• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Offer all of the best advise we don't want to hear

1. Wake up with something to do.
2. Helping others with make you feel better than helping yourself.
3. There is no financial incentive for the healthcare system to cure what ails you. All the money is in the treatment. You have to cure yourself.
4. The internet has made us all more connected, yet more lonely, isolated, and depressed. Get off the computer and actually meet people. Stop texting and actually talk to people.

We all can learn, change some and grow, as we all do different things each and every day not exactly like the day before, and as we are not robots with no hearts and brains. Autism is not an excuse to do as we please for everything and to be a victim forever, and to blame everyone else. Make attempts to fix our attitude, then others will like you better, regardless the condition you have. Do not expect others to change any, if you say you cannot yourself.

This is my pep talk to myself.
Keep doing your music Neri, just because you are a weird autist, doesn't mean you are too weird to go back to being a little more musically serious again.
Just because you have a lot to learn, on the technical side and need to pick up that second (and maybe third) instrument, after voice (my body is my instrument) doesn't mean you shouldn't, even though you are in the second half century of your life.
Don't let your past trauma limit your life all your life. Put it behind you and lets get onto it already?
You've done a decent job parenting and now it is time for a little more you-time.
Actually, I already have a second instrument, a little bit, I play the "egg" sometimes. Not for a while though, years now.
I still do my spontaneous compositions with my voice though (bath or shower being my fav venues of late).
It's true that some people like us and some people don't. I get on better with misfits and one-offs, like me, but not always too.
Accept that you need to accept you, more than anyone else needs to accept you.
You need to be your own best friend. Fighting amongst ourself does no good, it just wastes energy.
Take better care of yourself, obviously:
as I have this self, as my primary job, to take care of.

I really enjoy hearing from you on here, and I hope you're feeling better. Also, there are a lot of well-known musicians who are obvious weirdos, and one suspects they probably went into music precisely because they needed a better way to connect to people than words, which I've found startlingly useless in most cases. The way Thom Yorke's eyes move when he's performing make it clear he's all wrapped up in his head when he's singing. REM singer Michael Stipe has the most bizarre and awkward dances in the world, which although I've no desire to replicate them, I'm glad he feels that kind of freedom.

IMG_1933.jpg

This is the one I need to be listening to.

Also my previous post had been in the wrong topic, hah.

Levitator, after a long process of continuous improvement, you should probably set your guitar on fire, unlike Hendrix, who was worth a damn, have your vocal chords excised, and make the commitment to only ever listen to music and never make any.

EDIT: The fact that I've been steadily improving for so long only makes it worse that I'm still awful at it, and every time I switch back to hearing someone who is actually skilled at music, I want to dump the entire pile of musical crap in an incinerator. It's frustrating because I always thought that words were my strong suit, but then it turns out nobody hears those, so you figure music fills the emotional connection that's missing, but I suck at it, and I might waste the rest of my life getting decent to discover nobody can stand what I perform any more than they can my prose.
Play for yourself.

I have such a skewed jumble of musical abilities hampered by impaired fine motor control. After many failed attempts, I am finally playing for myself only. It has opened up a world of joy.

Do not waste your love on yourself.
The common problem around here is that nobody wants what we have to offer. However, I've also been thinking about the solution, and that's that we need to stop looking for "peers". Find people who are less fortunate than you. I so very much miss my one-handed friend, plus she turned out to be wealthy in spirit, and here we are getting beautifully Biblical; to go look for the poor, the blind, and the crippled.

Play for yourself.

I have such a skewed jumble of musical abilities hampered by impaired fine motor control. After many failed attempts, I am finally playing for myself only. It has opened up a world of joy.

Sorry about your troubles. I can't stand the kind of focus needed to multitask the coordination for fretting, strumming, and then singing on top of that. I simply refuse to do anything complicated in that setting. I kind of set my standard there on Billie Joe Armstrong. He does very simple stuff, but he does that stuff well. I play music mostly to enjoy it and feel good about it, and I don't want to have to overthink the daylights out of it for X years of practice. So, that's why I set the bar for myself at Billie, because that is where you mostly just smash all the strings to play a chord and yell your soul into space or the microphone in front of you. I want to throw thoughtless punches at the strings and scream, and have it express something musical and authentic, because that's where my emotions are at. Not in fine intricacy of fingerpicking.

Spiritual people see our similarities. Religious people see our differences.

Lies are more dangerous than guns.

"White" lies are a necessary social lubricant.

Proven facts and logic are not as convincing as a clever jingle.

We are heading for an unprecedented disaster because we are trying to live as if there were still only a billion people needing resources from nature. When we eat meat or feed a pet, a wild animal starves.

There's way too much emphasis on the alpha male beta male nonsense. I don't actually believe they exist, really, because it doesn't allow for a metric of success outside the materialistic standards of money, honor, pleasure, power (the four ends of concupiscence.)

Be a good human being. Take accountability for what you do. And if you want to organize social hierarchy after the manner of dogs that's a very neurotypical way to do it so leave me out. You'll regret it when you mature, if you do.

It's good advice for the right person, but when people direct that at me it falls under the category of "What else do you expect me to do?"
It's not a reproach, and I did ask for the best advice you don't want to hear. However, sometimes you're already doing your best, and people talk to you like you have an alternative. And it's like; I'm physically debilitated, I have nobody to talk to in real life, I already exhausted the only venues I know, I'm not just going to sit and stare at the ceiling and breathe. My mind needs stimulation, even if the Internet is full of trolls and predators.

If I were to give myself advice I know I need, but very seldom follow (as Alice once said):

Remember that rocking horse? The one your dad got you for Christmas when you were two years old? It was missing the hardware, but still, he jerry-rigged it so it would be waiting for you by the tree on Christmas morning. Remember how that felt? Remember how you'd ride that plastic horse for hours, wildly, triumphantly, recklessly, until the springs wore out and needed to be replaced?

Get back on that horse. No matter how many repairs it takes, get back on that horse and ride to your heart's content.

If I were to give myself advice I know I need, but very seldom follow (as Alice once said):

Remember that rocking horse? The one your dad got you for Christmas when you were two years old? It was missing the hardware, but still, he jerry-rigged it so it would be waiting for you by the tree on Christmas morning. Remember how that felt? Remember how you'd ride that plastic horse for hours, wildly, triumphantly, recklessly, until the springs wore out and needed to be replaced?

Get back on that horse. No matter how many repairs it takes, get back on that horse and ride to your heart's content.
You know what's bizarre? I was just telling someone in person, not fifteen minutes ago, that we were having a spiritual experience, that the cat walking by confirmed it, and then I thought about Alice in Wonderland. And here you are. The savant experience rendered mystical, I'd say. I'm glad you're not an orange cat, because then that would just make it weird.

You know what's bizarre? I was just telling someone in person, not fifteen minutes ago, that we were having a spiritual experience, that the cat walking by confirmed it, and then I thought about Alice in Wonderland. And here you are. The savant experience rendered mystical, I'd say. I'm glad you're not an orange cat, because then that would just make it weird.

I would assume someone overheard me somehow, except I never mentioned anything about Alice, so, that kind of settles it for me. Looks like God has locked some of my fellow weirdos in the same spiritual compartment with me. I'd love to hear what inspired discussion of Alice in Wonderland.

It's good advice for the right person, but when people direct that at me it falls under the category of "What else do you expect me to do?"
We're all different, but: going for a walk, walking the dog, cooking, playing with pets, read a book, watch a good show, write, paint. There are many things one can do that calm the brain

New Threads

Top Bottom