• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Think I Have Finally Started to Understand Love

Joshua the Writer

Very Nerdy Guy, Any Pronouns
V.I.P Member
For a while, I didn't know what love is. I know what happiness feels like, but I didn't know what love is in particular for a long time. I say, "I love you" to my family and friends, but I often felt my words were hollow and insincere since I didn't quite understand it. And then I met my girlfriend about 3 or 4 years ago (I am not keeping exact track, she probably has kept a better record than me). I think I understand more about love now. I just feel so relaxed and happy in a special kind of way when I'm around those that I love. It is amazing.

After some 40 years with the same girl, "love" still seems a bit cryptic to me. We are great life partners, no doubt, but I don't think I express, feel, or understand love the way my wife does. I have sort of just accepted it. "It is what it is."

Love has so many meanings and everyone would describe the way love feels differently.

The love I feel for my children makes me feel like my heart will explode and talking about them will bring me to tears.

My husband of 35yrs is kind of like a comfortable sweater that makes me feel safe and happy, until I need space then it can feel oppressive and I just need to take it off for a few minutes to cool down and regulate.

Love doesn’t have to feel like it seems to in the movies, that’s unrealistic. That expectation causes a lot of grief in relationships.

I think if your autism includes alexatxymia, you may just not be in touch with the feelings that those love hormones affect. But a lot of us get in touch with our emotional side under stress, so you may not be aware of the feeling of love until a break up. Then the absence feels like a huge hole.

After some 40 years with the same girl, "love" still seems a bit cryptic to me. We are great life partners, no doubt, but I don't think I express, feel, or understand love the way my wife does. I have sort of just accepted it. "It is what it is."
The key is to learn each others “love language”, because a relationship is like a plant. If you don’t find out what you need to feed it and how frequently, you may look up and suddenly notice it’s dead.

It is far easier to start early and put in the work, than to try to revive a relationship when it’s nearly dead.

For a while, I didn't know what love is. I know what happiness feels like, but I didn't know what love is in particular for a long time. I say, "I love you" to my family and friends, but I often felt my words were hollow and insincere since I didn't quite understand it. And then I met my girlfriend about 3 or 4 years ago (I am not keeping exact track, she probably has kept a better record than me). I think I understand more about love now. I just feel so relaxed and happy in a special kind of way when I'm around those that I love. It is amazing.
I wish I could feel like that about someone. I have written before about my inability to feel any sort of bond or attachment to anybody. Wanting to feel love and friendship but not being able to is no way to live.

You understand more about love in the aftermath of a breakup.

When they tell you they love you, always mentally add "conditionally, right at this moment, for now".

It is far easier to start early and put in the work, than to try to revive a relationship when it’s nearly dead.
A lot of ppl on the spectrum are clueless and can't see the catastrophe in motion before it is too late.
I am speaking from personal experience.

I wish I could feel like that about someone. I have written before about my inability to feel any sort of bond or attachment to anybody. Wanting to feel love and friendship but not being able to is no way to live.
My main impediment in fostering deeper relationships was mainly due to the pain I experienced after my first true love 40 years ago.
I never wanted to experience such emotional pain ever again...
And then I did. :p

My main impediment in fostering deeper relationships was mainly due to the pain I experienced after my first true love 40 years ago.
I never wanted to experience such emotional pain ever again...
And then I did. :p
We seem to be sort of opposite on this. I wish I could feel the pain of lost love, for that would mean I had experienced and felt actual love, and for a little while I was not alone.

We seem to be sort of opposite on this. I wish I could feel the pain of lost love, for that would mean I had experienced and felt actual love, and for a little while I was not alone.
Yes, we see life differently.
"Love" is nature's little trick to entice ppl to rub naughty bits with the blind evolutionary intent to procreate.
Well, for the majority, at least.

The feeling of love is powerful.
It is tied into the sense of meaningfulness in life.
And their in lies the deception.

"Love is (simply) a state of mind" fueled by chemical reactions in the brain.
It is akin to being a junkie on oxytocin, aptly labelled "The Love Drug".

Handle with care. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm a little puzzled. Are you all saying that you never loved your parents, siblings, pets, etc. 😟
In a way, but not quite, just different perhaps. If you do the medical research on the topic of "autism and oxytocin" you will find that many of us, due to issues with the hypothalamus-to-posterior pituitary signaling, may have abnormally low levels of this hormone. Oxytocin and vasopressin are known as the "love hormones" that are released during interpersonal bonding. It's, in part, the euphoric feeling one gets when you meet that special person who you just "click" with and want to be around all the time because of that feeling. It is also, in part, responsible for the motivation to meet with people, introduce yourself, seek companionship, and perhaps even feeling energized and better when you are interacting with people. So many of us, feel quite the opposite in this regard. Socialization becomes a negative thing because it drains us of our energy and frankly, some will need a day or two of rest and recovery after a stimulating social experience.

