• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm going to the UK in May! Any suggestions on what to do?

Inserting a funny story.....when my friends and I were staying in Bath, the guy at the front desk of the youth hostel tricked us. He started chatting and found out how long we were staying in Bath (we had already visited the natural springs), and convinced us that we absolutely must include Chester in our travels, to miss out would be a real shame, in fact, we should even cut short our stay in Bath to get out to Chester. Gullible as we were, we took him for his word - we left early for Chester, and.............nothing. We arrived at around 5 pm, and we were hard pressed to even find a single restaurant open - everything was closed, nobody was even walking around on the street! I think this was a Sunday, the town seemed very small and quiet. So we had fish and chips for the first time at the one pub that seemed to be open, at least wherever we were walking around, realized we'd been tricked, then continued on with the rest of our planned itinerary :-D So if someone tries to convince you that you must absolutely see Chester, or some other town you have no idea about, look into it yourself first, otherwise you'll just have totally silly story to tell like that one!

Are you sure he didn't mean Cheddar? Cheddar isn't all that far from Bath, they have the gorge and caves and stuff there?

And good god don't ever refer to the Cornish as English! o_O

I was amused hearing from the cast of "Doc Martin" that virtually no actor on the show seems to have an authentic Cornish accent.

Yet you have actors like Martin Clunes from London, and Caroline Catz from the Midlands who pronounce some things quite differently. Like the name of Caroline's character Louisa Glasson.

Clunes pronounces it "Loo-ee-za" while Catz pronounces it "Loo-ee-zer". Are they being in character when they do that or is that just their natural accent?

I was amused hearing from the cast of "Doc Martin" that virtually no actor on the show seems to have an authentic Cornish accent.

Yet you have actors like Martin Clunes from London, and Caroline Catz from the Midlands who pronounce some things quite differently. Like the name of Caroline's character Louisa Glasson.

Clunes pronounces it "Loo-ee-za" while Catz pronounces it "Loo-ee-zer". Are they being in character when they do that or is that just their natural accent?

Yeah "Loo-ee-zer" is closer to what it would sound like in the South West... I just practised it out loud and that's pretty much how I say it, and I am from Bristol which is in the South West like Cornwall is lol.

Yeah "Loo-ee-zer" is closer to what it would sound like in the South West... I just practised it out loud and that's pretty much how I say it, and I am from Bristol which is in the South West like Cornwall is lol.

We have similar pronunciations here in the states. That one is usually indicative of people from New England, Boston...etc.. Though certainly not something any Southerner would say.

One of these days I'll have to watch the original "Straw Dogs" movie....to see if the Cornish accents are authentic. Saw the movie a very long time ago...just can't remember much about it except Susan George's character....lol.

We have similar pronunciations here in the states. That one is usually indicative of people from New England, Boston...etc.. Though certainly not something any Southerner would say.

We tend to over pronounce Rs, and leave off Ts and Hs here... So, for instance; "three" become "free", "house" becomes "ouse" and "over" would be "oh-vurr".

I saw a list once of Bristolianisms, I'll have to find it and post it now.

ere yarr (here you are lol)

The Dialect Dictionary - Bristol Dialect Glossary - Cinemawl Dap/Daps Diesel Gettee Ansum Cas Annus Amblance - Language your way

theres the big hamleys toy store-which is three floors high

I've been there. Hell. On. Earth.

I would say "Loo-ee-za", but then I don't have a Cardiff accent. People with that accent would actually pronounce it "Loo-ee-zuh". Yeah, Cardiff doesn't have a nice accent at all :sweatsmile:

I've been there. Hell. On. Earth.

I would say "Loo-ee-za", but then I don't have a Cardiff accent. People with that accent would actually pronounce it "Loo-ee-zuh". Yeah, Cardiff doesn't have a nice accent at all :sweatsmile:

Whereabouts are you in Wales Xudo?

I've heard Cardiff accents, they aren't particularly strong.

I have family in Abertillery - theirs is extremely strong lol.

Whereabouts are you in Wales Xudo?

I've heard Cardiff accents, they aren't particularly strong.

I have family in Abertillery - theirs is extremely strong lol.

I'm Cardiff born and bred (and when I die, I'll be Cardiff dead). Depends on who you meet, some Cardiff accents are horrendous, some people aren't too bad and they just add the occasional 's' where they shouldn't (for example 'I loves it' I goes to town'). I've been told "I talk posh"....and it turns out the correct response to that isn't "no, I speak properly." :rolleyes::p

I'm Cardiff born and bred (and when I die, I'll be Cardiff dead). Depends on who you meet, some Cardiff accents are horrendous, some people aren't too bad and they just add the occasional 's' where they shouldn't (for example 'I loves it' I goes to town'). I've been told "I talk posh"....and it turns out the correct response to that isn't "no, I speak properly." :rolleyes::p

I knew someone who lived in Canton, he was a tool. But he wasn't from there, he was from Swansea.

I use S's where they shouldn't be... another bad Bristolian habit that apparently isn't just Bristolian lol

I knew someone who lived in Canton, he was a tool. But he wasn't from there, he was from Swansea.

Probably couldn't help being a tool, what with being a jack b*****d :p

Canton has an amazing Chinese called Happy Gathering :hearteyes:

I've been told "I talk posh"....and it turns out the correct response to that isn't "no, I speak properly." :rolleyes::p

Me thinks she means "bleedin' proppa. :p

-Miss Pegg, "To Sir With Love"

LOL...but that's the East End....not Wales!

Last edited:
Are you sure he didn't mean Cheddar? Cheddar isn't all that far from Bath, they have the gorge and caves and stuff there?
No, it was most definitely Chester. Unless he got it wrong, but I doubt he would have consistently made that error and we didn't notice a speech impediment. All 3 of us heard him say Chester several times. A friend of mine did enjoy a separate trip out to Cheddar Gorge at a later time, though :-)

I'm also hoping to go to Wales for a day, though it may not happen.
Maybe your best bet for a day-trip to Wales is Hay-on-Wye as it's right on the border. Otherwise if you can stay a night or two I would strongly recommend the Centre for Alternative Technology in Machynlleth, Powys. And did you know that Wales is the only part of the UK with a complete coastal footpath? The Gower Peninsula (near Swansea) and Pembrokeshire are the most scenic bits.

Maybe your best bet for a day-trip to Wales is Hay-on-Wye as it's right on the border. Otherwise if you can stay a night or two I would strongly recommend the Centre for Alternative Technology in Machynlleth, Powys. And did you know that Wales is the only part of the UK with a complete coastal footpath? The Gower Peninsula (near Swansea) and Pembrokeshire are the most scenic bits.

Hay-on-Wye is fantastic, especially if you love books! My Grandparents used to live not that far away from there, so I've spent a lot of time perusing the many second hand bookshops there :p

Roslyn sounds neat. We had a meeting a few days ago and they changed one of the cities we are going to. We are now going to Lincoln instead of Leicester. I don't know why the sudden change, but when we are going to Lincoln, there will be a big celebration in progress going on. It's the 800th anniversary of the Battle of Lincoln, according to my professors. I have a couple of questions for you all: How likely is it that I will get stuff stolen from me? I've been advised to buy a money belt and always wear it. I also heard that thieves slash open the bottoms of backpacks to steal stuff. Is that true? I have finals now and I will be leaving for England a couple of days after that, so I may not get a chance to look at this again. But I will tell you all what it was like when I get back. And thanks for all of the suggestions!

How likely is it that I will get stuff stolen from me? I've been advised to buy a money belt and always wear it. I also heard that thieves slash open the bottoms of backpacks to steal stuff. Is that true?

I don't know to be completely honest, but I'd say it's always a possibility if you go somewhere busy, especially if it's obvious you're a tourist. Unrelated as it was in Paris, but the first time I went there with my family, we arrived and got onto the metro to go to our hotel...and my CD player was stolen en route, straight out of my backpack.

In Scotland, you could see if you could go to Lake Inverness, if you're interested in legends of Nessie.
Loch Ness, please. That's too far to go from Edinburgh, unless you don't mind sitting on a coach all day.

If you're particularly interested in castles, apart from Edinburgh's own I would recommend St Andrews and Doune. The latter (just outside of Dunblane) is where much of Monty Python and the Holy Grail was filmed. Ni!

New Threads

Top Bottom