• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

*Little* Things That Annoy You (Pet Peeves)

Status
Not open for further replies.
American individualism is a total lie, and you're encouraged to be a very specific kind of individual in lockstep with all of the other individuals. At least you get a choice of which NFL team to idolize with slavish devotion
As long as it's not the Cowboys. Everyone hates them.

I disagree with you. Individualism is a strong part of Americanism. Eccentricity is accepted and celebrated in most parts of the country, and especially in the southern US where I live. We like our citizens who follow their own paths. Many of us don't care about sports, either. Aren't you Hispanic, Cuban or Mexican? Perhaps your lack of familiarity with the US leads you to falsely think we lack individuality as a society. Or your occasional brushes with the law here have influenced you to conflate consequences for breaking our laws with suppression of individualism?

I disagree with you. Individualism is a strong part of Americanism. Eccentricity is accepted and celebrated in most parts of the country, and especially in the southern US where I live. We like our citizens who follow their own paths. Many of us don't care about sports, either. Aren't you Hispanic, Cuban or Mexican? Perhaps your lack of familiarity with the US leads you to falsely think we lack individuality as a society. Or your occasional brushes with the law here have influenced you to conflate consequences for breaking our laws with suppression of individualism?
I see the stars and stripes displayed by people who disagree on almost everything else, but there is no longer much defending each other's rights, let alone finding common ground. I see American Individualism on display in style choices, but most of those styles have pretty rigid esthetics for custom work if they are not purely created by advertising. The prominent displays of patriotism combined with vast ignorance and hypocrisy are very discouraging to original thinkers. I think the real core of the American spirit is about personal greed and refusal to be considerate of others, as if there was still a vast wilderness available to diffuse disputes.

The core of American values was, as written, to do no harm to others, and that was embodied in the system of explicitly defined rights. Life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness. You don't take what's not yours. And you can't jail or deprive anyone other than through due process; a formal application of law applied equally. So, dude, where's my country? Do you see America anywhere? I don't. Come to think of it, I don't think anybody ever has since it was founded by a gaggle of hypocrites who went straight from enshrining freedom to picking cotton with slave labor.

I see the stars and stripes displayed by people who disagree on almost everything else, but there is no longer much defending each other's rights, let alone finding common ground. I see American Individualism on display in style choices, but most of those styles have pretty rigid esthetics for custom work if they are not purely created by advertising. The prominent displays of patriotism combined with vast ignorance and hypocrisy are very discouraging to original thinkers. I think the real core of the American spirit is about personal greed and refusal to be considerate of others, as if there was still a vast wilderness available to diffuse disputes.

I see two things at play: unregulated capitalism that rewards personal greed and lack of humanity, and a current period of toxic identity politics. The two current presidential candidates eventually will go away as they always do, and hopefully some better, brighter, and younger candidates will appear. Congress' refusal to implement some common sense guardrails on crass capitalism comes from - you guessed it - toxic politics.

When people keep preaching me about having rats as pets.
"Rats don't live very long, and they're always getting ill, why not have a different pet instead?"
Um, but I love rats. Sorry. I won't change.

Does anyone else have unusual things that bother them? Um, let me explain,

I get very angry and upset when I see an ad/commercial that assumes it knows what I think like 'You've always wanted to travel to blank...' And I'm like no. No NO NO. I've never wanted to do that. Don't assume you know what I want.

Also I get mad when an ad or sign tells me what to do, like a sign said I needed to buy more shoes or I need to stop and read the advertisement and I'm like, no I don't. Don't tell what to do, that's stupid.

It makes me really upset and no one else understands why, I try to explain it to them but they say that it's just an ad or commercial. I drives me crazy.
I love watching gaming videos on YouTube. One of my pet peeves is when a gamer "Doesn't play the game properly." 😅 it gets on my nerves so bad, I have to stop watching.

Or if they are mouthy... use foul language. I shut down and change channels immediately.

It gets hard to find stuff to watch so I can relax.

Another pet peeve is the waiting music that they play when they make us wait during a phone call. Sometimes it gets on my nerves so much that I give up and end the call.

And yes... advertising 🫣

I just smirk at the screen and tell them to shut up while I mute them and divert my eyes from the screen.

When someone lectures and patronises you for sensory issues. For example:-

Me: I don't like loud ambulance sirens, it frightens me
Other person (usually an Aspie): They have a loud siren for a reason, they need to get to an emergency situation, they could be saving a life, stop thinking of yourself and have empathy!

Oh, so THAT'S why those sirens exist! I thought they only existed to merely upset me. Thanks for educating me, now I will switch off my sensory issue whenever a siren comes on. /sarcasm

Or if they are mouthy... use foul language. I shut down and change channels immediately.
I don't mind really. A guy does a walkthrough of the old Sonic the Hedgehog Sega games, and he basically swears his way through it, but I find it hilarious.
But I understand we can't all like the same thing.
Another pet peeve is the waiting music that they play when they make us wait during a phone call. Sometimes it gets on my nerves so much that I give up and end the call.
Yes, they should play really good music like Amy Winehouse or Beyonce, not annoying muzak.
And yes... advertising 🫣

I just smirk at the screen and tell them to shut up while I mute them and divert my eyes from the screen.
When a YouTube ad comes on I feel like punching the people in the ads.

Vines keep growing up my weather tower, and eventually get in the way of the anemometer and wind vane. Then I have to go out with a ladder an pruning-hook to clear the equipment. To top it off, my property abuts a farm-field that has been registered "Organic" so I can't use herbicides to keep the vine from re-sprouting and climbing the pole again.

Digging up the vines is only a temporary solution, since this is the tropics and the rainy season is in full swing.

Digging up the vines is only a temporary solution, since this is the tropics and the rainy season is in full swing.
You have my sympathy, I never found any herbicides that were much use against them anyway. You don't have trouble growing things in the tropics, you have trouble stopping them from growing. Eventually you can wear the vines down over a few years, constantly ripping out new shoots when they appear. The new shoots take resources from those huge roots and if they never get to grow any leaves to replace those resources then eventually they start to fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom