• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Companies that specifically seek autistic employees

What does "not-for-profit social enterprise" actually mean?

I work in IT.
There are a lot of HFA's and "ASD-adjacent" people in IT, because of the characteristics mentioned at that link. So the idea seems fine. And mixing ASD IT professionals and others could work well.

But with the right mix, you'd expect to make a profit. And potentially create a solid, stable, business.

But I don't think you could make a profit without some professionals. And it's an area where AI will certainly replace low-end tasks quite soon, so you'd need a process for making untrained/inexperienced people good enough to use the AI tools, rather than do the same things.

BTW this isn't an argument against subsidized organizations. But it's always difficult. It's much better to create a competitive business with a special case for hiring (i.e. preferring a specific group, which is often illegal (though maybe not in Oz)).

Think of the effects on local low-tech clothing industries when rich countries give away old clothing. It's a classic example of "the Law of Untended Consequences".

With subsidized employment, one risk is the people running it taking too much of the money, and the workers getting minimum wages. Something like charities getting top heavy, with most of the money disappearing before it can be productively used.

OTOH, people who are good at data analytics earn good money on the open market. It seems possible there's an opportunity for a stable business (in the longer-term OFC) in there somewhere.

Last edited:
But with the right mix, you'd expect to make a profit. And potentially create a solid, stable, business.
I didn't read far enough to find out if they're achieving this yet or not, but their aim is to become grant free and self supporting. As you say, it certainly should be possible.

As a business in and of itself it's not terribly exciting for me, but as an opportunity for a lot of young people I think it has value. Not as some old fashioned concept of a sheltered workshop, more as an educational facility that launches careers, giving people training and in situ experience in an environment that's going to build their confidence instead of shatter it.

I didn't read far enough to find out if they're achieving this yet or not, but their aim is to become grant free and self supporting. As you say, it certainly should be possible.

As a business in and of itself it's not terribly exciting for me, but as an opportunity for a lot of young people I think it has value. Not as some old fashioned concept of a sheltered workshop, more as an educational facility that launches careers, giving people training and in situ experience in an environment that's going to build their confidence instead of shatter it.

I agree on the objective. You could view the untrained participants as apprentices - i.e. people who combine education and doing actual work at a level consistent with their actual (relatively low) level of relevant education, training, and experience. Relatively low pay at first, but with the intention of their becoming economically self-sufficient.

That could be the organizational goal: creating economically self-sufficient workers. i.e. even if they need to be in a controlled environment, they'd be worthy of, and receiving, competitive remuneration.

Something like that would help limit the natural tendency of such organizations to skim as much as possible out of the organization and into the pockets of management, admin, and ownership/sponsors :)

Why are these jobs always IT or engineering? Ain't it a stereotype?
It is a stereotype, but, in this case it's a stereotype with merit. I for one wish I lived in Australia at the moment because that company @Outdated pointed to looks like it'd be right up my alley. I already have an obsession with maps and mapping software and part of my current job involves geospatial work. And I added that part to the job. It wasn't what I was hired for but my employer loved it when they found out i had the interest/skills.

Interesting. From what I see, "Spatial Analysis" appears to transcend many fields of study. Certainly touching on certain subjects I studied in college in minoring in geography.

But no, IMO this is not for just anyone on the spectrum, either.

"Spatial analysis began with early attempts at cartography and surveying. Land surveying goes back to at least 1,400 B.C in Egypt: the dimensions of taxable land plots were measured with measuring ropes and plumb bobs.<a href="Spatial analysis - Wikipedia"><span>[</span>1<span>]</span></a> Many fields have contributed to its rise in modern form. Biology contributed through botanical studies of global plant distributions and local plant locations, ethological studies of animal movement, landscape ecological studies of vegetation blocks, ecological studies of spatial population dynamics, and the study of biogeography. Epidemiology contributed with early work on disease mapping, notably John Snow's work of mapping an outbreak of cholera, with research on mapping the spread of disease and with location studies for health care delivery. Statistics has contributed greatly through work in spatial statistics. Economics has contributed notably through spatial econometrics. Geographic information system is currently a major contributor due to the importance of geographic software in the modern analytic toolbox. Remote sensing has contributed extensively in morphometric and clustering analysis. Computer science has contributed extensively through the study of algorithms, notably in computational geometry. Mathematics continues to provide the fundamental tools for analysis and to reveal the complexity of the spatial realm, for example, with recent work on fractals and scale invariance. Scientific modelling provides a useful framework for new approaches."

Spatial analysis - Wikipedia

Last edited:
I literally pick at ones and zeroes. I don't mean just programming. I look at hex dumps to try and figure out what's going on and figure out how it can be faster. Hard to imagine not being autistic in this occupation.

My dad did not allow us to have internet when I was growing up. Even after I was working a job and had my own money, I would not have dared buy one. He finally let me get a cellphone when I was around 25 after pressure from some people at our common jobsite. I know little about modern technology and am having to try to catch up best I can with only a cellphone. I was studying Javascript at one point on the phone and had got far enough in the lessons to make a single frame animation. But I realized that it really did me no good to keep learning because outside of the learning app, I would not know where to even use the code. I mean, I am pretty sure you don't make a website, app, or whatever by typing code into your Google search bar. Where you actually would type it I have no clue. Sometimes even professionals that work with ASD individuals like to mock me for being such an obvious aspie yet knowing near nothing about computers.

Ironically, a test to determine best careers for an individual said I would be great at cybersecurity or digital forensics were the tech fields mentioned if I remember correctly. I am so far behind technologically that it is hard to imagine myself really being in those roles.

Ironically, a test to determine best careers for an individual said I would be great at cybersecurity or digital forensics were the tech fields mentioned if I remember correctly. I am so far behind technologically that it is hard to imagine myself really being in those roles.
Some minds just naturally find some types of things easier, I don't think it would take you very long at all to catch up. You'll need to anyway, you won't be able to do a university course on a phone.

My Mama has said that she thinks I would be good at it too, but it just feels like a hopeless endeavor to me. Even though I was in the top 1% in certain subjects during high-school, every time I start looking at articles that use a lot of technology lingo, I feel extremely dumb. It feels like the average 5 year old is actually way smarter than me.

The one thing I can suggest positively towards your sentiments was my experience in months of vocational training and how different it was compared to years of college. That they are more inclined to train you to learn what you need to know, and in a much more condensed manner. Which may or may not be a good fit for you.

That said, I would encourage you not to rule out vocational training you can handle, and what you can afford. ;)

every time I start looking at articles that use a lot of technology lingo,
That's because most of them are really dumb, written by people more concerned with making themselves sound important than trying to teach you anything. The best way to start learning how to do things on a computer is to own one, you'll need a friend to get you started in finding your way around, but after that you'll have experience that will help you relate to technical documents a lot easier.

That's because most of them are really dumb, written by people more concerned with making themselves sound important than trying to teach you anything. The best way to start learning how to do things on a computer is to own one, you'll need a friend to get you started in finding your way around, but after that you'll have experience that will help you relate to technical documents a lot easier.
I don't think I can have one. My Mama and I were talking to each other here back about how many work from home jobs were mentioned on my phone and that maybe I would have a job now if we had a computer. Daddy heard and said yeah I'm glad I didn't allow one those in the house. That is paraphrased, may not be exact words. My Mama and I did go and buy me a laptop but it has no internet connection.

Would getting higher education be pointless in my situation? I think after years of back room unloading and pulling heavy pallets my heart mummer is worse. I get weak and light headed easily and my heart flutters alot if I have to lift heavy items or in hot weather yet the career people say that I probably can't change careers without education or an internship. I have tried to get a job doing unloading at a clothing store but for some reason the store said the work was not similar enough to my past job experience.

Would getting higher education be pointless in my situation? I think after years of back room unloading and pulling heavy pallets my heart mummer is worse. I get weak and light headed easily and my heart flutters alot if I have to lift heavy items or in hot weather yet the career people say that I probably can't change careers without education or an internship. I have tried to get a job doing unloading at a clothing store but for some reason the store said the work was not similar enough to my past job experience.
As measured by Holland Code system, my strongest job trait is investigative if that is any help in obtaining advice.

As for going back to school I figured any computer I needed would be present in the class. Is that correct?

Have you visited a community college and talked to the people there? I think that should be your next step.

New Threads

Top Bottom