• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Make friends as a adult. Keeping them impossible.

Tony Ramirez

Neurodiverse
V.I.P Member
I don't understand the difficulty in making friends as a adult. I actually find it quite easy. Making friends as a kid, teenager and after was quite difficult impossible to be exact especially after 18.

Now it's not difficult especially at my 40's. Really I don't see what the fuss is with all the YouTube, social media and Reddit posts complaining.

However I end up losing everyone eventually.

Last edited:
Again you know I faced those barriers big time but I still made friends and still making them. When I was a teenager it was impossible. But because there is something wrong with me they eventually stop hanging out or kick me out of the groups every time.

Last edited:
Full time work can get in the way of making friends.
It can be very draining for a person.
I work full time 40hrs a week M-F, outside of work I don't find I really have the time or desire to go looking to make new friends because after a day of peopling at work I am drained and just want to isolate for the evening and recuperate for the next day. Weekends I purposefully do my shopping early morning when it's slow. But honestly if I wanted to go looking to make new friends I wouldn't have the first damn clue how to go about it. I've never tried to "make" friends, I've always just sort of been adopted by extroverts or randomly encounter cool ND's. Something to think about though.

Also @Tony Ramirez nice to see you back on the forum. You absence was felt.

For me it's easier to make friends in my daydreams. 😂

I work full time 40hrs a week M-F, outside of work I don't find I really have the time or desire to go looking to make new friends because after a day of peopling at work I am drained and just want to isolate for the evening and recuperate for the next day. Weekends I purposefully do my shopping early morning when it's slow. But honestly if I wanted to go looking to make new friends I wouldn't have the first damn clue how to go about it. I've never tried to "make" friends, I've always just sort of been adopted by extroverts or randomly encounter cool ND's. Something to think about though.

Also @Tony Ramirez nice to see you back on the forum. You absence was felt.
If you're feeling overwhelmed but lonely, and have a schedule that keeps you too busy, best things you can do are find one meetup or volunteer organization you might go to once a month at the most. Feel out people you can try to connect with and if one person reaches out to you and/or if you choose to reach out to that one person, ask if you can spend only 1-2 hours with them at most and just chat or do a board game or some casual activity at a cafe or such. Let that person know that you are looking to build a connection, but that your energy time is very limited.

If there is something small you can help them with such as if they need help having something painted and you're really good at that, and it will take "only" an hour or two at the most, you can help them out with that. Or if they are looking for something and you have a lot of knowledge on such and such a thing, you can share a bit of that knowledge. See if they reciprocate naturally. If they don't reciprocate enough, time to "run for the hills". If they reach out to you again and ask to hang out, ask for something that will benefit you and define those boundaries more since they didn't reciprocate properly the last time. Such as, if you made more effort to travel toward them the last time, invite them to do something more convenient for you. If you're planning on doing something but don't care if others show up or not, those kind of events make great things to invite people to.

For instance, I will be attending a vegan macaroni fest open to the public. I've invited other people I want to maintain or build contact with to the event. One acquaintance, after I invited him, he eventually had another event cancel on him and ends up being able to go. But then, he wants to meet me before the event but he offered nothing specific. I just declined and said I might be too tired to do stuff before the event- which is true- as it's actually a distance for both me and that other person.
There are certain people I would do that extra time for, but that person just isn't worth it (yet?)

Flakiness and last minute tend to take up too much energy and maybe even too much time and potentially affect funds as well. If you like to plan, I think that is a good way to try to build more stable friendships. If people don't like to plan, that is okay but you can't take doing things with them seriously. These kind of people, I will tend to ask last minute and/or tend to invite them to things where if they forget to sign up or don't show up, it won't negatively impact my own experience or being. And that's if I have the energy to think about them. . . .Those kind of people who can do things last minute, it's because it's n their nature because of personality and/or they have so many friends and aren't able to regulate that amount of social activity well. So, they just "commit" to everything or say I'm not sure or ask you to remind them. If someone has to ask you to remind them, it's not necessarily a flaky person but it could be. I tend to less frequently reach out to these people if I have to remind them more than once or twice as I only have so much energy even though I feel lonely sometimes too.

If you're feeling overwhelmed but lonely, and have a schedule that keeps you too busy, best things you can do are find one meetup or volunteer organization you might go to once a month at the most. Feel out people you can try to connect with and if one person reaches out to you and/or if you choose to reach out to that one person, ask if you can spend only 1-2 hours with them at most and just chat or do a board game or some casual activity at a cafe or such. Let that person know that you are looking to build a connection, but that your energy time is very limited.

If there is something small you can help them with such as if they need help having something painted and you're really good at that, and it will take "only" an hour or two at the most, you can help them out with that. Or if they are looking for something and you have a lot of knowledge on such and such a thing, you can share a bit of that knowledge. See if they reciprocate naturally. If they don't reciprocate enough, time to "run for the hills". If they reach out to you again and ask to hang out, ask for something that will benefit you and define those boundaries more since they didn't reciprocate properly the last time. Such as, if you made more effort to travel toward them the last time, invite them to do something more convenient for you. If you're planning on doing something but don't care if others show up or not, those kind of events make great things to invite people to.

