• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

36 and still feeling like I did when I was 17.

Markness

Young God
V.I.P Member
I turned 36 this year but I still feel like I did when I was 17. Even when I got my driver’s license and became able to go out on my own, this still didn’t change the fact I was socially isolated because I don’t fit in with the culture I live in. Apparently I am now at the age where I can’t even feel sad about being socially isolated because it’s somehow a bad thing. I’ve even been told to stop being like a baby and got screamed at by my father for being depressed.

Apparently I am now at the age where I can’t even feel sad about being socially isolated because it’s somehow a bad thing.
You can’t really control what feelings arise. What you can control is what you tell yourself they mean. Sad feelings may come, but you don’t have to let them control you.

Maybe you can try to also notice feelings of hope, determination, acceptance, and gratitude.

You can’t really control what feelings arise. What you can control is what you tell yourself they mean. Sad feelings may come, but you don’t have to let them control you.

Maybe you can try to also notice feelings of hope, determination, acceptance, and gratitude.
It’s just hard for me to feel hopeful when my attempts to break out of my shell fail or I just make one mistake and the other person decides to reject me from their life even if we had become friends.

I learned that one of my younger cousins has two children. I didn’t even know he was married let alone started his own family.

Either we bury our dead or our dead bury us.

There has to be a point that you need to realize your mind is lying to you. Negative outlooks are a hard thing to manage when you decide to consider it the status quo of your life. You'll accept little else.

DO NOT listen to anyone who is dictating what you should do and/or how you should feel. You need to feel as you wish to feel. If others do not like it. Then that is thier problem. NOT your's.

But more importantly than that. Look to what you CAN do to change your situation. There are posts galore of suggestions from all of us to what you can do. It's just more what you wish to do that fits YOUR needs. Not other's.

Look. I'm a wreck myself. I'll gladly admit that. Though I can, because I started looking at what I can do to help my situation. Instead of looking at all the things I don't or "can't" do. The other half is will. I know I have it in spades. I wouldn't of gotten this far without it.

You should spend some time to ask yourself about what you are willing to do to get past this.

Do I have the will?

What am I capable of?

What does my better self look like in the near future?

What short term goal should I strive for?

These are questions that I have an answer for myself. But they are something you should ask yourself daily, when you are in fear, loathing, or doubt.

Though another set of questions I use, are more because of my psychosis. But they could still help in some regard.

This this thought I am having true?

What is going on in my immediate environment around me?

What are the people around me doing?

Am I in danger?

This creates a mental check that forces you to assess your environment critically. And can help you quickly discern if what you are thinking and feeling, in any given moment, is valid or irrational.

New Threads

Top Bottom