• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Meaning of No Pain No Gain? + More

FoxLovinPat

So I watched a video on YouTube today going over various phrases that either upset or confused autistic people and one of them in particular caught me off guard and inspired me to make this post. And I don't know what kind of engagement I expect from this just felt compelled to post it.

It was the phrase "No pain no gain", and according to the autistic creator making the video it isn't meant to be taken quite literally which threw me because I've always assumed that it was.
I've most commonly heard that phrase used in regard to exercising and working out, and I always assumed that it meant that in order to gain muscle, or perhaps even lose weight, you have to be in pain while working out and that just never appealed to me so I've never really worked out before.
Which got me thinking about other similar phrases and wondering how literally they're meant to be taken too, phrases such as.. "Feel the burn!", and "Pain is weakness leaving the body!". Like are you really supposed to enjoy the burning sensation from working out? Again doesn't sound appealing to me, and do people really think that pain is weakness leaving the body or is it just a saying?
But yeah none of this rhetoric sounded appealing to me, because to me it made it seem like you have to be some level of masochist to work out at the gym, and that you need to embrace and enjoy the pain if you want to see any results. Which my thoughts to all that were.. "Umm no thank you, pain is painful, why would I want to subject myself to that and even enjoy it?"

I had physical jobs all my life, some more physical than others. When changing to a more active job it was painful and tiring for the first couple of weeks until your level of fitness caught up with the requirements of the job, so that saying had very a literal meaning for me.

"Pain is weakness leaving the body!"
If it hurts you know you're not dead yet.

I found literal uses for that one too, many times over. I used to ride bikes a lot.

So if it's not literal, what does it actually mean ?

Yeah I was questioning if the content creator was correct in that assessment or not, and originally stated as such in an earlier draft of the op but I cut that out for whatever reason when I was "trimming the fat", in editing.

It was a confusing inclusion as the creator also at the same time seemed to confirm that it does mean that sometimes you gotta just deal with pain to get gains in life.

So I dunno, just thought it could be an interesting post.
Plus I have been wanting to say something about this kinda rhetoric in a post but I scrapped my original idea for it a couple months ago as I was worried I could offend the regular gym goers here.

There's a theory that's caught hold in popular culture recently of the pain pleasure balance, where we need to press on the pain side of the see-saw to have the capacity to fully experience pleasure. As a society we are all in on the pleasure side but have a depression epidemic; some of this phenomenon has to be behaviour related. The seesaw is out of balance.

That doesn't mean going all in on the pain side though. I agree I don't like those mantras, it seems to be asking for an injury. By all means push yourself but listen to your body. Unfortunately I had that mindset of self punishment and so did my Dad and we both suffered the consequences.

Typically there are two types of pain when you're working out -- muscle soreness (which is very much normal) and really sharp pain, which is usually a warning sign to stop what you're doing immediately or risk serious injury.

Muscle soreness is kind of a good pain, though. When you feel it the next day, it's a reminder that you worked hard and challenged your body, meaning you're gaining muscle. That's essentially what they're talking about -- not the injury sort of pain that makes regular tasks difficult.

Working out (and even suffering through the various aches and pains) is an extremely rewarding experience, though. I highly recommend it

No pain no gain can be taken many ways but generally is associated with working out or vigorous activity. Refers to building strength and muscle. It also more broadly applies to life. Struggle, adversity, and or pain all cause growth in some way.
Like growing pains.
That is a literal and figurative statement. It is painful at times to grow up or grow older. People experience growing pains figuratively when learning something new (or building muscle).

Feel the burn and pain is weakness leaving the body are both literal and figurative too. Literally building muscle, stamina, or strength has a burn, that’s when some acid or chemical is released in the body/ muscles when exercising/ vigorous activity.
Figuratively can be applied to emotional grow or pain.

All of these phrases were very popular when I was in boot camp and throughout the military.

If you don’t challenge yourself physically or emotionally, you can’t really grow all that much. That’s the gist.

I was in a very horrible accident a long time ago.

Could no longer walk or use my left arm and hated my physical therapy because of how much it hurt.

Until the morning that I told myself that I would never get out of a wheelchair or use my arm ever again if I didn't power thru it.
That morning, my therapist gave me a task he wanted me to complete, which was ten leg lifts on each leg.
He left me to go tend to other clients.
When he returned, he asked me how I did.

"I gave you twenty sir"

He said, good, ten each leg.
"No, twenty each leg"
From that session on, no matter how bad it hurt, I gave him double what he asked for each time.

The reward was waking out of that nursing home.
Eventually I put my dead flipper of an arm I was told I would never use again thru much of the same routine.

It is just about as strong as ever now.

No pain, no gain.

All of these phrases were very popular when I was in boot camp and throughout the military.

If you don’t challenge yourself physically or emotionally, you can’t really grow all that much. That’s the gist.

"Can't Means Won't" ? ;)

Last edited:
"No pain, no gain" = "I'm going to make you hurt, hurt, hurt, while telling you how pathetic you are so that the next time I tell you to do something you will just do it, get it done, and ask for more."

Yes, I have been through military boot camp.

So I watched a video on YouTube today going over various phrases that either upset or confused autistic people and one of them in particular caught me off guard and inspired me to make this post. And I don't know what kind of engagement I expect from this just felt compelled to post it.

It was the phrase "No pain no gain", and according to the autistic creator making the video it isn't meant to be taken quite literally which threw me because I've always assumed that it was.
I've most commonly heard that phrase used in regard to exercising and working out, and I always assumed that it meant that in order to gain muscle, or perhaps even lose weight, you have to be in pain while working out and that just never appealed to me so I've never really worked out before.
Which got me thinking about other similar phrases and wondering how literally they're meant to be taken too, phrases such as.. "Feel the burn!", and "Pain is weakness leaving the body!". Like are you really supposed to enjoy the burning sensation from working out? Again doesn't sound appealing to me, and do people really think that pain is weakness leaving the body or is it just a saying?
But yeah none of this rhetoric sounded appealing to me, because to me it made it seem like you have to be some level of masochist to work out at the gym, and that you need to embrace and enjoy the pain if you want to see any results. Which my thoughts to all that were.. "Umm no thank you, pain is painful, why would I want to subject myself to that and even enjoy it?"
There is some truth to both sides of your narrative. In order to achieve the physiologic reactions in the body that are needed for tissue growth (becoming stronger, etc) and the intracellular RNA gene transcription responsible for adaptation (endurance, efficiency of oxygen utilization, etc), the stimulus must of such an intensity to create those reactions. The act of creating that stimulus can require pushing the body to "failure" and it can be, at least transiently, painful. Where the "pleasure" comes is afterward when the body's natural pain relievers kick in (the endorphin rush). Some people are, as they say, "endorphin junkies" and will put themselves through the short-lived pain in order to have a day or two of endorphins. I know, "To each, their own." I lived that life for about 30 years. I spent the majority of my life in competitive athletics.

Thanks for all the responses everyone.

I guess I was maybe hoping there was maybe something to the inclusion of that phrase in that video, that maybe it wasn't so literal but it sounds like it is which unfortunately brings me back to square one.

I just still struggle to understand all this, as I guess it's hard for me to get past the pain talk because to me pain is horrible and something you want to avoid, not pursue.
But these phrases imply that you should pursue pain, that you should embrace pain, that you should enjoy pain.
And it just comes off to me as masochism, and I know for a fact that I don't like pain as it's painful, and it hurts. Yet it seems like if you want to work out, to hit the gym you gotta enjoy pain to some extent and I just can't do that as I'm no masochist.

I guess I'll just cut to the chase..
I'm terrified of the gym, as I'm worried that it'll be full of these pseudo masochistic, super competitive, people who'll quite possibly look down on me and judge me. Because they'd be there lifting hundreds of pounds effortlessly, and I'd come in and struggle to lift the smaller weights and even struggle with the easier exercises. I'm worried they'd look over at me and think me as lesser, as a weakling, as a pathetic loser.
Especially since the truth is I don't want to be muscular, I don't want muscles, I'd just want to lose weight but I dunno if that'd be acceptable in such a setting or if I'd be looked down on as a wuss or something and get kicked out because I don't belong there.

I'm sorry if I came off too strong there, or offended anyone. I'm just finally sharing the thoughts and concerns I've had since Middle School really. Hopefully this wasn't a mistake.

I guess I was maybe hoping there was maybe something to the inclusion of that phrase in that video, that maybe it wasn't so literal but it sounds like it is which unfortunately brings me back to square one.

I just still struggle to understand all this, as I guess it's hard for me to get past the pain talk because to me pain is horrible and something you want to avoid, not pursue.
But these phrases imply that you should pursue pain, that you should embrace pain, that you should enjoy pain.
And it just comes off to me as masochism, and I know for a fact that I don't like pain as it's painful, and it hurts. Yet it seems like if you want to work out, to hit the gym you gotta enjoy pain to some extent and I just can't do that as I'm no masochist.

