• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

Don’t ask how I stumbled on this…it’s longer than you think it is and gets weirder the longer it goes. And don’t miss the violinist’s solo.

An acoustic version of White Rabbit

20240716_104340.jpg

Stainless steel medical ID bracelet
(Hoffman device I was forced to wear on my shattered left wrist in the early 80s)
It was clunky and got caught on everything.
I was constantly having to go back to the surgeon who installed it to have the hardware retorqued because it was in a constant state of disassembly because of how rough I was on it.
After a bit, I started carrying the required wrenches so I could do it myself before I got him to dial it in.
Eventually I went into his office with blue Loctite (industrial thread locking compound) in order to prevent it from falling apart.
That worked fantastic I might add.

No doubt that I was using my arm above and beyond where I should have been at the time.
(yes, I figured out how to use it as a bridge to shoot pool with it too)
(one joker one night accused me of having it put on my arm to improve my pool skills)
( I was in the process of draining and flushing his and other's wallets playing nine ball in the local pool hall) :p

Of course because I had a lot of time to study it, I redesigned it (machinist/mech engineers will do that)and figured out a way to improve on all aspects of it.
My ideas were scoffed at because I wasn't a medical professional.

The brass monogram was fitted to it by me when an engraver refused to do it on the device :p

Alrighty then...

View attachment 132339
Stainless steel medical ID bracelet
(Hoffman device I was forced to wear on my shattered left wrist in the early 80s)
It was clunky and got caught on everything.
I was constantly having to go back to the surgeon who installed it to have the hardware retorqued because it was in a constant state of disassembly because of how rough I was on it.
After a bit, I started carrying the required wrenches so I could do it myself before I got him to dial it in.
Eventually I went into his office with blue Loctite (industrial thread locking compound) in order to prevent it from falling apart.
That worked fantastic I might add.

No doubt that I was using my arm above and beyond where I should have been at the time.
(yes, I figured out how to use it as a bridge to shoot pool with it too)
(one joker one night accused me of having it put on my arm to improve my pool skills)
( I was in the process of draining and flushing his and other's wallets playing nine ball in the local pool hall) :p

Of course because I had a lot of time to study it, I redesigned it (machinist/mech engineers will do that)and figured out a way to improve on all aspects of it.
My ideas were scoffed at because I wasn't a medical professional.

The brass monogram was fitted to it by me when an engraver refused to do it on the device :p

Alrighty then...
Experts generally assume that they are smarter than a handyman about everything, but their repairs are appalling. I saw a copy of the Apollo moon buggy, and any racing bike mechanic could have made it a lot lighter. In general, NASA designs vehicles without reference to Earthly experience. Car guys must quit in frustration.

Experts generally assume that they are smarter than a handyman about everything, but their repairs are appalling. I saw a copy of the Apollo moon buggy, and any racing bike mechanic could have made it a lot lighter. In general, NASA designs vehicles without reference to Earthly experience. Car guys must quit in frustration.
I always said that if the task at hand was to dig a ditch on the moon, it would serve them better to ask a ditch digger how to do it instead of a book smart person who has no experience in that matter.

Experts generally assume that they are smarter than a handyman about everything
There's a cognitive bias (which I can't be bothered to look up the name of) whereby experts tend to believe that if they're good at one thing, they must be good at most other things that may intersect their area of expertise!

I tell them to look up Dunning-Kruger, they return 10 seconds later to say they know all about it now!
(geddit? 😏)

Did you know: Selfies go back to the Cretaceous period...
(#264 in a series of 50,367)
1721308124175.png

I'm not a big fan of it myself. We never get snow in Adelaide of course but it's been pretty cold, down to 2 degrees a couple of nights. I expect to get a big power bill next quarter.
Two degrees is going to ruin the mango crop.

All my photos of great snowfall are on film and hidden among the several large boxes I have of old photos.

Two degrees is going to ruin the mango crop.
Fortunately we've had enough wind and rain with it that we haven't had a frost, that's a farmer's dread. The cold is good for some things though, we should have a good almond crop this year.

Fortunately we've had enough wind and rain with it that we haven't had a frost, that's a farmer's dread. The cold is good for some things though, we should have a good almond crop this year.
Cold is good for many fruits, peaches, most nuts (macadamia an exception), apples, pears, cherries. I can’t grow any of those,

Cold is good for many fruits, peaches, most nuts (macadamia an exception), apples, pears, cherries. I can’t grow any of those,
I saw lots of funny fails up the top end with people trying to grow southern fruits and vegetables. The funniest was always cauliflower, it grows spectacularly but doesn't flower, lots of big green leaves and nothing else. And anyone that tries to grow cabbages gets their yard swarmed by insects that will eat everything else too.

I saw lots of funny fails up the top end with people trying to grow southern fruits and vegetables. The funniest was always cauliflower, it grows spectacularly but doesn't flower, lots of big green leaves and nothing else. And anyone that tries to grow cabbages gets their yard swarmed by insects that will eat everything else too.
I don’t know what that means. ‘Fails at the top end.’

But agreed that trying to grow plants outside of their temperature and light ranges is frequently doomed.

I don’t know what that means. ‘Fails at the top end.’
The tropics in Australia is often called The Top End, it's a common phrase I'm used to using and I often forget it might confuse others. That region has a highly transient population, many people only staying for a few years. And when they move up there for the first time most people will try to grow a few things that they're familiar with regardless of local advice.

The cauliflower is always funny because they spend the first couple of months saying "See. It does grow here.". :)

New Threads

Top Bottom