• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Things on tv that scared you as a child?

1. Sideshow Bob (Cape Feare, The Simpsons)
2. Cruella De Vil (especially in that game my stepsister played)
3. Treehouse Of Horror V: When they said it was the most disturbing Halloween show ever THEY WEREN'T KIDDING!

Suddenly I don't feel so repulsive and unlovable. Thank you for posting this sir!

You're welcome, even though I don't quite understand why being scared of things on tv when you were a child would make you repulsive and unloveable.

Speaking of childhood tv traumas, here's a short documentary that I found interesting:

Oh yeah, and here's the most evil and scary tv logo thing OF ALL TIME:

Last edited by a moderator:

That weird CG creature (@ the 0:15 to 0:25 mark) was pretty much the only thing that scared me as a kid.

It probably was because I had no clue what would happen to people being digitized. And I didn't really want to leave "this world". And thinking about it now, it is a weird analogy to "the afterworld" probably.

The sign off sequences that used to air back in the late 80s to early/mid 90s late at night. They were present on just about every TV station at the time save for a couple, and I developed a fear of blank screens for quite a while. I don't know why at the time, but I always thought something would pop out of the screen and chase me at any moment. Even now I occasionally become fearful of a blank TV screen, though it rarely happens anymore.

Another thing I'd mention: EAS alerts. Those send me into a panic every time...

I get this sense of fear and urgency. Also, funny enough, I keep expecting "instructions" every time I hear one of these. What do I do next: rush to my bomb shelter? Grab some weapons? Get in the basement? Look out for zombies? OK, maybe not, but still :S

I was always frightened by EAS alerts, also; I was convinced the sound emitted summoned monsters.

I was also very scared by any advertisement for horror movies. In fact, I spoke to my parents about how I was going to write a letter to all the directors in Hollywood and say: "How can you make movies like this? Don't you know it scares little kids?!"

I cant remember the name of it. It was something like "Bed Time Stories"? I think. Anyway it was a childs movie that parents were supposed to play to help their kids go to sleep. No way was that movie gonna make me sleepy, it just made me terrified haha it was like a low-budget creepy version of the muppets. It still terrifies me

I think the only thing that ever scared me as a kid was seeing one of the living dead films when I was 4. My parents were watching it and I said I'd had a nightmare and wanted to sleep on the sofa next to my mum. I pretended to go to sleep but watched the whole thing and I had nightmares for about 2 years after that and would sleep at the bottom of my bed with just a tiny gap to breathe through, I was convinced zombies were going to come get me but if I hid under the covers they'd think it was an empty bead :lol:

Clowns. Anything with clowns scares me. I tried to watch It to help me get through it but no it made it worse. Still have nightmares about that stupid freaking clown.

the computer virus creature from the show 'goosebumps' gray skin, brain showing, a computer cable replacing its hand.... messed me up for a good few days afterwards, the image would pop up in my head for no reason and freak me out

I am an avid fan of Space 1999 and this episode gave me nightmares!
I was 4yrs old.
I had a huge crush on Maya also!:D

Seeing the raw footage from the Vietnam war: back then, war journalism was uncensored. The images in Time magazine & Life magazine were truly shocking & I was very young at the time.

My parents were watching this spider horror movie, where a tarantula was underneath this guy's skin. It was crawling, but it was underneath, not over. Okay, I say it scared me back then but thinking about it more now makes me shiver.

I remember watching the show "V" and seeing these people tearing off their faces to reveal the fact that they were aliens. That scared the everliving dickens out of me, more so than did the "Nightmare On Elm Street" movies.

Bozo the clown, i liked seeing the thing where they had these buckets and each one was farther away, and they would pick a kid out of the audience and they would win a prize for each bucket they got it in. Bozo he he scared me. I am scared of clowns I think, because of my first grade teacher, she had grey hair that was short and curly and reminded me of a clown wig without all the colors. And she wore so much make up on her face, to me she looked like a clown. Whenever one of us kids had a birthday she would have lay over her lap and she would give us birthday spankings, the rest of us kids would sit in front around her, just like we would when she read us a story. She would hit us so hard, and I still remember seeing the tears coming down from one of the boy's faces. So I think she is the reason i am afraid of clowns.

The movie "The Birds." My brothers & I were very young...we weren't supposed to watch that film. Scared the Aspie crap out of me...

When I was nine, I watched an episode of The Simpsons with Sideshow Bob in it. It was the creepiest thing ever! The tattoo on his back, the evil laugh, the threatening messages and THE VOICE! Didn't really sleep that night, I thought someone was going to come at me with a knife! Spent the rest of the school year traumatised...

Did you like the bit where he gets hit in the face 9 times with rakes?

I had a few things that scared me when I was a kid.

1. The scene in All Dogs go to Heaven, where Charlie has a nightmare about going to Hell. That still freaks me out to this day and is probably the main reason for my phobia of dying. Don Bluth was certainly good at making scary kids films.
All Dogs Go To Heaven Part 7 - YouTube - (starts at 2:00)

2. The wolf from Disney's Peter and the Wolf - just seeing it roar at the beginning with that music scared the wits out of me.

3. When I was in school, we were watching a load of old adverts - some of which were creepy or downright terrifying. The fire safety one is the worst.

Electricity Safety - The Football:

Water Safety - Lonely Water:

Drink and Driving - Kathy Can't Sleep:

Fire Safety - Searching:

New Threads

Top Bottom