I'm terrified of the gym, as I'm worried that it'll be full of these pseudo masochistic, super competitive, people who'll quite possibly look down on me and judge me. Because they'd be there lifting hundreds of pounds effortlessly, and I'd come in and struggle to lift the smaller weights and even struggle with the easier exercises. I'm worried they'd look over at me and think me as lesser, as a weakling, as a pathetic loser.
Especially since the truth is I don't want to be muscular, I don't want muscles, I'd just want to lose weight but I dunno if that'd be acceptable in such a setting or if I'd be looked down on as a wuss or something and get kicked out because I don't belong there.

I'm sorry if I came off too strong there, or offended anyone. I'm just finally sharing the thoughts and concerns I've had since Middle School really. Hopefully this wasn't a mistake.
Have you considered exercising at home. (I have never set foot in a gym even once in my life.) Also weights are not necessary to exercise. Especially since you are not trying to build muscle

For bodybuilding, where the term came from (at least in terms of popular culture) there simple explanation for it being a literal truth.

To build up a muscle, you have to overload that muscle - that is, expose it to ,more load than its size and efficiency can handle comfortably. When doing reps, you normally keep going until you almost fail on the last rep.
This means the last reps in a set hurt (lactate buildup).

I don't know if it's 100% true, but I've been told the last reps are the most important ones for building muscle.

Note that using your muscles hurts quite often but it's masked by other bio-chemicals (endorphins).
e.g. I used to notice starting out on short kayak tours (on a local lake). For the first 10-15 minutes my arms hurt all over and I wanted to stop. Then it just went away.

Of course there are a lot of other areas/activities where "no pain, no gain" can be applied, but it's not always literal.

It's not possible to become very muscular quickly, or by accident. From underweight or "wrong mixture of fat and muscle" to "noticeably buff" takes years.

On the other hand, muscle is more dense than fat, so you don't have to lose weight to become smaller and look better.

Rumored to have been first written on an ancient Egyptian stone structure 3000 years ago:
"If you want to lose weight, eat less and exercise more" :)

So you'll have to do some work anyway. The only question is what's convenient, effective, and enjoyable.

Gyms are great, but "gym culture" (which generally respects beginners) is under attack at the moment. Make sure any gym you go to bans cameras and "thirst-traps", and enforces their rules swiftly and consistently.

Having been in competitive athletics most of my life. I was a "gym rat". I have been to many gyms over the many years and have spoken with many a gym owner who is very sensitive to exactly what you are describing. In fact, one of the slogans that Planet Fitness has pushed is this "judgement free zone" and "anti-lunk" environment where people like yourself can come in, do their thing, and not feel like people are looking and judging, nor are there the high school - college aged "bros and hos" there to show off and mock people. All I can say is the gym owners are looking out for that sort of behavior. They want as many people in their gyms as possible and they WILL confront anyone that is being a jerk towards others. There are people of all ages and backgrounds at gyms, probably as many people over 40, as youngsters. Most people are very friendly, and frankly, I really miss the environment.

You may be thinking people are judging you, but in reality, if you actually started interacting, you might find that people are super friendly and are willing to help you out if you ask. Don't let your insecurities get the better of you, because 9/10, it's all in your head and not real.

I am not much into athletic persuits, however I do like to do balancing tricks.
For example:
1. Balancing on my knees on top of a pilates ball while bouncing lightly.
2. Balancing on my knees on my horse's back
3. Lying flat while balanced on two Pilates balls. (one under my shoulders and the other under my thighs)
4. Walking on a narrow board or similar (want to advance to tightrope)
5. Balancing one of those walking canes with the curved top on the palm of my hand straight up and down and bouncing it from one palm to the other and back again while keeping it upright and balanced on either palm as it lands(this often is part of a larger routine that involves other things such as skipping, spinning in a circle, cane twirrling, ect.)

I think there is a large difference between pain and discomfort.
In fact I am almost certain of it. I don’t like pain at all either. Exercise will definitely cause discomfort and soreness, but it does not HAVE to be painful in the sense of a broken bone, laceration, or torn muscle.

Based on what you wrote I think you want to exercise or do cardio to get in better shape. This will cause soreness as you build strength and endurance, but it should not cause literal pain unless you go too far too fast. If you do 10+ real push ups you will probably start to feel the “burn” as the saying goes. Later that day or the next there will be soreness, but it shouldn’t be actual pain. It’s more discomfort.
If you stand still and hold a broom/stick/rifle/ whatever or any light object over your head for a while, you will start to feel the burn just holding the object up in the air. That’s the ATP or lactate or whatever it’s called doing chemical stuff in your body. Same deal, maybe causes soreness but not literal pain.

New Threads

Top Bottom