For instance, I will be attending a vegan macaroni fest open to the public. I've invited other people I want to maintain or build contact with to the event. One acquaintance, after I invited him, he eventually had another event cancel on him and ends up being able to go. But then, he wants to meet me before the event but he offered nothing specific. I just declined and said I might be too tired to do stuff before the event- which is true- as it's actually a distance for both me and that other person.
There are certain people I would do that extra time for, but that person just isn't worth it (yet?)

Flakiness and last minute tend to take up too much energy and maybe even too much time and potentially affect funds as well. If you like to plan, I think that is a good way to try to build more stable friendships. If people don't like to plan, that is okay but you can't take doing things with them seriously. These kind of people, I will tend to ask last minute and/or tend to invite them to things where if they forget to sign up or don't show up, it won't negatively impact my own experience or being. And that's if I have the energy to think about them. . . .Those kind of people who can do things last minute, it's because it's n their nature because of personality and/or they have so many friends and aren't able to regulate that amount of social activity well. So, they just "commit" to everything or say I'm not sure or ask you to remind them. If someone has to ask you to remind them, it's not necessarily a flaky person but it could be. I tend to less frequently reach out to these people if I have to remind them more than once or twice as I only have so much energy even though I feel lonely sometimes too.
All great advice. But you missed the " if I wanted to go looking" part of my post. I don't want to go looking. Unlike many on here, I am honestly content in my solitude and most of the time prefer it.

I hate solitude I had enough of it when I was a teenager young adult I can't stand it I want to be with people but I hate being alone ignored by them that's worse.

even before i joined this forum, website, or just as soon as i became a member, i know at first i was going to find or discover people disclosing their cases or situation regarding reaching a certain age and having never dated or never been in a relationship before, i figure, with autism, it just naturally comes with the territory.

its even sadly not unusual or not unheard of for lots of men without autism to be in situations like that too.

All great advice. But you missed the " if I wanted to go looking" part of my post. I don't want to go looking. Unlike many on here, I am honestly content in my solitude and most of the time prefer it.
I see, I see.

hmm.
Do you drive?
If so, doing Door Dash and Uber Eats require minimal socialization. You can be in your own zone picking up and delivering items for others and making money if so.

Reading, yoga or meditation and following videos online can be really good outlets. Exercise and gardening can be good solo habits. Cleaning and trying to learn DIY where you're living (like improving or fixing a toilet, or cleaning areas to try to make them pristine) can all be therapeutic and solo. I think if you choose things where you can get things accomplished, that can help with doing things on your own the most.

I see, I see.

hmm.
Do you drive?
If so, doing Door Dash and Uber Eats require minimal socialization. You can be in your own zone picking up and delivering items for others and making money if so.

Reading, yoga or meditation and following videos online can be really good outlets. Exercise and gardening can be good solo habits. Cleaning and trying to learn DIY where you're living (like improving or fixing a toilet, or cleaning areas to try to make them pristine) can all be therapeutic and solo. I think if you choose things where you can get things accomplished, that can help with doing things on your own the most.
Thanks I guess. I'm not sure really why you're directing any of that towards me. Especially that last part. Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else? I'm happily independent, have a career, drive, have plenty of hobbies and outlets. All I indicated above initially was that I'm not good at making friends. Not that I don't have them. But this developing good solo habits? Great advice for some but yeah I already do everything you listed there and then some, besides subsidizing other peoples food with my vehicle.

Last edited:
Thanks I guess. I'm not sure really why you're directing any of that towards me. Especially that last part. Are you sure you don't have me confused with someone else? I'm happily independent, have a career, drive, have plenty of hobbies and outlets. All I indicated above initially was that I'm not good at making friends. Not that I don't have them. But this developing good solo habits? Great advice for some but yeah I already do everything you listed there and then some, besides subsidizing other peoples food with my vehicle.
For some reason, I thought you were asking how to better at being able to be solo.
But you're already doing all of that!

My bad!!

For some reason, I thought you were asking how to better at being able to be solo.
But you're already doing all of that!

My bad!!
Hey man it's ok. As I said it's great advice for someone else. I was just really confused with it being directed at me personally. Have yourself a great day.

I def. did not have the social skills i currently have when i was a Child. In primary school i was basically mute.

For me it is also easier to make friends now, but since school is over there is no environment to meet people who are my peers. Thats why it is still difficult

I def. did not have the social skills i currently have when i was a Child. In primary school i was basically mute.

For me it is also easier to make friends now, but since school is over there is no environment to meet people who are my peers. Thats why it is still difficult
I don't feel school is as good an environment as people make it out to be overall besides the learning part.
One thing that is nice about being an adult is actually the fact that you can create your own social spaces. If those social spaces are not working out, you can leave or take steps to leave depending on the situation.

www.meetup.com is a good way to try to build new friendships where a social space is already created for those meetups in existence with people already meeting.

I had enormous difficulty as a teen and young adult to make good friends. This really changed for me when I started getting involved with outings groups like the Sierra Club which had local outings. I found that participation and interest counted for far more than my neurology and I fit in. I started enjoying myself with people and more than anything, this prepared me to meet my future spouse.

I don't feel school is as good an environment as people make it out to be overall besides the learning part.
One thing that is nice about being an adult is actually the fact that you can create your own social spaces. If those social spaces are not working out, you can leave or take steps to leave depending on the situation.

www.meetup.com is a good way to try to build new friendships where a social space is already created for those meetups in existence with people already meeting.

New Threads

Top Bottom