• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

Status
Not open for further replies.
On other sites, when the same thread has been popular for weeks and has loads of pages but everyone's still contributing to it civilly instead of an argument.

On other sites, when the same thread has been popular for weeks and has loads of pages but everyone's still contributing to it civilly instead of an argument.

It's a misnomer to take the phrase "misery loves company" as gospel.

That you cannot assume the social chemistry of one online community to be akin to another. That collectively speaking we are all ultimately individuals on various levels, capable of different responses over the same input like this thread.

While some people relish relating to complaints, others easily grow tired of hearing them. Sometimes provoking hostile reactions towards the person doing the complaining and less about whatever they are complaining about. Compounded with the reality that we all have varying levels of tolerance perceiving complaining versus whining.

One doesn't have to like such possibilities, though it's useful to be cognizant of them. And to be aware that "perception is often reality" for many people.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." - John Lydgate

Last edited:
It's a misnomer to take the phrase "misery loves company" as gospel.

That you cannot assume the social chemistry of one online community to be akin to another. That collectively speaking we are all ultimately individuals on various levels, capable of different responses over the same input like this thread.

While some people relish relating to complaints, others easily grow tired of hearing them. Sometimes provoking hostile reactions towards the person doing the complaining and less about whatever they are complaining about. Compounded with the reality that we all have varying levels of tolerance perceiving complaining versus whining.

One doesn't have to like such possibilities, though it's useful to be cognizant of them. And to be aware that "perception is often reality" for many people.

"You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time." - John Lydgate

Very true. Incessant whiners will eventually be ignored by everyone. Readers develop sympathy fatigue and annoyance with constant petty annoyances. :rolleyes:

Very true. Incessant whiners will eventually be ignored by everyone. Readers develop sympathy fatigue and annoyance with constant petty annoyances. :rolleyes:
Seems just another basic aspect of human nature to me. Made worse by media who exploit such behavior, through influencing opinions and beliefs rather than just reporting the facts.

Seems just another basic aspect of human nature to me. Made worse by media who exploit such behavior, through influencing opinions and beliefs rather than just reporting the facts.

Amen to that, Judge. Self-absorption on steroids.

A word of advice: unwatch this thread, put me on ignore, and just stay in the supermarket happy fun threads, then we'll all be happy.
Do you consider your complaining to be pathological?

Perhaps you should research and exploit that. After all, on occasion you appear to be questioning your words or actions, no differently than many if not most of us here. Whether it's autism related or not.

Do you consider your complaining to be pathological?

Perhaps you should research and exploit that.
This is the pet peeves thread where we're allowed to post our pet peeves so stop singling me out like I'm the only one here who complains.

This is the pet peeves thread where we're allowed to post our pet peeves so stop singling me out like I'm the only one here who complains.

I'm not keeping count of anyone. Just pointing out how it is perceived. Whether you or anyone else. Though you do seem to have a propensity for questioning your own actions in open posts.

-Inviting open responses. Where we are allowed to respond accordingly.

It isn't that are singled out, but that you have openly questioned your own words and actions. In an environment where some of us are prone to tell you what you need to know rather than what we think you want to hear.

I'm not keeping count of anyone. Just pointing out how it is perceived. Whether you or anyone else. Though you do seem to have a propensity for questioning your own actions in open posts.

-Inviting open responses. Where we are allowed to respond accordingly.
Speak English, I don't understand what you're on about.

REMINDER:

"...this forum is intended to be a friendly support forum for those on and off the spectrum.
Helping others is our goal here."
Post #7 General Rules & Guidelines

If you come across something you find offensive or believe breaks the rules, report it to a member of staff using the report button. Do not reply to the thread. If you are having a problem with another member of the forums, you may contact a member of staff via Private Message about it.

Sometimes "support" requires honesty and transparency. With the goal of helping others...sometimes out of their own abyss. Autistic or otherwise.

On occasion it's just not enough to be a mere "cheerleader".

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom