• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Nvidia 50 Series

Raggamuffin

V.I.P Member
I'd skipped the 40 series. I replaced my 1080 GTX with a 3070TI but didn't replace the rest of the kit (bottleneck), which is running a 6 series i7. So at this point a new build is prudent. Here's a snippet from a recent article:

Below are the RTX 50 series prices that Nvidia are reportedly considering.

RTX 5090 – $1,999 to $2,499
RTX 5080 – $1,199 to 1,499
RTX 5070 – $599 – $699

When the RTX 4080 launched with a price tag of $1,199, everyone thought it was overpriced. There’s a reason why the RTX 4080 SUPER launched with higher specs for $999. With the RTX 5080, Nvidia is reportedly considering a return to its $1,199 price point and even higher prices. Simply put, PC gamers will be angered by this, as nobody wants to see GPU pricing skyrocket any further.

Ed

Simply put, PC gamers will be angered by this, as nobody wants to see GPU pricing skyrocket any further.
I got fed up with nVidia a few years back. Not just with price but also very lackluster performance for that price.

I never used to be a fan of ATI but since owning one I've had no complaints.

Isn't the ATI performance way behind Nvidia though?

I know my main performance issues come from having such an outdated quad core processor. But I'd rather build a whole new computer when the opportunity arises.

Ed

Isn't the ATI performance way behind Nvidia though?
No, roughly on par with each other really, until you look at price. My Radeon 6700XT came with 12 gig of DDR5 ram and 256 Gbits/second bandwidth for Au$500 - about 250 quid. Plays No Man's Sky completely faultlessly and it never even starts to get warm, the fans never whizz up.

The big question for me is: What is this even necessary for?

You DEFINITELY dont need these for modern gaming, no matter what game it is. A 4090 is already seriously pushing it. Heck, my RTX 3090 is way beyond what's necessary for games, and I only have that because of the rendering I do.

I mean, I know the PC gamer crowd will have a collective fit over this and start trying to argue and one-up each other with these new cards, but good grief what a waste of money that always seems to be.

This might just be a "me" thing, but I tend to think that everyone would have a lot less to complain about as price goes, if they'd stop buying power they're never ACTUALLY going to need or use.

Particularly with most games these days being specifically designed to be on both PC and consoles, with everything that implies.

The whole "YOU NEED TO SPEND 5 BILLION DOLLARS TO BUILD A GAMING PC" thing is so strange to me.

I mean, I know the PC gamer crowd will have a collective fit over this and start trying to argue and one-up each other with these new cards, but good grief what a waste of money that always seems to be.
Very well put. I'm pretty happy with my current computer, it runs sweet, does everything I want, and cost me Au$2700 including a nice new 27 inch monitor.

It's just a Core i3 (quad) with 32 gig of ram and a big graphics card. I think the 32 gig of ram is overkill but on occasion I do do a bit of game editing that requires database manipulation.

I guess 4K with steady framerate would be the ideal. I always bought top of the range monitors that my GPUs could never handle. I'd always get the XX80 variants of Nvidia cards. Apart from the one time I bought a 590GTX, that was interesting as it was a sandwiched card within 1.

I'm very sensitive to framerate dips. But these days I just play a few older games. So there's no sense going mad with the GPU.

I would just like more processor cores for my editing and to help me play newer games. I'd also like to go back to an M.2 drive. The specs of the gen 5 are quite outrageous, and I do so much file transferring that I'd really enjoy those crazy read/write speeds.

Ed

I'm seriously considering going all red (AMD) for my next build, mainly for the budget. I'm going to have to upgrade sooner or later since my current build is starting to age with some possible hardware and/or software problems I still can't figure out, and support for Windows 10 is ending soon.

Most of my previous builds were Nvidia and Intel, but next build I think I'm going to explore what AMD has to offer. I'm sorta out of the loop and a little rusty, but still got it and know what I'll need. I can carry over some parts from my current build as well, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Nvidia and Intel may still be leading in performance, okay, but I don't understand this concept of shelling out extra money for...what? A $500 or $1000 bump in price gets you how much more performance? How much more per dollar? I'm not one of the types to game to witness the latest trend in computer graphics, I game to game. I don't need a 16-core CPU with hyper-threading and a GPU 10000 for my favorite games (many emulated games only need a fraction of that kind of power, mind you), and they're not my favorite games because of the eye candy, they're my favorite games because of the gameplay.

I'm very sensitive to framerate dips. But these days I just play a few older games. So there's no sense going mad with the GPU.

Not to mention that in a lot of cases, a better GPU wont stop that from happening with the most modern games, as often those games just arent made very well. Buggy and rushed and all. If they're gonna get wonky, they'll get wonky on anything.

Nvidia and Intel may still be leading in performance, okay, but I don't understand this concept of shelling out extra money for...what?

Bragging rights.

Been like that for ages with the PC gaming crowd.

Also I do think that a lot of people get sorta caught up in hype and such, and in whatever their favorite Youtuber/influencer/blogger/whatever says. Like "HOLY PUDDING THIS NEW GAME IS AMAZING YOU SHOULD BUY ALL OF NASA TO PLAY IT" and so people try to go overboard and spend a ton of money without questioning that. That seems to be a running theme these days, and not just with computer parts.

Granted there CAN be reasons to do it, it's just that it's not very common and not really related to games much of the time. I could do with an upgrade at some point maybe to speed up my rendering further, particularly as I get further into Blender. I've a feeling that once I get to animating stuff I'm gonna be feeling it pretty bad, heck fractal animations are already bad enough. A workstation PC doing things like that or whatever, a heavy boost could help, in that case you'll get real use out of it.

Also right now there's the new Microsoft Flight Simulator about to release, and THAT is the one giant exception in terms of games (if you want to call it that) and power. Even a 4090 isnt enough to truly go all out with that. But even that though isnt REALLY necessary. The thing still looks absolutely mind-bogglingly gorgeous at mid or even low settings. But for those who seriously put a lot into it, like those who built entire complex setups just for flight simming, they're the ones who could do with a major GPU upgrade.

But normal games, even the big AAA ones? Seriously just bragging rights.

Seems to me unless a gamer is totally fixated on ray tracing technology and the games that support it, that it's an expensive gimmick marketed by Nvidia who is well ahead of AMD in this regard. Does one really need ray tracing? Probably not at that price.

Though I agree....is it truly necessary to enjoy games on Windows and perpetually buy into the idea that you have to pay ever increasing prices to keep up with the latest games as opposed to older ones?

Last edited:
Though I agree....is it truly necessary to enjoy games on Windows and perpetually buy into the idea that you have to pay ever increasing prices to keep up with the latest games as opposed to older ones?

I'm just baffled that this idea even exists.

Even the big games, recent ones, will run on a freaking potato now. Or the consoles, which dont exactly cost 5 billionty dollars.

If it can run on the freaking Series S, you absolutely do not need a mega-rig PC to play it. That seems pretty obvious to me, but so many others seem to think you must spend $5000 to play said game if it's the PC version.

I dunno. I always feel like I'm missing something when it comes to the weird gaming PC arms race.

I'd skipped the 40 series. I replaced my 1080 GTX with a 3070TI but didn't replace the rest of the kit (bottleneck), which is running a 6 series i7. So at this point a new build is prudent. Here's a snippet from a recent article:

During COVID, when there was a desperate shortage of computer components, I picked up my uber-computer for around $5,000 Australian Pesos.
It has a 3080TI GPU.
It still works perfectly for all my requirements today, and I buy very demanding video games like Elden Ring.

Below are the RTX 50 series prices that Nvidia are reportedly considering.

RTX 5090 – $1,999 to $2,499
RTX 5080 – $1,199 to 1,499
RTX 5070 – $599 – $699

When the RTX 4080 launched with a price tag of $1,199, everyone thought it was overpriced. There’s a reason why the RTX 4080 SUPER launched with higher specs for $999. With the RTX 5080, Nvidia is reportedly considering a return to its $1,199 price point and even higher prices. Simply put, PC gamers will be angered by this, as nobody wants to see GPU pricing skyrocket any further.

Ed
Price was never an issue for me, since I have lived a very thrifty life in other areas.
I built a "Super Computer" every 3 years to try an compensate for the hackers and garden-variety cheaters on the multi-player PC platform.

BTW,
These days I have given up PVP because I can't be bother with the hacking morons.
No offence to the morons out there. :cool:

My computer is still going strongly, partly because I regularly de-dust the internals these days.
It has been chugging along nicely for the past 3+ years.
I don't think there is a game on the market, that I am interested in, that it can't handle well, at this stage. :cool:

I guess 4K with steady framerate would be the ideal. I always bought top of the range monitors that my GPUs could never handle. I'd always get the XX80 variants of Nvidia cards. Apart from the one time I bought a 590GTX, that was interesting as it was a sandwiched card within 1
I guess one of the reasons why my older computer works well for me is due to the fact I focus, well I used to when playing multiplayer, on response times rather than looks, so all settings were set to the minimum.
Single-player is much less demanding, so I have the enhance appearance as well as the performance, there.

I think I'll be sticking with my 4060TI for a while longer then given those prices. Honestly I'm not even really pushing this and it was an upgrade from I think a 1080 is what I had in this before. All I know is everything I'm playing these days doesn't have issues so there is no point to upgrade. Also not being into VR or 4k gaming I don't need that juice.

These days I have given up PVP because I can't be bother with the hacking morons.

Not to mention toxicity.

I like the *idea* of competitive gaming, but there's only so many angry shrieking jerks I can deal with before my patience runs out.

New Threads

Top Bottom