bones.

This whole topic baffles me. I used to speak in similes and metaphors, have been yelled at to stop speaking in parables. Diagnosed late in life, it was always my observation that the average cat just didn’t have a mind for instructive comparisons. After I self-diagnosed, I thought my excessive dependence on these constructs must be due to autism. Now, I guess I’m hearing that I’m an atypical divergent. Does that make me not not weird?

This one is parallel to the fable of the dog with a bone in his mouth looking into the water and seeing his own reflection. He drops his own bone to snatch the other dog’s bone, winding up with no bones.
And that one reminds me of a Dutch saying: "Twee honden vechten om een been, de derde gaat ermee heen." Which translates to: "Two dogs are fighting for a bone, the third dog runs away with it"

A parable is either a well developed metaphor, or a group of metaphors woven into a narrative. Fire away.

I wrote this for a book I am writing on the management of type-1 diabetes. It conveys the conditions that caused me to find a much better control method than exists in "modern medicine".

So, here it is:

The Oil Well Fire - A Parable:
Once upon a time, there was an oil well at the bottom of a valley that blew-out and caught fire. Weeks went by with all the local firefighters exhausting their efforts to extinguish the fire – to no avail.

Eventually, Red Adair and his world-famous team was called in. Radio and TV news media gathered on top of the hill, along with a large crowd of spectators. But to no avail; even with all the tankers, pumpers and water cannon trucks, the fire simply would not go out.

Finally, a million-dollar reward was offered to any crew that could put out the fire. It became a viral media event. Firefighting teams came from far and wide to try their go at winning the reward, but so far, none succeeding. Near the end of the line of contestants was a shabby team with nothing but an old, beat-up, rusted flat-bed truck filled with sand and a crew armed with shovels. As the line inched along to their turn, the crowd of spectators looked at them with grinning scoffs. Most eager to watch just for the amusement of the expected comical failure. Finally, it was their turn, but before they set off down the hill, the TV announcer asked the crew chief if he really thought they had any chance at putting out the fire. With a shrug of the shoulders, he just said, “well, we just thought we’d give it a try”. Among lots of spectator snickering and laughter, they set off down the hill to the fire.

Partway down the hill the truck started speeding up. As they progressed, faster and faster, the spectator crowd began to cheer at the crew’s obvious eager confidence as they were now standing in the back of the truck waiving their shovels in the air as they raced, faster and faster down to the fire. As they got closer, the crowd began to grow quieter watching in amazement as it looked like they were getting too close to the fire and still not slowing down. Then, sure enough, with all jaws dropped, the truck drove straight into the fire! Simultaneously, a huge plume of sand erupted from the back of the truck with shovels and crew a-blur in rapid motion. In a blink, the bulging sand-cloud grew to engulf the fire and with a Poof! It was out. Nothing was left but a huge mound of settling sand. The spectators and news media now aghast; dead silent in astonishment.

After a few moments, the truck slowly started back up the hill and drifted to a stop in front of the TV reporter. The crowd was still struck silent in astoundment. The still panting crew climbed down from the truck with singed hair and smoldering clothes. The TV reporter still at a loss for words finally said, “That was the most astounding thing I have ever seen! You certainly deserve the reward”, and then asked, “What do you plan to do with all that money?” After a brief pause, the crew chief said, “Well… the first thing I’m going to do is take my old truck down and get them darn brakes fixed!”

Now that may be a funny story, but there are some valuable life-lessons to learn from it. Their success was not due to any special knowledge, skills, credentials, equipment or techniques.

The unlikely fire-fighting team was successful for two reasons:
1) Terror. Due to the truck’s failed brakes thrusting them directly into the fire, their goal suddenly changed from a remote chance at winning a contest to something far more important; far more urgent. Their driving force suddenly switched to Terror. They were suddenly thrust into a fight for their lives, with no hope of any outside help.

2) Up-close and Personal. They succeed where the others didn’t, because their fight with the fire was intimately up-close and personal. The other crews fought the fire from a safe distance, shooting water and chemicals at it, but did not address the fire directly at its source.

Likewise, my success in discovering my non-traditional management method, saving me from the perils of diabetes, was not smarts - and certainly not bravery or any other impressive attribute; I was faced with those same two conditions:

I was terrified because I knew nothing about diabetes and I realized during my hospital stay that it was imminently lethal and I realized that neither my doctor nor the hospital staff had any clue. I was dying in the hospital and about to be discharged. I decided that I had to do it on my own - up-close and personal.

FYI, that was 34 years ago. I still have no type 1 diabetes health conditions. I consider myself a Non-Diabetic Diabetic.

New Threads

Top Bottom