• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

Status
Not open for further replies.
People who criticise autistic folk who do not work. Every autism case is different, and if a person with autism seems capable but unable to work then it's their business and shouldn't be shamed.

One of my worst pet peeves is 'fisselig'.

The German word 'fisselig' (pronounced as "fhistle fish" ) conveys a temporary state of inexactitude and sloppiness that is elicited by another person's nagging.

From the book, 'They Have a Word For It' by Howard Rhinegold.

It really angers me when people feel they must 'test' my food allergies. I've taken to 'ghosting' everyone who has done this. Mixing an allergen into my food could be fatal, and they think it's only funny.

When people say "Aren't we all just a little autistic?" If that was true, why are autistic people treated so badly?

People who fake autism and other disorders on social media.

People who believe viruses can be treated or cured with antibiotics. Antibiotics have no affect on viral infections and it's probably because people keep taking them for a cold or flu or whatever is why bacteria has become resistant to antibiotics and it's just terrifying.

The fact that just getting a sniffle now is basically "Quick! Write your will while you still can!"

Or that any change in the weather is basically a sign of the apocalypse.

Being reminded every 30 seconds about climate change, the housing crisis, the new pandemics we're going to have, the Second Great Depression WWIII, life is hopeless we're all doomed pass the cyanide please. I guess we would have been better off if the world really had ended in 2012.

The fact that we're reverting back to the 1930s, but even worse.

Being told what to do, how to do it, and how I should live my life. Because if it isn't what society sees as "normal" then it's "bad".

Hearing how every food I eat is going to end up killing me. The way the world is going why should I care anymore? I'm lucky I have food at all in this day and age. And a place I can afford to live in.

When people say "Aren't we all just a little autistic?" If that was true, why are autistic people treated so badly?
People might say that because everything seems to be an autism trait these days.
The fact that just getting a sniffle now is basically "Quick! Write your will while you still can!"
Yes, this really does people with anxiety disorder no good at all.
Or that any change in the weather is basically a sign of the apocalypse.
Like when we get a heatwave in the summer and people blame global warming rather than the fact that it is summer. We've had hot summers forever.
Or if it rains a lot during the summer people still put it down to climate change.
Being reminded every 30 seconds about climate change, the housing crisis, the new pandemics we're going to have, the Second Great Depression WWIII, life is hopeless we're all doomed pass the cyanide please. I guess we would have been better off if the world really had ended in 2012.
Yes, it gets on my nerves too.
Hearing how every food I eat is going to end up killing me. The way the world is going why should I care anymore? I'm lucky I have food at all in this day and age. And a place I can afford to live in.
Yes, like everything causes cancer. People have been eating sugar for years. When my mum was a kid she'd buy lots of sweets and chocolate from the sweet shop after school, probably way more than I had as a kid (and I did eat sweets and chocolate a lot). Eating sweets and chocolate isn't good for you as such but it's better than smoking.

One of my worst pet peeves is 'fisselig'.

The German word 'fisselig' (pronounced as "fhistle fish" ) conveys a temporary state of inexactitude and sloppiness that is elicited by another person's nagging.

From the book, 'They Have a Word For It' by Howard Rhinegold.
^ RELATED to above post: ^ The confounding subtlties of the Englsih langage yields situations ripe for being misunderstood, miscontrued, and ripe for a pet peeve.

*To put things in perspective: The English language usually has it's ordinary "ups and downs" - hence, it's seldom necessary to seek words in other languages as alternatives to their English equivalents.

When people dither near zebra crossings, so when you're approaching a zebra crossing in a car you feel you have to stop because you don't know what they're doing.

People online who get offended when you correct their spelling. I know it can be understandable for people to get offended, but I'd rather people correct me if I made a spelling mistake. I remember years ago I thought 'decent' was spelt 'descent', and I kept spelling it that way on an internet forum. I later found out for myself how it was supposed to be spelt, but felt irritated that nobody on the internet bothered to correct me. I felt embarrassed too, continuously using an incorrect spelling that meant something else. I think it's helpful to correct people's spellings, as it may be useful for them.

When people on internet forums think everything is to do with autism or is an autism trait.
"I keep feeling cold, is this an autism thing?"
"I keep seeing floaters in my eyes, is this an autism thing?"
"I like bananas, is this an autism thing?"
"I dislike bananas, is this an autism thing?"
"I said the word 'the' today, is this an autism thing?"

People online who get offended when you correct their spelling. I know it can be understandable for people to get offended, but I'd rather people correct me if I made a spelling mistake. I remember years ago I thought 'decent' was spelt 'descent', and I kept spelling it that way on an internet forum. I later found out for myself how it was supposed to be spelt, but felt irritated that nobody on the internet bothered to correct me. I felt embarrassed too, continuously using an incorrect spelling that meant something else. I think it's helpful to correct people's spellings, as it may be useful for them.

As an American, I immediately noticed that you used the word "spelt" as the past tense for "spell." Spelt means a kind of hulled wheat to Americans. But I know that "spelt" is the common word in the UK for the past tense of the word "spell" whereas here, we'd say "spelled". I like spotting these little differences between the language of our two countries.

As an American, I immediately noticed that you used the word "spelt" as the past tense for "spell." Spelt means a kind of hulled wheat to Americans. But I know that "spelt" is the common word in the UK for the past tense of the word "spell" whereas here, we'd say "spelled". I like spotting these little differences between the language of our two countries.
Ah, I never knew that. But it wasn't a spelling mistake as such. I remember on another forum this guy was normally a good speller but could never spell "nervous" right, it was always "nurvous". I don't know why, but it just got to me, being so he used the word a lot, and being so he spelt all other words correctly I couldn't get why he could never seem to spell "nervous".

Ew... "spelt" seems all wrong to me (from the UK). But then I know a lot of Brits use learnt instead of learned too. I just didn't know it was also done for spelled/spelt.

We just need to find something different for the adjective learned: someone who's well-educated. Then we can revert to spelled and learned for the past tense of those verbs - which is obviously the way things should be ;)

One of my many pet peeves is when I am harshly scolded for not being happy.
Do they think that bashing me will make me happy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom