• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it normal for all nearly 5 year olds not to listen or is it the autism?

inlalaland

I'm back with another of my daily wonders.
My son is a high functioning nearly five year old. I've got basically no experience with kids other than my own.
I see kids out in public that appear to be around his age behaving so well.
He has a very hard time listening.
Examples:
We ask him to stop messing with his sister four and five times and he doesn't stop. We take him out to a store and he very rarely walks with us the whole time. He usually ends up running around and playing something random he comes up with then and there which typically includes him ending up sitting or laying on the floor. I ask him to behave and stop running, yelling, carrying on and he doesn't stop. It is the same thing as when we are home and I ask him to stop messing with his sister, in that I ask a bunch more times and he doesn't stop. My daughter is starting to copy things he does and I worry about her learning all of these behaviors for when we are out in public.
He also constantly worries that his sister will mess with certain toys that he is very particular about where he keeps them. If she does so much as touch one he will yell at her and say she is trying to mess with whatever it is. Meanwhile she is absolutely clueless about his toys and him wanting them where he left them.
I just wonder often if this is typical behaviors or if it is the autism. I figure the placement of the toys is the autism but what about the inability to listen when we ask him to stop doing something?

Thanks a bunch

New Threads

Top Bottom