• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Why is it hard to get people’s attention?

Regardless of what causes it, I think mild brain inflammation resulting from an overactive immune system may contribute to social deficits in some people with ASD. I'm not a scientist or medical expert but I think anything that affects a person's brain can contribute to social deficits. For example, if you developed dementia I think your social deficits would worsen despite dementia not having anything to do with autism.

I discuss other's views because I'm open-minded so any misunderstandings aren't intentional. I do have trouble understanding some posts I read but I do the best I can. I've struggled with being misunderstood and other people misunderstanding me my entire life which I attribute to being autistic. In a verbal conversation people can let me know right away to correct misunderstandings and allow me to clarify what I meant. It's more difficult communicating on a forum. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding other people or if other people are misunderstanding me because they're too sensitive or because I'm not good at choosing the right words to use but I don't think it's rigidity and it's definitely not narcissism.
I’m not saying that this is what you are going through, but back when I was downplaying being Autistic; I would find myself running into misunderstandings and not sure who was misunderstanding who and what I could do to clarify things; it really angered and frustrated me. After I finally embraced being Autistic and better understood it, how I functioned; I have since had a relatively better understanding, how to communicate, or at the very least, not get frustrated by it.

My argument is not that Autistic people are superior or inferior to non-Autistic people; my argument is that Autism has positive qualities that are important to human society and that Autism, is not all-negative and should not be defined by its negative qualities only.

I’m not saying that this is what you are going through, but back when I was downplaying being Autistic; I would find myself running into misunderstandings and not sure who was misunderstanding who and what I could do to clarify things; it really angered and frustrated me. After I finally embraced being Autistic and better understood it, how I functioned; I have since had a relatively better understanding, how to communicate, or at the very least, not get frustrated by it.

It's possible. I'm trying to understand autism better but the problem is there are so many different opinions and ideas about the nature of autism and what causes it that it's difficult for me to really understand it. I know what people believe about autism but it's hard to know which views are correct.

My argument is not that Autistic people are superior or inferior to non-Autistic people; my argument is that Autism has positive qualities that are important to human society and that Autism, is not all-negative and should not be defined by its negative qualities only.

I think I understand what you're saying. I remember one guy on the TV show Shark Tank said he attributed his success to hyperactivity that resulted from having ADHD. Some of the positive qualities autistic people have seem to be a consequence of being autistic. I realize you're saying autism causes positive qualities itself which I think is possible but I think it's difficult to prove since many non-autistic people have the same positive qualities.

It's possible. I'm trying to understand autism better but the problem is there are so many different opinions and ideas about the nature of autism and what causes it that it's difficult for me to really understand it. I know what people believe about autism but it's hard to know which views are correct.

I think I understand what you're saying. I remember one guy on the TV show Shark Tank said he attributed his success to hyperactivity that resulted from having ADHD. Some of the positive qualities autistic people have seem to be a consequence of being autistic. I realize you're saying autism causes positive qualities itself which I think is possible but I think it's difficult to prove since many non-autistic people have the same positive qualities.
I’ve been considering whether or not to continue this conversation, I’m not sure yet whether I will; although right now I can’t because I’m busy with Christmas. I do want to ask you though, whether you are willing to help me with my An Appeal to Heaven series? It deals with Autism Acceptance and, I want the opposition in it to present the best arguments possible against Autism Acceptance; if you are okay with that, please PM and I’ll share what I have with you although right now, I haven’t yet gotten to the Autism Acceptance part of the series.

I know someone said that people in general, simply aren’t interested in talking about Autism; but I’ve been trying to reach out to people and I’m having a real hard time getting anyone to dialogue with me. Does anyone know anyway to provoke a response? I know @Gerontius said telling a story helps, and I’m hoping and praying that my An Appeal to Heaven comic series provokes thought and a reaction; what else sparks-up thought and dialogue?​

Are people, if they’re deliberately ignoring us; just hoping that we’ll literally fade away? What’s going through their minds when they ignore us, if they’re deliberately making the choice to?
I'm BPD (Borderline personality disorder) and it fools me into thinking I am being ignored.
I have even told people I am being ignored if the BPD paranoia manages to convince me.
I have taken to remembering I am not a natural talker, this was revealed to me on psychedelics in 2001.
This is why people don't look at me, and appear to exclude me, as I sit quietly listening and chime in when I really do have something to say, rather than play the "Get a word in game" in groups if the subject is not something I am interested in.
I hope that makes sense and my experience helps.

As for Autism, I think people have to ask, because if I try to tell them about it, it just doesn't go in.
We are all so different, and even I don't fully understand autism in others, although there are commonalities.

I’ve been considering whether or not to continue this conversation, I’m not sure yet whether I will; although right now I can’t because I’m busy with Christmas. I do want to ask you though, whether you are willing to help me with my An Appeal to Heaven series? It deals with Autism Acceptance and, I want the opposition in it to present the best arguments possible against Autism Acceptance; if you are okay with that, please PM and I’ll share what I have with you although right now, I haven’t yet gotten to the Autism Acceptance part of the series.

I may be interested but it would really help if you could define exactly what you mean by Autism Acceptance.

I think my biggest concern about Autism Acceptance, depending on how you define it, is that it will often lead to a lack of personal responsibility similar to how an alcoholic viewed his drinking problems on a South Park episode if you replace disease/illness/sickness with genetic condition.

I'm don't think you see it that way but it seems many autistic people I've met refuse to do anything to help themselves because they believe all of their social difficulties are genetic. If no one likes them, it isn't because they are annoying, stubborn, or refuse to learn how to behave appropriately. It's because other people don't accept them because they're autistic. Blaming their genes or other people's actions for their inability to get along with people, find friends, or a romantic partner can result in helplessness that leads to depression and anxiety.

Last edited:
Well I’d define Autism Acceptance as the complete, total and ideally permanent ceasing of any and all effort to cure Autism or prevent the birth of Autistic people; it also includes the continuation of providing accommodation necessary to help manage the handicaps that accompany Autism, and also provide care that encourages the positive aspects of Autism and ultimately helps Autistic People integrate into society and provide it with the most beneficial of their talents. Social-wise, Autism Acceptance involves a de-normalization of stigma and stereotypes involving Autistic People and a better education among local community of what Autism is and how Autistic People function.

My hope or dream regarding my group, Claritas is that it provides an important in some of the above-mentioned aspects of Autism Acceptance, as you will see in the following episodes of An Appeal to Heaven:
An Appeal to Heaven: Ep: 3

Panel: 1

Captions: Caption box in white in the top left: Meanwhile…

Caption box in green from the top, Christy narrating: This is Claritas, a guild-like organization, by and for Autistic people; it helps them integrate into the Church, & society.

Caption box in green at the bottom, Christy narrating: In this series, you’ll learn how this particular lodge was established.

Scene: Building on a city block, sign above the entrance bears the Claritas emblem and beneath it the following in a Medieval font: “Claritan Lodge of the Immaculate Heart,” This lodge, as well as the church which we’ll see later, (which, like of course the lodge, is fictional) are located somewhere on Neponset Street between Chapman Street and the Canton Viaduct, be sure to maintain the Autumnal atmosphere.

Panel: 2

Captions: Caption in green box from top, Christy narrating: That’s Jonathan Goodman, he’s male lodge leader.

Caption box in blue from the bottom, Monica narrating: And that’s Joseph Mc- Oh! I’m sorry, I haven’t introduced myself yet! I’m Monica, the female lodge leader.

Speech bubble from Joseph: Surely we can at the very least muster a Rosary Rally! Are we really going to do nothing!?!

Speech bubble from Jonathan: Look Joseph, we’re not TFP or the Legion of Decency or the like; we’re less than a year old, we’re still working on the basics of being a thing.

Scene: Jonathan is sitting in the left-hand corner of the panel behind desk in his office. As mentioned in the original commission, Jonathan has brown hair, wears glasses and has facial hair. He has a mature air to him; professional and scholarly, but also a hint of toughness to him. Joseph is in a chair before him, (in the right-hand corner of the panel) Joseph has blonde hair and a rather youthful appearance, he’s a bit shorter than Jonathan. Both are wearing their Claritan uniforms, Jonathan, his lodge leader uniform and Joseph his men’s uniform. Jonathan’s desk is old-fashioned and finely carved; on his desk is a laptop, a printer, a statue of Our Lady of Grace, a binder and a couple of pens, pencils and papers. Jonathan is sitting on a wooden chair that is also old-fashioned looking, and behind him on wall shelves are a statue of Christ showing His Sacred Heart, and Our Lady showing Her Immaculate Heart; showing that he has consecrated his office to the Two Hearts of Christ the King and Mary the Queen. (You may have to shift some of these details to the third panel below.) Neither are making eye contact but Joseph is looking at Jonathan’s hands and chest as he argues with him.

Panel 3 (Large):

Speech bubble from Jonathan: And we’re just one lodge; right now Claritas is a bunch of fragmented lodges across the eastern US and maybe British Columbia, Canada, maybe; I have no idea if anything is happening in those places, it’s been over a month since I heard from our fellow-Claritans down in Texas, so I have no idea whether their supposed lodges are up and running yet or not. We could still be the only lodge out there.

Speech bubble from Joseph: …

Scene: Somewhat from Joseph’s point of view, Jonathan is sitting at his desk, staring forward, somewhat in Joseph’s and the audience’s direction. Jonathan’s hands are folded as he speaks.

Panel 4 (Regular or smaller size, in the corner of the panel above):

Captions: White caption box in the top left: Back at the park…

Speech bubble from Paula: I see, I guess I’ve been putting too much thought into this.

Speech bubble from Christy (off panel): That’s alright, it was an interesting question.

Scene: Paula’s face from the side facing right. She’s blushing somewhat due to social anxiety and as usual, she is not make eye contact but is somewhat deep in thought.

An Appeal to Heaven Ep. 4

Panel 1:

Speech bubble from Christy: I guess I should ask you, do you believe in God?

Speech bubble from Paula: Well…

Scene: Paula is sitting under her tree in the left portion of the panel, under her tree looking down; Christy is standing in the right portion of the panel, looking down.

Panel 2 (large):

Speech bubble from Paula: It uh, it would be great if God existed but, I just don’t know… I have listened to both Theists and Atheists argue for and against God’s existence and, I just haven’t heard any arguments that really prove God either doesn’t exist, or exist.

Speech bubble from Paula: It would be great if I could know for sure God did exist, and not because knowing God existed would make me feel good; I’ve never been able to find an Atheist who could give me a good explanation of morality making sense without God, I just can’t see morality being a real thing without God. But again, I haven’t heard any sure fire argument for or against God’s existence.

Speech bubble from Christy: Hmm…

Scene: Viewed from over Christy’s shoulder, Paula is looking down and blushing as she speaks.

Panel 3 (regular):

Speech bubble from Joseph: Then, what are we to do?

Caption box in green at the bottom, Christy narrating: That’s a very good question.

Scene: Joseph, head and shoulders visible,looking rather irritated, his eyes staring a bit aloofly off to one side.

An Appeal to Heaven Ep. 5

Panel 1:

Captions: Speech bubble from Joseph: Then, what are we to do?

Speech bubble from Jonathan: The goal of our society, is the goal of all Catholic groups and societies, to help bring souls to Heaven.

Scene: Same as a scene in episode 3, Jonathan is sitting in his seat behind his desk in the left of the panel, Joseph is sitting in his in the right.

Panel 2 (large):

Captions: Speech bubble from Jonathan: Look Joseph, I get what you’re going through…

Speech bubble from Jonathan: people here look at me like I’m some kind of George Washington of this lodge; but I have wasted many years of my life cowardly hiding from my problems and being reluctant to speak-up about things. I understand what it’s like to feel guilt over wasting time and not speaking up, but wringing your hands with regret, and trying to desperately make up for the past isn’t going to help things, it’s only going to make things worse; what you need to do is focus on what’s really available to you, what small things you can do to make things better.

Speech bubble from Jonathan: The primary goal of our group, and all Catholic groups; help each other get to Heaven. Focus on your own family, on your wife and future children; the stronger you and your family are, the stronger this community will be, and the stronger and better we’ll be able to deal with garbage like this out there.

Scene: Viewed from over Joseph’s shoulder, similar to the large scene in episode 3.

Panel 3:

Scene: Close-up of Joseph’s face, he’s deep in thought.

New Threads

Top Bottom