• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you are carrying a bag of trash to the trash container down the road, and your neighbours come ask you what you are doing?

My inner meanie wants to answer "I'm going on holiday" or something else as snarky.

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts as a pet peeve exactly but I couldn't think where else to post this, but here goes.
When a common autism symptom is its own disorder and so a child diagnosed with autism also gets diagnosed with a disorder that's an autism symptom anyway.
Like on YouTube there was a 3-year-old diagnosed with autism who also got diagnosed with OCD (not saying OCD is an autism symptom but the behaviours he was showing seemed more like autistic behaviours than OCD so might as well have just put it down to part of his autism, given his young age). He couldn't eat a yoghurt if the whole lid wasn't completely off, and he got stressed about it and refused to eat the yoghurt until all of the lid was removed.
The mother videoing it said that's why he was diagnosed with OCD, but the way I see it, I don't think it's fair to lumber too many diagnoses on a 3-year-old. If a 3-year-old seemed NT but had that same behaviour then yes, it could just be OCD. But given the toddler was autistic then this 'OCD' behaviour was more likely just part of his autism.

Not sure if this counts as a pet peeve exactly but I couldn't think where else to post this, but here goes.
When a common autism symptom is its own disorder and so a child diagnosed with autism also gets diagnosed with a disorder that's an autism symptom anyway.
Like on YouTube there was a 3-year-old diagnosed with autism who also got diagnosed with OCD (not saying OCD is an autism symptom but the behaviours he was showing seemed more like autistic behaviours than OCD so might as well have just put it down to part of his autism, given his young age). He couldn't eat a yoghurt if the whole lid wasn't completely off, and he got stressed about it and refused to eat the yoghurt until all of the lid was removed.
The mother videoing it said that's why he was diagnosed with OCD, but the way I see it, I don't think it's fair to lumber too many diagnoses on a 3-year-old. If a 3-year-old seemed NT but had that same behaviour then yes, it could just be OCD. But given the toddler was autistic then this 'OCD' behaviour was more likely just part of his autism.
If the kid had a pattern of showing "rituals" for everything where skipping a step results in a tantrum/meltdown, then the OCD co-morbid diagnosis makes sense. That is not something I do nor is it something my ASD kid does.

As an analogy, if you look at the symptoms of a cold, the symptoms can match pneumonia, flu, bronchitis, asthma, etc. A cold is not the same thing as pneumonia is not the same thing as the flu is not the same thing as asthma even though the possible symptoms might be a near total overlap between each disease.

When Health & Safety make stupid rules that don't make sense or are difficult to remember to follow, yet they seem to ignore real health and safety issues.

Using Text-Speak when submitting posts in an on-line forum, like: "LOL", "BRB", "OMG", "TTYL", "IDK", and "BTW".

Although I do use "IMHO" frequently.

When you mishear what someone said and people repeat it really loudly in your face.
Like one time at school I saw large groups of kids rushing in one direction, and I asked what was going on to the nearest classmate to me. He said it's a fight, but I thought he'd said "fire", so when I was alarmed and said "a fire??" he and a couple of others yelled "a fighTTTT!" right in my face.
Also one time at work I was rushing and someone (whose first language wasn't English) said, "slowly", and I thought she said "snowing". So I repeated, "snowing?" and then someone else in the room went right up to my ear and yelled at the top of his lungs "she said "SLOWLY"!!!" There was no need for it. I can't help it if my ears don't work as good as their's.

Another pet peeve of mine (and probably many people's) is when a pungent fart smell appears from nowhere. One time I was in a small store looking at some ornaments on a shelf (it wasn't a food store), and nobody else was near me at the time, when suddenly I became surrounded by this really bad fart smell that came from nowhere, and I knew it definitely wasn't me, A, because I don't even make fart smells that rancid, and B, it smelt like those hot types of farts you do when you have an upset stomach, and my stomach was fine so I would have known if it was me. But it 100% wasn't me.
Then another customer walked by and I bet she smelt it and probably assumed it was me. The smell went again after a minute or so. I still have no idea where it came from and why. I'm sure ghosts are to blame, and I'm being serious.

When you're having a nice, peaceful meal in a serene, mature restaurant, and then in comes a family containing 4 kids all under the age of 4, sitting on the table next to you and then it's all chaos. I think some restaurants should be adults-only, just so we can go out and enjoy a lunch without having to put up with screaming babies and obnoxious toddlers right in your ear. Yes, I can tolerate small children if they're well-behaved and predictable, as some are. But most are like wild animals that cannot be consoled or tamed. They might as well bring a wild baboon into the restaurant and seat it on the table next to you.

When you're having a nice, peaceful meal in a serene, mature restaurant, and then in comes a family containing 4 kids all under the age of 4, sitting on the table next to you and then it's all chaos. I think some restaurants should be adults-only, just so we can go out and enjoy a lunch without having to put up with screaming babies and obnoxious toddlers right in your ear. Yes, I can tolerate small children if they're well-behaved and predictable, as some are. But most are like wild animals that cannot be consoled or tamed. They might as well bring a wild baboon into the restaurant and seat it on the table next to you.

I hate this so much. I just want to have a nice meal without some screaming infant or toddler for once.

To add to this, screaming or crying kids while at a store. Walmart's especially bad about this. It never fails.

Raining for three days and nights straight here in southern Cavite province due to Typhoon Gaemi/Carina.

Electrical service has been spotty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom