• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

No one give me the crap that flying is expensive.

It's disheartening in a way to see American flight prices. As even with the exchange rate flying a comparable distance here in Canada would cost us roughly 15-20x that price.

Reasons why flights cost more in Canada include
* Airports being funded by users rather than through government funding / subsidies
* Significantly smaller population and thus user base and available competition (historically, Canada doesn't have enough demand to support three full carriers, and the current situation with Air Canada and Westjet covering the majority of routes, with Porter having some niches, and several small LCCs (low cost carriers) and regionals being pretty reflective).

That being stated, if we're comparing apples to apples, I would say that the closest to RT (round trip) LGA-FLL on a LCC (US$53 on tree's results) would be RT YYZ-FLL on a LCC, for which the lowest fare I've found in the coming weeks is CA$135 (US$100).

YYZFLL.PNG

@Tony Ramirez , when are you scheduling with a therapist? Many have asked you the same question. Sometimes to fix what we are unhappy about comes from us finding a solution on our own. Ask to visit an out of state relative, maybe your mom will loan you airplane $$.

Even here I have to hear about someone damn travel adventure and then hear how it's expensive to fly yet they just did it multiple times. This is why I had meltdowns, got kicked out of life groups and lost friends who kept traveling to far places all the time by plane and kept rubbing it in. I was glad they dumped my ass. Now the new friends are doing the same crap, ticking me off everywhere I am making them.
I can afford to fly, I'm just not allowed to because of my heart. Nothing beyond a short hop, anyway. I prefer to drive and enjoy the scenery anyhow. I find that there's all kinds of neat stuff to explore locally if you are open to it.

@Tony Ramirez - forgive me if I've missed some posts, but you seem to be more focussed on the idea of flying more than actually going anywhere in particular?
Have you put much thought in to what you really are after - is it the idea of being in a different environment - visiting some place, or the idea of the flying itself being the important part?

I'm not criticising that at all, nothing wrong in seeking new sensations, but rather thinking on what it is, deep down, that you really want to satisfy? Is it something a bit amorphous maybe, like discovering what it is that others talk of with excitement and engagement? Or have you anything more specific in mind, such as the whole experience (for better or worse) of flying, or maybe it's specific places you're already interested in and the talk of your friends about travel have stimulated your interest?

It's not what the actual thing is that matters so much as thinking through exactly what it is that you're looking for in all this. For example, if you were to simply book a flight for the sake of the experience of flying, but it was actually something else that really attracted you to the whole idea of it (such as experiencing a different place and people), you'd still remain dissatisfied and feel you were missing out on something? In other words, maybe thinking through what underlies your desires may help understand what you really want or need?

Maybe the actual flying part is a red herring, and just an easier way of expressing something more core to your being, maybe even just the subconscious feeling that you've places to go from where you are now, but as much in your own psyche than any geographical location? More of a symbol than anything else?

I can't help but agree with what others have said about finding a therapist first - could that be the journey you'd most benefit from at first - finding a better place to be in your mind?

It's not what the actual thing is that matters so much as thinking through exactly what it is that you're looking for in all this.
I think that's a very well articulated point that all of us should probably be taking into consideration more often. I think I'll be reflecting on that thought when I journal later this evening. I don't think I've said it before but I really value your contributions in the forum @Boogs .

I think that's a very well articulated point that all of us should probably be taking into consideration more often. I think I'll be reflecting on that thought when I journal later this evening. I don't think I've said it before but I really value your contributions in the forum @Boogs .
Thank you! But I really get it all from ChatGPT! 😉

To be honest, it's mostly what I see in myself that seems to chime.

NYC is a big city in itself. So much to explore! Take the ferry and just enjoy it for a few hours!
Check out Fabscrap and volunteer! Sorting fabric for 3 hours is soothing! and it's right in Brooklyn!

NYC is a big city in itself. So much to explore! Take the ferry and just enjoy it for a few hours!
Check out Fabscrap and volunteer! Sorting fabric for 3 hours is soothing! and it's right in Brooklyn!
For someone that lives here for 47 years I am sick of death of it. Damn annoying construction workers on almost every block and damn street noise, cars blasting music and trucks, buses car horns all the time.

Especially when I have to hear the person next to me say I am going to Korea or I just came back from Ireland and I am going to Mexico now.

Especially when I have to hear the person next to me say I am going to Korea or I just came back from Ireland and I am going to Mexico now.
Sounds like you need a job that provides adequate income to pursue your interests. If that is not feasible then you may have to lower your expectations.

Sounds like you need a job that provides adequate income to pursue your interests. If that is not feasible then you may have to lower your expectations.
Easier said than done. That ship has sailed. Nothing but dead end for decades.
Why the hell you think I bothered to apply for Medicaid or do I have to repeat it for the millions time. I can't find a job again for the millions time.

For someone that lives here for 47 years I am sick of death of it. Damn annoying construction workers on almost every block and damn street noise, cars blasting music and trucks, buses car horns all the time.

Look for a job in a rural area. It's a lot cause you also have to figure out a place to live and how you get to/from job and how you move. Maybe look for a farm job where you can get residence included.

As it can be difficult to move, consider ear plugs and head phones so that you don't have to listen to noisy NYC as much.

When I did Fabscrap, it was pretty quiet in there. But it's also deep inside a warehouse. I've been lucky enough to volunteer at BOTH Philly and Brooklyn. Philly no longer accepts volunteers on a regular basis, but Brooklyn still does.

Look for a job in a rural area. It's a lot cause you also have to figure out a place to live and how you get to/from job and how you move. Maybe look for a farm job where you can get residence included.
With $543 a month disability are you joking I suppose to just pack up and leave. I would have done it s longtime ago if possible.

Easier said than done. That ship has sailed. Nothing but dead end for decades.
Why the hell you think I bothered to apply for Medicaid or do I have to repeat it for the millions time. I can't find a job again for the millions time.
Nothing of worth is easy. In addition to autism I am a diagnosed schizophrenic who fights with positive and negative symptoms. I was told I would never be able to work or get education or have a family or even live independently. I have done all of these things. There is still time left in your life to improve your lot and do some of the things you want to, but it will be an uphill battle for you with emphasis on the word battle. I suggest starting with therapy as you'll need the coping tools it can give you.

With $543 a month disability are you joking I suppose to just pack up and leave. I would have done it s longtime ago if possible.

@Tony Ramirez - you seem to mostly focus on the fact you can't do something.
Maybe instead try thinking on what the obstructions are, explicitly stated, and ask for advice on how you can try to overcome them?
e.g.
1. I don't have enough money
2. I can't travel far enough
3. The environments too difficult to handle
4. There are no jobs of such-and-such type
... and so on.
Once you express things in yourself in a more definite fashion, you can then express it to others and see what specific suggestions people can make to help with things you may not have considered.

You often have what are quite complex and difficult goals you want to achieve, but are you breaking them down into all the smaller parts you'd need to be able to do, so as to concentrate on the specific parts that are barriers?
Because looking at a mountain of a task in one go is intimidating and rarely helpful.

Sometimes we simply have no choice but to work with what resources we have. Take #1 above, not enough money.
Some choices: you budget to spend less and if necessary save up; or you find a way of getting extra money; or you find a cheaper way to do what your trying to do.
If none of those are acceptable or attainable, then you need to find something different to focus on doing that you can afford.
Unless you want to rely on a fairy godmother to wave a wand for you, this is reality, and for everyone. We all have things we'd do if we could, but realistically we simply can't and have to find other things we are able to achieve.

New Threads

Top Bottom