• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Companies that specifically seek autistic employees

Have you visited a community college and talked to the people there? I think that should be your next step.
I asked some questions about a certain course that turned out not be be what I was hoping a couple months back or so.

As for going back to school I figured any computer I needed would be present in the class. Is that correct?

Technically I think that would be more specific to exactly what kind of courses you were considering. However in this day and age....I'd think that would be a given. With Internet access, of course.

Even back in 1998 my vocational school for web design required as much. Meaning "homework" on occasion.

Last edited:
I asked some questions about a certain course that turned out not be be what I was hoping a couple months back or so.
I was thinking along the lines of you exploring the campus, exploring the brochures, and sitting down with an administrator and exploring what career opportunities are available.

I just took their online test for helping to decide which programs are a good match. The only category it checked as a good match for me was the STEM category. My options as best as I can remember them would be the following.

Computer Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Electronics Engineering
Laser and Photonics Engineering
IT (systems and something else)
IT (cybersecurity)
Library Information Technology

As for going back to school I figured any computer I needed would be present in the class. Is that correct?
The laptop you already have will be fine, and it will have internet while you're at school. You'll need it or you won't be able to study at home. There's also many internet hotspots in most cities, you'll often find them crowded with students studying. Most do so because they're struggling financially and can't afford to pay for internet at home.

I forgot to mention, you can also "tether" your phone to your laptop via USB or bluetooth, then your laptop can use your phone's wifi.

I used my spatial analysis ability I used to control colour, The way my mind works no good at programming Good at math because I could visualize it. All I know when my spatial ability was professionally measured the psychologist was stunned. I could never be a programmer. so the stereotype for me is completely wrong. Organic chemistry was also easy could visualize the molecules. Just found out last week I am afflicted with hyperphantasia normally they are artistic not good at math my ability transcend this definition. The straight phantasia people are the math wizes. visualizing calculus is quite easy for me. I guess I am so rare that I do not fit the definition sample size to small.

Last edited:
You said your strength is investigation that was my ability, Always solving intractable process issues no one else could was my forte, I could just see the solution in my minds eye, best way to describe some can see the forest others can see the trees I can see the lit up tree in the forest. To use my skill I had first to get a college diploma in engineering, then a second diploma in the area of expertise if my suppliers and finally a certificate in quality engineering After fixing numerous issue I slowly became a star. My former employer expanded unable to extend what I did to the new plants.

Last edited:
You said your strength is investigation that was my ability, Always solving intractable process issues no one else could was my forte, I could just see the solution in my minds eye, best way to describe some can see the forest others can see the trees I can see the lit up tree in the forest. To use my skill I had first to get a college diploma in engineering, then a second diploma in the area of expertise if my suppliers and finally a certificate in quality engineering After fixing numerous issue I slowly became a star. My former employer expanded unable to extend What I did to the new plants.
I was always taking things apart to see how they worked when I was in my tweens or so. As a younger child I was already disecting seed pods, peeling off tree bark, ect. for similar purposes. I would also do various experiments with water pressure, air current ect. even as a very small child and discover patterns that I would continue to test for consistency or look for cause and effect of pattern variations. I have even been known to actually make what I thought was some great scientific discovery only to learn about it later that year or perhaps the next year in school. Needless to say, I was an unusual child. I always wanted to be able to have someone my age that was just as excited about things like this but it didn't happen. The other kids thought I was weird. I had a cousin that would call me Einstein in a sarcastic tone. She was in advanced classes herself, and was probably the closest thing to a same age friend that I had. I think most people deemed me to be mentally ill or something because I did not share the same interests as my peers( didn't want make-up, didn't like most of the music they liked, thought sports were boring, ect.) Somehow as I neared adulthood most grown ups started to shift from being impressed by what a brilliant young genius they thought me to be to thinking that I was cognitively impaired and treating me like a small child. If I offer advice they don't believe me ( for example once grown and working I tried to show them how it would be easier if the boxes on the back room unloading line were turned the direction to be more aerodynamically efficient. I could tell a major difference on how hard it was to shove the boxes down the line during my demonstration. They acted like I was an idiot and made a point of turning the boxes the direction where the widest side was facing forward which made us all have to exert more force to push it all down the line. They at times would not let me learn new skills that would have given me a break from the hard manuel labour because they didn't think I had enough of a brain to learn it. When I saved up my own money that I earned and went to buy a horse, the person who sold the horse would talk to me like a child and even let me know that anything about our transaction had to go through my Dad's approval. I was 22 at the time and was purchasing the horse entirely with my own money that I had saved up. Around probably 26 or 27 I decided to start speaking up to my Dad on behalf of my right to choose my own line of work. I could feel the effect on my mental health. I told him the results of an online test that verified that people with my personality traits did not hold up well long term in that line of work. He let me know that if I wanted a different job then I was ruining the past several years of his life. Sometime along then he started adopting tips from people with oppositional defiant children (which I had never been) and learning rephrasing techniques to get me to be more compliant. In the first half of employment, I once overheard him telling someone that I was crazy and asking them to keep an eye on me. Naturally they agreed. I have unusual facial expressions and he would tell people that they had different meanings than they really do. Also he would leave his job on the floor to come to the backroom and initiate open mockery of me. By the time I lost my job for having to stay out, I was stimming way more than previously, experiencing almost constant derealization symptoms, had one episode of depersonalization symptoms( which is very scary), and was having laughing fits as I call them at least once most days. Since losing my job, I have not had depersonalization, I can often go over a week in-between laughing fits, and I usually only experience derealization symptoms when in the same room with my dad. For now the increased stimming seems to be staying but overall I think I am doing much better. Sorry for the rant I just needed to get it out somewhere.

There are a fair number of us in the insurance industry in Canada.
I worked many years in the same underwriting department with another guy that I seem to identify with on so many levels. It wasn't until after the age of 55 in coming to realize that he may well have been another person unaware of being autistic as well.

Though given my own experience, I can't say I'd necessarily recommend insurance to many people on the spectrum, unless it was a job that didn't involve so much socialization. A perspective I gained when as an underwriter, but not as much as my entry-level job as a rater.

Even then I did my rating job so well that they put me on "customer service" to insurance agents, which was a really bad idea. By the time I advanced to underwriting, I was able to deal with customer service issues, though I NEVER liked doing so. :eek:

Last edited:
There's quite a few industries besides insurance that are finding autism to be more of an advantage than a disability. Here's a story about a Melbourne based marketing company:

Nearly half of the staff at this agency are neurodivergent. The CEO says there are real benefits for her bottom line
I think so. Though it wouldn't surprise me if a number of insurance actuaries are autistic. People left alone to work mostly with numbers and statistics.

I suspect any number of us would do quite well in positions involving a minimum of social contact.

Seeing how this site works Do not be surprised if someone seeks you out Do you have a profile on linkedin. Your rant may have done the trick. People are looking for us. We are not typical at least not the high functioning, bright with special interests We are all not advertising ourselves If you are seeking us this is a target rich environment.

Seeing how this site works Do not be surprised if someone seeks you out Do you have a profile on linkedin. Your rant may have done the trick. People are looking for us. We are not typical at least not the high functioning, bright with special interests We are all not advertising ourselves If you are seeking us this is a target rich environment.
Are you saying that companies read our post on forums like this and try to select employees in this way?🤔

Still annoying that we all have to be associated with computers all the time. Not all of us are blessed with intense focus or high IQ.

Like I said I'm very good at solving puzzles thought it was a university sponsored this site. no ads $5 an d the ads go away. Did not want to say any thing as I do not want to get kicked off real life puzzles are my thing And I am usually correct, do not second guess myself. I know some body at the Max Planck Institute was looking at my covid statistics. No just issue Ontario government statistics that I did a simple analysis on shocked when a year later a guy their got a Nobel prize expertise in Neanderthal genes and covid. I guess they were surprised I solved that puzzle with straight brain power, Took them year of experiments. I they can find people like us we can change business worth a lot of money.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom