• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What types of games are preferred?

Neia

V.I.P Member
What kinds of games do you prefer?

Do some types of games give you anxiety?

I love watching some games, like:
The Long Dark
Frost Punk
Generation Zero
Seven Days to Die
The Last of Us
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ark
Days Gone

But I know I wouldn't be able to play them because they'd give me anxiety.
I have They Are Billions, and have uninstalled it because I'd start playing and after a while my legs would start going, and I'd begin to feel physically ill.

I usually play builders. Base builders are my favourite, specially if they have the sandbox/god mode available.
I love building.

I have:
Rimworld
Oxygen Not Included
Timberborn

And a few others like those.

I really want to play 7 Days to Die. But fear spending money for nothing if then I can't play it because of my anxiety.

Are there any games that are more "inadvisable" for people on the spectrum?

Are there tricks to train our brains to deal with these sorts of limitations?

Not only for gaming purposes either, but for daily life pressure.

I prefer playing Go.

I think I need to ask Google Translate about the rest of your post - it seems to be in another language. :D

I prefer playing Go.

I think I need to ask Google Translate about the rest of your post - it seems to be in another language. :D
I always lose when I play board games alone 😆
Or card games.

Well, here's a question for you: When you get that anxiety from a game (or whatever) are you aware of any specific elements that trigger it? Like horror games for instance, I've seen plenty of people that like them, but their trigger point is loud jumpscares, so despite liking the themes and stories, they cant play them.

Perhaps try something of the same genre, but with a lighter tone or something like that?

Though, some games are sort of inherently stressful, or they have certain elements that can lead to a sort of overload. Not necessarily like, fear overload, but in some cases even something like "data overload". Like They are Billions, that's an RTS, a genre notorious for being overwhelming simply due to so many moving parts that it forces you to deal with all at once (and the more mistakes you make, the more chaotic it gets). Yeah you can pause and give orders in that one (I think) but still, that genre is like that. If you combine that with a theme that makes you nervous, that can be a problem.

So, maybe something more lighthearted that plays similar somehow? Or perhaps find someone to watch who can make anything funny. Like, horror games are naturally sources of stress... they're designed to be... but if you're watching someone who plays it and that person is also hilarious, that's gonna maybe knock the anxiety factor down a bit. I dunno, that comes to mind as sort of a potential "exposure" tactic.

I dont really get anxiety from gaming myself, but I'm also almost completely desensitized. Too much exposure to them, so even really jumpy horror games dont do anything to me. I can however get overly frustrated if something doesnt work right or if some design element gets on my nerves too much.

Base builders I do like in theory, though I dont play them all that often. The city-builder sort tends to just be too easy for some reason, and I need a challenge for something to hold my attention, and something like Rimworld, well... I already play Dwarf Fortress, it's hard to want to play something else of the same type after having gone through the horrid learning curve for that game.

I do play factory games though, which are kinda similar. Factorio, Satisfactory, others... I aint too good at them, the resulting factory usually ends up looking like a metal spaghetti mistake, but they sure are a darned good time.

Survival games like 7 Days to Die, on the other hand, not too familiar with that type. Minecraft (and its many clones) I do know, or maybe Palworld, that's the extent of my knowledge there.

Really though I'll play any genre (that isnt sports), but my personal favorites are roguelikes, shmups, fighting games, horror. And I'm like really into strategy games lately for some reason (turn-based).

Well, here's a question for you: When you get that anxiety from a game (or whatever) are you aware of any specific elements that trigger it? Like horror games for instance, I've seen plenty of people that like them, but their trigger point is loud jumpscares, so despite liking the themes and stories, they cant play them.

Perhaps try something of the same genre, but with a lighter tone or something like that?

Though, some games are sort of inherently stressful, or they have certain elements that can lead to a sort of overload. Not necessarily like, fear overload, but in some cases even something like "data overload". Like They are Billions, that's an RTS, a genre notorious for being overwhelming simply due to so many moving parts that it forces you to deal with all at once (and the more mistakes you make, the more chaotic it gets). Yeah you can pause and give orders in that one (I think) but still, that genre is like that. If you combine that with a theme that makes you nervous, that can be a problem.

So, maybe something more lighthearted that plays similar somehow? Or perhaps find someone to watch who can make anything funny. Like, horror games are naturally sources of stress... they're designed to be... but if you're watching someone who plays it and that person is also hilarious, that's gonna maybe knock the anxiety factor down a bit. I dunno, that comes to mind as sort of a potential "exposure" tactic.

I dont really get anxiety from gaming myself, but I'm also almost completely desensitized. Too much exposure to them, so even really jumpy horror games dont do anything to me. I can however get overly frustrated if something doesnt work right or if some design element gets on my nerves too much.

Base builders I do like in theory, though I dont play them all that often. The city-builder sort tends to just be too easy for some reason, and I need a challenge for something to hold my attention, and something like Rimworld, well... I already play Dwarf Fortress, it's hard to want to play something else of the same type after having gone through the horrid learning curve for that game.

I do play factory games though, which are kinda similar. Factorio, Satisfactory, others... I aint too good at them, the resulting factory usually ends up looking like a metal spaghetti mistake, but they sure are a darned good time.

Survival games like 7 Days to Die, on the other hand, not too familiar with that type. Minecraft (and its many clones) I do know, or maybe Palworld, that's the extent of my knowledge there.

Really though I'll play any genre (that isnt sports), but my personal favorites are roguelikes, shmups, fighting games, horror. And I'm like really into strategy games lately for some reason (turn-based).
I have no problem watching other people playing most games, except for horror (ghosts etc.) because of the jump-scares and that some are just stupid. 🙈
Some Gammers I can't watch because they don't play the game "properly".

But my triggers, I think come, when I get overwhelmed by having to pay attention at too many things at the same time.

I like stuff like Deep Rock Galactic and others, to watch... but know I'll probably not be able to play them.

I wanted to try 7DTD because you can build in it, and destroy anything in it. 😅

I watch Gamers play 7DTD all the time. As long as they play it properly. 😆😂

Last edited:
A few classic board games: mostly Backgammon, Checkers, and Chess.

Most tabletop role-playing games: mostly BESM, D&D, GURPS, and Traveller.

The card games I enjoy are Blackjack, Euchre, and most of the variations on Poker.

I'm mostly in to strategy games and really don't have any interest in first person shooters. I was in to MineTest big time for quite a few years and I still keep going back to it every now and then. I play with no monsters or NPCs, I just like building stuff. I built a really huge and very accurate model of Angkor Wat one time, it's still available for download around the place.

I like No Man's Sky, the graphics is pretty good and it's a game that you can play at your own pace and in your own style. I never play online though, not any games ever, exactly like you said about watching gamers, they do it wrong and it's annoying.

And for the past couple of months I've been engrossed in Skyrim. I love it but I don't play it how it's meant to be played. I'm not interested if the fighting part of the game at all. I play in god mode and it's fun exploring new things that open up as you complete more quests. It's a huge game.

A few classic board games: mostly Backgammon, Checkers, and Chess.

Most tabletop role-playing games: mostly BESM, D&D, GURPS, and Traveller.

The card games I enjoy are Blackjack, Euchre, and most of the variations on Poker.
I have to play alone.
Nobody I know likes playing any games.

I'd love playing D&D. But I'm the only person in my family or friends group who likes games 🤷🏻‍♀️

I'm mostly in to strategy games and really don't have any interest in first person shooters. I was in to MineTest big time for quite a few years and I still keep going back to it every now and then. I play with no monsters or NPCs, I just like building stuff. I built a really huge and very accurate model of Angkor Wat one time, it's still available for download around the place.

I like No Man's Sky, the graphics is pretty good and it's a game that you can play at your own pace and in your own style. I never play online though, not any games ever, exactly like you said about watching gamers, they do it wrong and it's annoying.

And for the past couple of months I've been engrossed in Skyrim. I love it but I don't play it how it's meant to be played. I'm not interested if the fighting part of the game at all. I play in god mode and it's fun exploring new things that open up as you complete more quests. It's a huge game.
Exactly!!!

I don't mind playing the game, as long as I'm allowed to have god mode ir sandbox or creative. Because I play to relax, not to enhance my anxiety.

I love No Man's Sky, watching it.
There's a guy, Tolakram, that I really enjoy watching. Although I wish he'd be more into base building on that game.
He also plays Foundation and his cities are gorgeous.

I love No Man's Sky, watching it.
I liked it because there's very little fighting that you have to do, I liked exploring and building bases. I bought the GOG version so that I didn't have to join Steam and go online to play it. So no other humans to interfere with my game and the few compulsory battles you have to fight are pretty easy. An added bonus is that I don't have automatic updates the way I'm set up. I bought the specific version that I like and I'm happy with it just the way it is.

I liked it because there's very little fighting that you have to do, I liked exploring and building bases. I bought the GOG version so that I didn't have to join Steam and go online to play it. So no other humans to interfere with my game and the few compulsory battles you have to fight are pretty easy. An added bonus is that I don't have automatic updates the way I'm set up. I bought the specific version that I like and I'm happy with it just the way it is.
Can you build in Skyrim?

The only times I watched this being played I didn't see any base building.

I'm the person who bought the Sims so she could build houses 😂 I don't play the game, I just build.

No, you can't build unless you also install the Creation Kit which you can only get from Steam, but there's a huge modbase at Nexus where you can install other people's creations. I've been having a lot of fun exploring and experimenting.

No, you can't build unless you also install the Creation Kit which you can only get from Steam, but there's a huge modbase at Nexus where you can install other people's creations. I've been having a lot of fun exploring and experimenting.
I need to be able to build. Otherwise I get bored with the game.

My big time sinks have been OpenTTD, Factorio, Dyson Sphere Program. You get the pattern. I need a better computer though, they tend to get HUGE. MY map on DSP hardly runs now, just turns the laptop into a glowing ember.

Used to love Final Fantasy, but preferred 6-12. The more action oriented the fights got and the less you'd spend hours with the build systems, the less interested I became. 7 and 8 are still the two for me.

Might try Satisfactory soon, but need to have time to do so or it will eat into things I should be doing if it's anything like the others.

New Threads

Top Bottom