Now throw in alexithymia, another common comorbidity with autism, and you have a situation were either there is an unawareness of emotional states, an embarrassing and inappropriate 100% ON/OFF of emotion, or an internal fear of emotional dysregulation and a constant squelching of emotion that, over time, leads to a general state of emotional neutrality, as it is deemed "more safe". Q. "What are you feeling right now?" A. "Absolutely nothing."

Having said that, the bonds that we have with our parents and siblings, even our spouses and children, are, I suspect, not at the level of intensity that say, a neurotypical would experience. Furthermore, as @thejuice commented, unless there are positive bonding experiences on a frequent basis, love is conditional and fades over time. They just become people in your life, or past life, and there's no looking back. Water under the bridge. There is little, if any, need or wanting to rekindle a faded relationship. You don't "miss" people.

So this gets into a few contributing reasons why some of us are so frustrated, even angry when it comes to relationships. "How come I can't make friends?" "I want a girlfriend, but don't know how." "I want to know what love is." "Nobody likes me." "I am going to be single my entire life." So on and so forth. It's not for a lack of desire. Whatever is supposed to happen in the brain during interpersonal interactions, key things are missing and bonds are not created. Autism = "auto" or "self", "One who walks alone." Even whilst being married, in every other aspect of my life, I often sense that I walk alone, there but not there, out on the periphery, seen but not seen. Most people are just things/objects to navigate around, pretty much in my way all the time.

My wife and I, are life partners. We do everything together. We hold hands and cuddle on the couch. My children are grown and have their own lives. I do enjoy seeing them. However, even when they were at home, there was always a "glass wall" between us. They sensed it. I sensed it. We still sense it. I don't have the words to explain, but we have never really bonded in what I would consider a "normal" way. They were good kids. There was never any emotional or physical abuse in the way. We were quite generous with them. They would bond with my wife, and not me. If there was a problem or something needed fixing, they came to me.

Last edited:
@Neonatal RRT It just sounds so sad. 🥹 I get a bit of emotional attachment even to things like frogs and lizards that I see out in the yard frequently. Should I seek a second opinion on my diagnosis? There were so many things that did fit like special interests, infodumping, sensory issues, and stimming. 🤔

@Neonatal RRT It just sounds so sad. 🥹 I get a bit of emotional attachment even to things like frogs and lizards that I see out in the yard frequently. Should I seek a second opinion on my diagnosis? There were so many things that did fit like special interests, infodumping, sensory issues, and stimming. 🤔
This is why he wrote "may have abnormally low levels of this hormone." It doesn't mean every autistic person is like that.

I think there is a difference between love and attraction. You can love someone without being attracted to them, like in the case of a close family member and you can be attracted to someone without loving them, like possibly in the case of a spouse or other romantic partner. To both love and be attracted to someone is rare, I think.

Probably the truest form of love is how a mother loves her child. She usually will put the child's needs above her own and not mind the sacrifice at all.

That's normal for aspies to be good with animals. I feel terribly guilty if I step on a snail *crunch*

Love doesn’t have to feel like it seems to in the movies, that’s unrealistic. That expectation causes a lot of grief in relationships.

I think if your autism includes alexatxymia, you may just not be in touch with the feelings that those love hormones affect. But a lot of us get in touch with our emotional side under stress, so you may not be aware of the feeling of love until a break up. Then the absence feels like a huge hole.

I've always hated soppy films. And kissing scenes bleuugghh!! *shudder*
I remember asking for a mother's day card that was funny, because I didn't like sentimentality and the shop staff was shocked. Maybe it was rude lol. But the messages in the cards made my skin crawl, could just imagine mum laughing at the insincerity 🤣

In a way, but not quite, just different perhaps. If you do the medical research on the topic of "autism and oxytocin" you will find that many of us, due to issues with the hypothalamus-to-posterior pituitary signaling, may have abnormally low levels of this hormone. Oxytocin and vasopressin are known as the "love hormones" that are released during interpersonal bonding.
An extremely informative post.
Ironically...
I think I am in luv wit you...woof! :p
I Love Ya GIF by Chippy the Dog

Autism is a spectrum, remember. ;)

That's normal for aspies to be good with animals. I feel terribly guilty if I step on a snail *crunch*
I avoid stepping on ants.
I rescue snails and worms.
Seeing mistreatment of animals on youtube breaks my heart.

Yes...
Those on the spectrum often have an enormous affinity with animals...
Particularly the non-human sort of animal. :cool:

New Threads

Top Bottom