• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What types of games are preferred?

Can you build in Skyrim?

The only times I watched this being played I didn't see any base building.

I'm the person who bought the Sims so she could build houses 😂 I don't play the game, I just build.
You can design your home, but you can't build it from scratch. You can with one dlc, but it's more like "click on the button to give 50 food and look how the building magically appeared in front of you", not the standard building system like in Valheim or Minecraft.

I really want to play 7 Days to Die. But fear spending money for nothing if then I can't play it because of my anxiety.
I didn't read yet what others wrote, so sorry if I'm repeating them, but every game on Steam can be refunded, if you played it for less than 2 hours. That's enough time for you to get the feel of the game.

Last edited:
I didn't read what others wrote, so sorry if I'm repeating them, but every game on Steam can be refunded, if you played it for less than 2 hours. That's enough time for you to get the feel of the game.
I recently got a game that kept crashing. Mercury Fallen. I tried, and tried, and tried to get it to work, but it wouldn't. And I lost track of time. So when I finally gave up, the 2 hours had passed 😅

I blame my extremely persistent stubbornness for not getting that refund.

But the dev has fixed the bug, so i'll install it again some time.

Can you build in Skyrim?

The only times I watched this being played I didn't see any base building.

I'm the person who bought the Sims so she could build houses 😂 I don't play the game, I just build.
Actually there is building in Skyrim, though it's limited to houses.
One of the dlc, Hearthfire I believe, adds 3 locations to the game where you can buy a plot of land and build a house on it, add rooms to it, decorate it, etc. Though I'd say it is very limiting as I don't think it's free build but more modules you can choose to place down. Mods might make this system more extensive, I dunno as I never looked for such mods.

There is however a Bethesda game with a prominent building element to it, that being Fallout 4 ofc. As it has a settlement system where you can build settlements in various designated places of the open world, and one of the main factions is solely focused on this element of the game. Though as Fallout 4, like Skyrim, is a RPG there is a main story quest to it, and various side quests.. heck even the settlements require quests to obtain and regular quests to "go protect the settlement from attackers!" or "save one of your settlers because they got captured!" and if you fail to protect the settlement, certain structures and crops there will take damage and need repaired, which can happen even if you are there to protect the settlement if the battle ends up being around your farms. You could ofc just turn on god mode for this game too, and the settlement system does encourage exploring in order to find scrap to build your settlements with.

I do recall finding an overhaul mod for the game that removes all the quests and just lets you explore the open world and build settlements, it adds it's own quests to obtain settlers by rescuing them, and also lets you reprogram the robots scattered around the world to be workers at your settlements. Been meaning to make a playthrough dedicated to that overhaul but haven't gotten around to it yet. There's also a sister mod for that overhaul that does the same thing but also turns it into a zombie apocalypse survival game, where you have to clear out the areas infested with zombie hoards before they can grow strong enough to threaten your settlements. Though that one would probably not be of interest to either of you as it'd probably be too anxiety inducing to just have hordes of "zombies" (they're actually Fallout's ghouls) everywhere that you have to deal with. Which that particular overhaul is supposedly based off of the zombie survival game, State of Decay, which plays similarly.

I like playing DnD, and in general escape/riddle games. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who likes escape/riddle games as well.
Oh, I also really like chess, but I get easily frustrated when playing it. Either it goes great for me, or I get mad. Sometimes I feel like my brain is on top, foreseeing several moves and making good combinations, and sometimes it's all mushy and I can't think. I think I like more the concept of chess, the haptics of the pieces, etc., not really playing myself.
As video games, I only play Nintendo, and I like adventure games, preferably without much fighting. If there's fighting included, I do it (like in Pokemon or Zelda), but only so that I can continue the story. I could do without the fights and battles. I love exploring everything, talking to all the NPCs etc, so I love games which have a good story, preferably with some interesting psychological twists etc. I also like mystery-solving games.

Last edited:
To answer the question of the op though, I enjoy a number of different games. I've played shooters, rts, rpgs, tycoon games, and a couple of mobas. I've also played mmos but I guess I've lost my patience for them in recent years because I don't really play them anymore.. used to play Runescape and a couple of other browser based mmos all the time back in the day.

I got really into Xcom 2 for a good while at one point, but I definitely couldn't play it unmodified as that game would be too brutal for me otherwise. Had to download cheaty mods that made the game easier for me, such as giving me more starting resources, extending the Avatar program's progress bar so it doesn't proceed as fast seeing as before I did that that gave me a lot of anxiety because if you don't progress fast enough to counter it then the aliens will succeed with their Avatar project and I didn't want to find out what would happen if they did seeing as the game hypes it up as a "game over" situation. I also downloaded a bunch of solider class mods, which made my soldiers more powerful so it made the combat much easier.. which those mods are meant to be used in conjunction with mods that make the aliens more powerful too but umm yeah no, not interested in those.
Even with my heavily modded game I'd still have to contend with the game's strangely coded accuracy system where you can have a high % chance to hit and still miss somehow.
Funnily enough I think I had the most fun, and spent the most amount of time in that game, playing "dress up" with my soldiers and making them look cool before sending them off to fight the aliens and seeing my cool custom soldiers in action. Due to this I ofc downloaded a bunch of mods that add more customization options to the game, and I had themed playthroughs as a result like using mods that added "lore friendly" customization options, ones that added modern military gear as customization, and I had one where I was essentially playing Halo in Xcom 2 because all my soldiers looked like characters from Halo.
Oh yeah and I also cheated via "save scumming", as you can save at any point in the game (unless you play with ironman mode on) so if something happened on a mission that I didn't like, such as a solider being killed, I'd just undo it. Which yeah yeah yeah, I wasn't playing the game as intended and was cheating a lot but again if I wasn't cheating via mods and save scumming then I wouldn't be able to play the game at all. Heck even with all that I'd still encounter times where I had to quit due to the accuracy system repeatedly screwing me over, or in one instance I royally messed up by falling behind on researching upgrades for my soldier's gear so the aliens tech eventually surpassed mine and made the game pretty much impossible even with my cheaty mods and save scumming.

That tangent aside, to answer the other part of the question regarding games I couldn't play due to anxiety or other issues...
Any "soul's like" game, since those games are intestinally designed to be challenging and anxiety inducing I definitely couldn't play them and thusly haven't touched them. I feel like if I tried I'd "rage quit" not too far into the game due to how unfair those games can be.
I can watch others play the games though, which can be entertaining, especially if the player is good and knows what they're doing in those types of games. I know eventually you learn the patterns of the games through trial an error and can learn to dodge, parry, etc the attacks but that requires a lot of patience and a lot of dying so umm yeah, definitely not games for me at all.

I guess I can add other games here too that are designed to be challenging by design, as I don't think I'd have the patience for that and would just quit before I can get to the point of learning the mechanics and patterns of the game.
Granted I haven't tried them but I feel like I also might have issues if I were to play a survival game that's on the harder side, where you really have to conserve your resources as they're much more limited and hard to find as I dunno if I'd be able to conserve my resources well enough so I'd have to regularly deal with the anxiety of "crap I don't have this necessary resource now because I wasn't conserving it well enough! I'm doomed now!"

Oh and games with permadeath, I don't think I could do that because I'd probably be rather upset to lose all that progress and have to start over again.
The exception to this is certain roguelikes, which yeah do have permadeath, but I have found enjoyment in a few roguelike games.. such as Gunfire Reborn, as an example.

Oh yeah forgot to add this to my previous post but a few of you mentioned tabletop games such as D&D.
I've wanted to be able to get into such games myself, but the issue I've faced for a good while is that I don't really know/have anyone to play with.

My father, who wanted to get me into such games, did DM a couple of adventures for me where I was the sole player and he controlled the rest of the party. It was rather fun, and since he played D&D back when it was still new to the market he was a fairly good DM and played the rest of my party quite well too, whereas I on the otherhand didn't play my character too well but then I was new so that's understandable really.

I still have the D&D stuff my father bought for me, but rn it's just collecting dust in my closet.
I used to regularly mess around with it and made characters, dungeons, monster variants, and adventure ideas but the issue was I couldn't use any of it since I didn't have anybody to play with so I dunno why I did it as I just ended up with pages, and pages of stuff that just went unused and that I eventually just ended up throwing away when I moved out of my parent's house. I guess it was just something I enjoyed doing even if I couldn't actually use any of it? Or maybe some part of me hoped I could put it to use someday, despite me being a loner at the time that didn't open myself up to the friendship of others out of fear.

To answer the question of the op though, I enjoy a number of different games. I've played shooters, rts, rpgs, tycoon games, and a couple of mobas. I've also played mmos but I guess I've lost my patience for them in recent years because I don't really play them anymore.. used to play Runescape and a couple of other browser based mmos all the time back in the day.

I got really into Xcom 2 for a good while at one point, but I definitely couldn't play it unmodified as that game would be too brutal for me otherwise. Had to download cheaty mods that made the game easier for me, such as giving me more starting resources, extending the Avatar program's progress bar so it doesn't proceed as fast seeing as before I did that that gave me a lot of anxiety because if you don't progress fast enough to counter it then the aliens will succeed with their Avatar project and I didn't want to find out what would happen if they did seeing as the game hypes it up as a "game over" situation. I also downloaded a bunch of solider class mods, which made my soldiers more powerful so it made the combat much easier.. which those mods are meant to be used in conjunction with mods that make the aliens more powerful too but umm yeah no, not interested in those.
Even with my heavily modded game I'd still have to contend with the game's strangely coded accuracy system where you can have a high % chance to hit and still miss somehow.
Funnily enough I think I had the most fun, and spent the most amount of time in that game, playing "dress up" with my soldiers and making them look cool before sending them off to fight the aliens and seeing my cool custom soldiers in action. Due to this I ofc downloaded a bunch of mods that add more customization options to the game, and I had themed playthroughs as a result like using mods that added "lore friendly" customization options, ones that added modern military gear as customization, and I had one where I was essentially playing Halo in Xcom 2 because all my soldiers looked like characters from Halo.
Oh yeah and I also cheated via "save scumming", as you can save at any point in the game (unless you play with ironman mode on) so if something happened on a mission that I didn't like, such as a solider being killed, I'd just undo it. Which yeah yeah yeah, I wasn't playing the game as intended and was cheating a lot but again if I wasn't cheating via mods and save scumming then I wouldn't be able to play the game at all. Heck even with all that I'd still encounter times where I had to quit due to the accuracy system repeatedly screwing me over, or in one instance I royally messed up by falling behind on researching upgrades for my soldier's gear so the aliens tech eventually surpassed mine and made the game pretty much impossible even with my cheaty mods and save scumming.

That tangent aside, to answer the other part of the question regarding games I couldn't play due to anxiety or other issues...
Any "soul's like" game, since those games are intestinally designed to be challenging and anxiety inducing I definitely couldn't play them and thusly haven't touched them. I feel like if I tried I'd "rage quit" not too far into the game due to how unfair those games can be.
I can watch others play the games though, which can be entertaining, especially if the player is good and knows what they're doing in those types of games. I know eventually you learn the patterns of the games through trial an error and can learn to dodge, parry, etc the attacks but that requires a lot of patience and a lot of dying so umm yeah, definitely not games for me at all.

I guess I can add other games here too that are designed to be challenging by design, as I don't think I'd have the patience for that and would just quit before I can get to the point of learning the mechanics and patterns of the game.
Granted I haven't tried them but I feel like I also might have issues if I were to play a survival game that's on the harder side, where you really have to conserve your resources as they're much more limited and hard to find as I dunno if I'd be able to conserve my resources well enough so I'd have to regularly deal with the anxiety of "crap I don't have this necessary resource now because I wasn't conserving it well enough! I'm doomed now!"

Oh and games with permadeath, I don't think I could do that because I'd probably be rather upset to lose all that progress and have to start over again.
The exception to this is certain roguelikes, which yeah do have permadeath, but I have found enjoyment in a few roguelike games.. such as Gunfire Reborn, as an example.
I bought Subsistence years ago. The game is beautiful, but even easy game is hard.
You know you are going to die often.

It's a game with looting, exploration, survival and base building. But no sandbox/god/creative mode.
I love watching others play it, but had to give it up because some animal or starvation were always killing me.

Oh yeah forgot to add this to my previous post but a few of you mentioned tabletop games such as D&D.
I've wanted to be able to get into such games myself, but the issue I've faced for a good while is that I don't really know/have anyone to play with.

My father, who wanted to get me into such games, did DM a couple of adventures for me where I was the sole player and he controlled the rest of the party. It was rather fun, and since he played D&D back when it was still new to the market he was a fairly good DM and played the rest of my party quite well too, whereas I on the otherhand didn't play my character too well but then I was new so that's understandable really.

I still have the D&D stuff my father bought for me, but rn it's just collecting dust in my closet.
I used to regularly mess around with it and made characters, dungeons, monster variants, and adventure ideas but the issue was I couldn't use any of it since I didn't have anybody to play with so I dunno why I did it as I just ended up with pages, and pages of stuff that just went unused and that I eventually just ended up throwing away when I moved out of my parent's house. I guess it was just something I enjoyed doing even if I couldn't actually use any of it? Or maybe some part of me hoped I could put it to use someday, despite me being a loner at the time that didn't open myself up to the friendship of others out of fear.
I create characters, then write them into my stories.

1720447858466.png

Farming is a game?

I joke about this because I played a lot of Harvest Moon growing up. (Mostly Harvest Moon Cute) and often wished that I could have a life that was similar. Little did I know that my dream of mine is going to be reality.

So - Harvest Moon + Stardew Valley

Rimwold - Looove love love that game.

Lethal Company

Visual Novels (though they aren't game-y games?)

Silent Hill 1-3

Shooters like L4D2, Warhammer Vermintide. I wanted to try 40k Darktide but have heard mixed reviews.

JRPGs

Fire Emblem games

A lot more...

I do like card games such as Solitude, Goldfish, and King's Corner.

It sounds like you would like Factorio. If you turn off the biters, or adjust settings to make them less bitey, there is no time pressure. You can build all you want in peace. Just be sure your schedule is clear for a while. If you are a Factorio kind of person, it may be hard to stop playing.

It sounds like you would like Factorio. If you turn off the biters, or adjust settings to make them less bitey, there is no time pressure. You can build all you want in peace. Just be sure your schedule is clear for a while. If you are a Factorio kind of person, it may be hard to stop playing.

Yeah, I'd agree with this.

Based on all the stuff listed, @Neia , I do think you'd quite like Factorio. Granted it's not the easiest thing to get into, after all the whole point is building this ever-growing factory and dealing with logistics and such, it might take a video tutorial or two to get started (the in-game tutorials arent the best) and there's points when you might get a bit stuck (when it's time to deal with pipes and oil is the main confusion point) but for anyone that likes base building and whatnot, the game is like a hyper-addictive drug. "The factory must grow" and all. Honestly one of the best games I've ever seen. Absolutely brilliant.

And yeah there's these bug things, the biters, that will attack your base every now and then (they're intended to be sort of a stress test against your factory, like is your setup supplying defense turrets efficiently enough to push them back, you arent supposed to directly fight them yourself too much) but they can be turned off or just toned down. Your ultimate goal isnt to defeat them, your goal is to build a rocket.

Though any long-time Factorio fan knows the real enemy is the trees anyway.

The game can also be modded in like a million different ways. It's one of those games that got really big, entire Youtube careers were launched off of it even... yeah, THAT kind of big. So there's also a zillion different mods of all sorts for it. On Steam, anyway.

I know I sure like the game. Not very good at it, some players can make like these super efficient and organized setups, I end up with this tangled nonsense ball of conveyor belts and who knows what else. But the developers really emphasize that there's a million ways to approach any challenge the game puts out, rather than trying to force anyone into the "correct" solution or anything. Really any game that's focused on building anything at all should do that, I think.

I wanted to try 40k Darktide but have heard mixed reviews.

It's... okay. A friend of mine got me a copy. The main issue I have with it is there's zero way to play on your own... you *must* be playing with others. There are bots, but they will only be present if the matchmaker just cant manage to get a full set of 4 players, you cant be like "okay I want a singleplayer + bots experience only".

It is very L4D-ish in terms of actual gameplay. I honestly find it very confusing, I tend to have to rely on other players to know where exactly to go.

Online FPS games would give me panic attacks.

Horror games used to terrify me. But the more I played them, and the more I overindulged in horror films - I found the genre went from terror to lacklustre. Mind you, the horror format with weird puzzles incorportated confused me. Plus all the locked doors, and very little in the way in ammo quickly became a chore - I'm looking at you Resident Evil and Silent Hill. RE4 was decent though.

My favourite games in terms of play time have been Phantasy Star Online and Phantasy Star Universe. Very cosy and calming games to play, and public servers exist to this day. PSO2 and NGS are the opposite of calming and relaxing games to play. They're hyper, intense visual anime games - and I really dislike how they changed the gameplay so much. Those 2 games are like ADHD and mania combined.

Ed

I can't speak for what would work for you, but I prefer games with no real-time element. I also like having clear goals, though sandbox experiences might suit you better.

I exclusively play indie and Firaxis games. I mostly play roguelites (frequently deckbuilders) and story games. In either case, there tends to be a minimal real time aspect and no horror, so that I can think for as long as I need, and there won't be any frights.

I think very logically, so turn based strategy like XCOM 2 is also a good fit.

Some of my favourite roguelikes are:

Griftlands

Demon Crawl

Balatro

Slay the Spire

Cobalt Core

Into the Breach

And many more.

Some of my favourite story games are:

Roadwarden

A space for the unbound

What Remains of Edith Finch (though I haven't played it myself)

The Stanley Parable

Disco Elysium (more of a roleplaying game).

Suzerain

Transistor (more action focused, though you can sort of make it turn based)

And others

I won't elaborate, but you can look them up to see if they look like something you would like. You are also free to ask my opinions on specific ones. Most of them are quite obscure. Roadwarden especially is a real hidden gem. I also tried to find games that aren't too stressful.

Edit: I almost forgot, but you should check out Opus Magnum! I'm too much of a perfectionist for that game, but it might be just what you are looking for. You are building chemistry machines, and then programming them.

You all gave me such good suggestions. Thank you all 😊

Now... where can I find enough free money to buy more games 🤔

I used to really like precision platformers but lately they feel like such a time suck. I don't always need to feel like I'm doing something productive with my time, but... I kind of feel like 'press the buttons faster!' mentality doesn't really have enough substance for me anymore. Eventually you get it, even if it takes hours. I think that's the only real thing to take away from the experience so I'm kind of just moving on, I guess.

The same goes for roguelikes and roguelites -- I like them, for sure, and I love all the work that goes into making one but I don't really have a spot for them in my life anymore. Well, unless I'm making one :D

I definitely plan on playing more in the way of Last Call BBS, Shenzhen I/O, Signal State, and stuff like that, but for the most part I'd rather have my brain melt over something with substance than not. Factorio is cool, but I feel like I need to actually dedicate my entire life to that one and I don't know if I want that commitment, either

I used to really like precision platformers but lately they feel like such a time suck. I don't always need to feel like I'm doing something productive with my time, but... I kind of feel like 'press the buttons faster!' mentality doesn't really have enough substance for me anymore. Eventually you get it, even if it takes hours. I think that's the only real thing to take away from the experience so I'm kind of just moving on, I guess.

The same goes for roguelikes and roguelites -- I like them, for sure, and I love all the work that goes into making one but I don't really have a spot for them in my life anymore. Well, unless I'm making one :D

I definitely plan on playing more in the way of Last Call BBS, Shenzhen I/O, Signal State, and stuff like that, but for the most part I'd rather have my brain melt over something with substance than not. Factorio is cool, but I feel like I need to actually dedicate my entire life to that one and I don't know if I want that commitment, either
I just need a way to relax and divert my mind from rehashing the past over and over, or obsess about the future.

Story driven games dont usually work for me because I'll be shouting at it saying stuff like :
"Poorly written!"
"Who was the idiot who wrote this?"
"That's stupid!"
"That's soooo stupid!"

That kinda ruins a game 😂

I like puzzle games, and some tower defense games like Gemcraft Labyrinth.
But those can also get my legs going.

It's funny, or not, how my upper body might be perfectly still and my face blank, while my legs are going wild.

I just need a way to relax and divert my mind from rehashing the past over and over, or obsess about the future.

Story driven games dont usually work for me because I'll be shouting at it saying stuff like :
"Poorly written!"
"Who was the idiot who wrote this?"
"That's stupid!"
"That's soooo stupid!"

That kinda ruins a game 😂

I like puzzle games, and some tower defense games like Gemcraft Labyrinth.
But those can also get my legs going.

It's funny, or not, how my upper body might be perfectly still and my face blank, while my legs are going wild.

I have problems with stories too, but in a slightly different way. I'll attempt to pay attention, but then once they start bringing a billion new characters in I get totally lost :D. I can't really understand most stories due to the amount of things you have to remember, so sometimes I wonder how people even play immersive games like that and keep track of what they need to do and who everyone is!

New Threads

Top Bottom