• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you are on the autistic spectrum, are you or have you been in a romantic relationship?

If you are on the autistic spectrum, are you or have you been in a romantic relationship?

• Yes.

Votes: 54 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 16 22.9%

• Total voters
I'm at a loss for words. I think everyone on this board has freedom to have their own opinions. It's just I was hoping to get some good advice and wisdom. And now I feel more lost.
Could we please take a brief intermission and have some virtual snacks and drinks please?
I admit I am happy single, and I'm okay if I never get into a romantic relationship with a man. I just still would like the chance to meet someone even if it never happens.

I too know two men I wish I could reconnect with even as friends. You mentioned if you could their was two women you wanted to reconnect with. I had to move on because I've lost touch with them. But , I think there is still hope for us. Let's not give up yet. We've made it this far. @Steelbookcollector217

There is another man I would like to reconnect with, but we for sure lost contact.
Basically, I would like some people of my past to be a part of my future. But, I know realistically I got to move on and that includes ever being in a romantic relationship.

Could we please take a brief intermission and have some virtual snacks and drinks please?
Done! :cool:

Cat Eating GIF

I'm at a loss for words. I think everyone on this board has freedom to have their own opinions. It's just I was hoping to get some good advice and wisdom. And now I feel more lost.

From my own observation over the years here, I'd suspect you'd be disappointed to discover that our reality reflects very few successful and long-lasting relationships.

That at best what amounts to a "handful" of members who have sustained long term relationships with Neurotypical partners. Maybe they can post their experiences in this thread as well. We also have had at least four autistic members who found love and marriage with one another, however as far as I know they all ended in divorce.

If this thread seems a bit grim, it's just reflecting the reality for the majority of us single autistic adults. I can certainly relate to the desire of reconnecting relationships of the past, however I can also attest to how arduous they can be to successfully rekindle them.

With particular focus on whether or not a friend or partner had issues with our autistic traits and behaviors.

That at best what amounts to a "handful" of members who have sustained long term relationships with Neurotypical partners. Maybe they can post their experiences in this thread as well. We also have had at least four autistic members who found love and marriage with one another, however as far as I know they all ended in divorce.
Autism is a social disability.
I think I will find little disagreement with that statement.
It makes things very difficult in maintaining a lasting relationship, imo.

One of the problems we have is a need of personal space.
As a group, information overload can cause triggering/meltdowns.
Both those things can create difficulties in a significant-other relationship.

Lack of "Theory of Mind" is another element confusing/complicating the situation, and this is why direct communication is so important rather than trying to guess what your partner is thinking and feeling.

Also, consider Alexithymia.
Many on the spectrum have difficulty in processing their own emotions, let alone identifying the emotional responses of others.

As you can see, as a group, we have been "blessed" when it comes to personal relationships. <irony> :cool:

If this thread seems a bit grim, it's just reflecting the reality for the majority of us single autistic adults. I can certainly relate to the desire of reconnecting relationships of the past, however I can also attest to how arduous they can be to successfully rekindle them.

With particular focus on whether or not a friend or partner had issues with our autistic traits and behaviors.
Our fate for many of us, it seems:
Tantalus (Ancient Greek: Τάνταλος Tántalos), also called Atys, was a Greek mythological figure, most famous for his punishment in Tartarus: for trying to trick the gods into eating his son, he was made to stand in a pool of water beneath a fruit tree with low branches, with the fruit ever eluding his grasp, and the water always receding before he could take a drink.
Tantalus - Wikipedia

New Threads

Top Bottom