• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

On the subject of accuracy vs politeness

I still think that conspiracy theories are more promptly accepted, and eagerly believed, by people who need to feel in control of something (anything) but don't.

It's as if the "knowledge" that this great conspiracy exists helps them feel more secure. Since they "know" the big secret and so, feel better prepared against it.

I had a friend who was against taking medication of any kind that her doctor had prescribed her, because they use things like talcum powder as a bonding agent.

I tried to tell her that that is normal, that things like talcum powder, clay and sugar have been used for ages. When I pointed out that the vitamins she loves to take are also bonded with talcum powder, and after she read the components list she said : I'm glad you reminded me of my vitamins, almost forgot to take'm today.

She promptly swallowed a tablet of vitamins, but was still refusing to take her medication because it contained talcum powder. It was something for blood pressure, or liver function, or something like that.
🤷🏻‍♀️

It was only when they told me that the way he had spoken, how he was acting, he had basically called me a prostitute, only then did the little bulb in my head finally lit up.
They were offended because he had been rude, I was upset because he gotten some basic facts wrong.
We get offended when others get their facts wrong, and then THEY get offended when we correct them.

I have never understood why some people find facts so offensive.

We get offended when others get their facts wrong, and then THEY get offended when we correct them.

I have never understood why some people find facts so offensive.
I think "offended" is a lot of people's favourite word on the internet these days, just to get what they want.
My friend's 8-year-old wanted candy, and his dad said "what's the thing we say when we want something?" to which the little boy replied "I'm offended?" We all had to laugh but it's a sad truth really.

I think "offended" is a lot of people's favourite word on the internet these days, just to get what they want.
My friend's 8-year-old wanted candy, and his dad said "what's the thing we say when we want something?" to which the little boy replied "I'm offended?" We all had to laugh but it's a sad truth really.
I'm always a bit stunned with what people say at times.

And I've got very bad reactions when I'm caught off-guard.
I either laugh in their face or tell them that what they said is stupid.

I once had a biology teacher tell me that beavers are carnivores because they are aquatic animals 🤦🏻‍♀️
I couldn't see my facial expressions, but I don't think they were good. I proceeded to argue with him and give him the facts, but all I got was a mark down in my grades 🥴

because they use things like talcum powder as a bonding agent
Best not tell her some talc powders contain asbestos!
(lovely thought for those who like cosmetics, or use for nappy changing, etc?)
but worry not, the industry will claim all talc is uncontaminated, so that's ok then! 🙄

Maybe that was the real lesson?
"Think as I tell you, don't think for yourself!"
No... I think he really believed what he said.
And all I could think was "How... How can someone qualify to be a teacher in they don't know basic facts in the subject they teach?"

Then again 🤷🏻‍♀️ I once met a math teacher who couldn't calculate a cubic meter, didn't know the formula for it. So... 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
No... I think he really believed what he said.
And all I could think was "How... How can someone qualify to be a teacher in they don't know basic facts in the subject they teach?"

Then again 🤷🏻‍♀️ I once met a math teacher who couldn't calculate a quadratic meter, didn't know the formula for it. So... 🤷🏻‍♀️
I meant the general principal that whether right or wrong, it's the pupils job to believe the teacher, especially if the teacher is wrong, regardless of whether they know it or not (a lot of teaching is very inaccurate anyway!)

Generally as children we are taught to believe figures of authority, not to think for ourselves!

For example, my biology teacher taught us there are only five senses - when i mentioned my sense of humour, she wasn't impressed for some reason! 😊

I don't talk about my NT son nearly enough.

But his personality is ... cold. In a good way.

He loves being roasted and the better the insult, the more likely he is to say, "oh, that's a good roast." I mean, adults can't take 1/10th of what he can.

He can dish it out just as hard too. To everyone.

And as to what he wants to be when he grows up - he's been insistent on becoming an arms dealer since he was 5 years old. He still is at age 10. I think he might be serious.

He loves being roasted and the better the insult, the more likely he is to say, "oh, that's a good roast." I mean, adults can't take 1/10th of what he can.

And as to what he wants to be when he grows up - he's been insistent on becoming an arms dealer since he was 5 years old. He still is at age 10. I think he might be serious.

He's precocious. Few 5-year-olds even know what an arms dealer is!

He's precocious. Few 5-year-olds even know what an arms dealer is!
I remember when I was 5.
I wanted to be the queen of England because she got to ride on a coach pulled by beautiful Lusitanian White horses.
A kid I knew wanted to be a horse 🤷‍♀️

I remember when I was 5.
I wanted to be the queen of England because she got to ride on a coach pulled by beautiful Lusitanian White horses.
A kid I knew wanted to be a horse 🤷‍♀️

I wanted to be an Indian - Native American - and live in a teepee in the woods. My mother broke my heart when I was about 10 years old when she told me I could not be an Indian when I grew up because I wasn't born an Indian. Very unfair.

Somewhere I read that autistic people can't feel compassion either. But I think that's false.
I think it depends of the circumstances.

I can feel lots of compassion for animals and anyone I see as defenceless. Other people, that I don't empathise with, might be crying their eyes out next to me and I know I should feel sorrow for them but don't.

My autistic 5 year old wants to be a train operator. Way to slay stereotypes, kid.

My NT son wanted to be a garbage man and ride on the back of the garbage truck. His 5-year-old brain thought that was a glamorous job. I kept trying to convince him that he could OWN the garbage trucks, drive them and ride on the back of them any time if he studied hard in school and started a trash collection company. I failed. He's now a doctor, like his daddy. Ah well. . . .

My NT son wanted to be a garbage man and ride on the back of the garbage truck. His 5-year-old brain thought that was a glamorous job. I kept trying to convince him that he could OWN the garbage trucks, drive them and ride on the back of them any time if he studied hard in school and started a trash collection company. I failed. He's now a doctor, like his daddy. Ah well. . . .
My five year old cousin didn't want to have a job. When I asked him what he would do when he needed money, he said that he was a good looking boy, people would give him money because of that 🤣

He's a cook.

I asked my son once 'What do you want for your birthday?' He thought about it a bit and then said 'A grenade launcher.' I said 'Sounds good.' and that is what he got. But the context is he was into Airsoft games with his friends (and some of their parents too) and I knew that is what he meant.

But on the subject of accuracy vs politeness, I find politeness usually the better course unless in a technical/financial sort of situation where accuracy really mattered, but even then it can be done politely.

New Threads

Top Bottom