• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Ok “spooner”? What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really? I don’t read it that way at all. It’s a weak joke and not that funny, to me, but I think you read a lot more aggression into it than was intended. Feels like you might be projecting a little?
No I’m not projecting it at all. I just have a different experience regarding being constantly shamed by older generations. Often I hear way too much generalizations targeting millennials and Gen Zers and people make excuses for that crap just to justify that.

How exactly is it justifiable for an elderly mother to abuse her adult son/daughter constantly and not see them as a human being?

Well, this I do see your point on, especially being POC and gay myself.
Derogative behavior is never acceptable no matter who is displaying it. If an older or younger person is being an asshole to you, definitely call them out on it because no one deserves to be talked to like that.
But it probably has little to do with what age or generation they are.
Would ageism (young or old) deserve to be treated as lesser than racism or homophobia?

I know what you mean but the bottom line is, older people have more experience and they understand your point. If they don't listen to you, it could be because they know something you still have to learn. I see you're very occupied with offensive things, the world is an offensive place. This is not a Disney movie we live in, the world is rough. It's hard and full of offensive things and unpleasant things. It has always been like that. Grow thick skin is my advice, it helps a lot.
What you may consider as facts or what may seem to be realistic to you does not apply to everyone. If older people ARE more experienced than younger people, then tell me this. Why do child prodigies exist? Why do a lot of elders act immature to the point where it’s a threat? I cannot simply just grow thick skin and allow assholes to trample all over me. Remember some people can be a serious threat and if you don’t address the problems that are being displayed, you won’t be giving yourself the respect you deserve.

Of course you cannot expect others to change, but telling yourself to get over one’s bad behavior even if it could endanger your life is possibly one of the worst types of advice being offered. If you want something done to keep yourself from being endangered, set boundaries. Let them know you’re not going to put up with that behavior and if they continue, get away from these people as far as possible.

Telling others it’s not a Disney movie is not an excuse for others to behave dangerously that could be a serious threat to society. Like I said, boundaries need to be set. It sure as hell can help far more than ignoring the fear for your life.

What do they mean “ Spooner” ?

I have only heard that reference within the context of snuggling someone ??

I see. You are surrounded by it.

I think something important to highlight is that, besides generalized social attitudes, you have also been speaking about abuse:

I wanted to point out how it’s not a good argument regarding abusive relationships
I am actually trying to call those out that engage in abusive behaviors

This would be slightly different than some of the other points about general treatment of each other across generations.

Abusive relationships are personal and inexcusable. There are no jokes, memes, or social slogans (e.g., Okay, Boomer) that justify abuse from one individual to another.

I can go to youtube and spend 24 hours a day looking at videos of bad behavior by any and every category of human. And that's just youtube, where the content is relatively civilized by web standards.

Should I make broad judgements of whatever generation is (was?) that filmed those inane challenges like recording themselves licking food on display in cafe's, restaurants, etc? Or classify those few people as aberrant, and treat everyone else of similar age normally?

"Outrage pr0n" is not representative of normal behavior, and it's not evidence of anything meaningful except that there's no shortage of awful people among the 8 billion humans on the planet.

Families are another matter: small close groups can self-select or groupthink their way into collectively bad attitudes and bad behavior. But that doesn't mean every family is like that.

More generally, a "devils advocate" view: imagine this search for selective outrage was applied to videos by your side in the "culture wars". e.g. someone looked at the behavior of "TheGoodGuys" at protest meetings and the like.

What then? Does the proven (or "faked by editing", since there's no difference on the web) bad behavior of a minority among your in-group justify hating on you?

I reject this entire approach to social interaction, discourse, and politics.

Sadly it's here for a few more decades at least.
Perhaps "forever" (or until the population collapse, which will teach people about cooperative politic discourse the hard way).

Last edited:
I noticed patterns. My grandparents generation was the silent generation they didn’t complain or blame people much for their problems.And taught a certain work ethic .Which is where I learned

My parents (boomers ) blamed the government, their parents, even their children for all of their problems.

Over the years I have noticed these patterns with a lot of boomers but not all that I have associated with . Boomer Co workers used to blame me and scream at me for all the worlds problems for being millennial. I honestly didn’t know what they are talking about I dealt with this for a few years .

Eventually is said using logic - Did you not raise your children ? Was this not your responsibility?
Take responsibility for the way you raised your children, if we are to blame for all the worlds problems.

I said you remind me of a chef who cooks a steak , you over cook the steak . Then you take the steak and yell at it for being overcooked…….

In the context I’m referring to, “spooner” means “I raised you and taught you to feed yourself with a spoon”.
Oh ok I see . Well from my experience kids naturally learn how to do this on their own .yes have to feed them , but they naturally grab a spoon and learn this just from observing their surroundings and all people eating . That is evolution. Parents should not take credit for all of that . In my opinion

I'm a boomer. Proud to have lived this long and expect to live many more years. On the extremely rare occasions when a younger person makes a snide remark about boomers, I sweetly smile and say that if you are lucky, then you, too, will be old someday. Otherwise, you will die young. You don't know what you don't know.

Well this thread went pretty much how I expected it to.
The OP was basically "huh? How is this a joke? it seems offensive".
So now we are talking about generational codifications which don't really mean much other than age range, in the real meaning of things.
Whatever LOL - I'm lumped into one of those groups of generations, so there!

I did not make the joke regarding the t-shirt. And to clear up this confusion, a ‘spooner’ is referring to how an elder was teaching a millennial how to feed themselves using a spoon when they were a baby. The joke screams out “I’m the one who did everything for you, you DARE defy me?!”. When most millennials (or Gen Yers) were born, boomers (or Gen Wers) were the ones reasoning them. First off, no, I don’t find the joke to be very funny. And you’re right, it can also be very confusing if you don’t have enough information regarding the generation gap. But keep in mind, I did NOT make the joke, I wanted to point out how it’s not a good argument regarding abusive relationships.

And no, I’m not trying to put generations against each other. That’s the LAST thing I wanted to do. I am actually trying to call those out that engage in abusive behaviors and go “I did X for you and this is how you pay me back?!”, you know that form of manipulative and harmful behavior. I hope that clears up at least some of the confusion for you.

You simply attempted a rather poor and confusing analogy to make a point which was not in your best interest to make. And given the successive posts that have transpired, I think you now get the point. That's all.

Find something more productive to discuss.

Last edited:
You simply attempted a rather poor and confusing analogy to make a point which was not in your best interest to make. And given the successive posts that have transpired, I think you now get the point. That's all.

Find something more productive to discuss.
I find you to be rather harsh towards the OP. I don't find much interest in the topic, but it did spark conversation.
Maybe just don't read the thread any more? There is no need to scold @2Fragile2TakeCriticism

I find you to be rather harsh towards the OP. I don't find much interest in the topic, but it did spark conversation.
Maybe just don't read the thread any more? There is no need to scold @2Fragile2TakeCriticism
No need to scold me either. It didn't spark conversation. It sparked something else.

One that skirts along the terms and conditions of this site. Our society has enough contentious and divisive complaints against one another and doesn't need another based on generalized ageism.

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."

No need to scold me either. It didn't spark conversation. It sparked something else. One that skirts along the terms and conditions of this site.

"You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws."
I don't think any offense was intended. I didn't think it would, when I first read it.
Didn't mean to scold you, I'm sorry. I just found your tone hostile, and maybe I was mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom