• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

The tropics in Australia is often called The Top End, it's a common phrase I'm used to using and I often forget it might confuse others. That region has a highly transient population, many people only staying for a few years. And when they move up there for the first time most people will try to grow a few things that they're familiar with regardless of local advice.

The cauliflower is always funny because they spend the first couple of months saying "See. It does grow here.". :)
I sort of guessed that, but it didn’t quite hang together. Also, you didn’t include the bit about being proud to grow it and it never flowers. Thank you.

People came to south Florida in the 1920s and 30s to farm and there were vast failures. In addition to the heat and bugs, there are no organic nutrients in the soil. None. I’ve had my soil tested and there is nothing there. Even after piling compost on year after year.

People came to south Florida in the 1920s and 30s to farm and there were vast failures. In addition to the heat and bugs, there are no organic nutrients in the soil. None. I’ve had my soil tested and there is nothing there. Even after piling compost on year after year.
It was the same in and around Darwin, it's what you call Semi Arid Tropics. For 8 months of the year there's no rain, then in 4 months you get a couple of metres of rainfall and everything gets leached out of the soil. Lucky that soil is very porous though, imagine how much water that is if it's got nowhere to go. Cities down south get flooded if they get 50 mm of rain in a day, in Darwin you can get 150 mm in an hour.

1721503370603.png

Something weird, every evening between 10:30pm and 11:00pm a bird flies over my house. It's either the same bird every time or the same type of bird. I think it's the same bird. It's 10:55 and I heard it now. It makes a very distinct sound, special sound. So it flies over my house and 5 minutes later it comes back. Always following the same path, same direction, same everything.

This has now happened for so long that I have to find out what kind of bird that is. 🤔 It's a little dark and it's fast, I just see the silhouette against the sky. It's unusual, why does it fly past here every day at the same time? Does it have a job? What is going on.

Something weird, every evening between 10:30pm and 11:00pm a bird flies over my house.....
It can't be a courier pigeon, they only fly one way.

I'd lay money on it being a crow that's learnt when one of your local restaurants or fast food places puts it's rubbish out. They're certainly smart enough for that and their feathers are hard enough that their wings make quite a bit of noise as they fly.

It can't be a courier pigeon, they only fly one way.

I'd lay money on it being a crow that's learnt when one of your local restaurants or fast food places puts it's rubbish out. They're certainly smart enough for that and their feathers are hard enough that their wings make quite a bit of noise as they fly.

No it's not a crow. That I know for sure. I'm a little puzzled because of the sound it makes. I haven't heard that sound before, I only hear it when that bird flies over here in the evening. It's very quiet outside here in the evening so I hear it coming. And you don't hear birds here late in the evening, only that one. It makes a short squeaking sound every 3 seconds. It sounds a lot like it's using echolocation. And it's not a bat, bird for sure.

It's just a bird but I noticed it this spring and it has done this for months now. Same path, same time of day, every day. No food places or rubbish here but I think it might be following a small river. Maybe. I don't know, I'm just a little hung up on that bird now. :) It's a mysterious bird.
A strange little bird.

Last edited:
And you don't hear birds here late in the evening, only that one. It makes a short squeaking sound every 3 seconds. It sounds a lot like it's using echolocation.
Geese do that except not for echolocation, I think they do it to help each other keep in formation when they're flying as a group. Not as regular as what you're describing but up the top end it was common for a lone goose to fly overhead at night. My dog used to go mental because the Magpie Geese we had there made exactly the same sound as one of her chewy toys.

Geese do that except not for echolocation, I think they do it to help each other keep in formation when they're flying as a group. Not as regular as what you're describing but up the top end it was common for a lone goose to fly overhead at night. My dog used to go mental because the Magpie Geese we had there made exactly the same sound as one of her chewy toys.

I think I'm going to hide outside with a huge spotlight and a camera and when I hear it coming I turn on the equipment and light up the sky. 😆 I'm just so curious about what kind of bird it is.

I think I'm going to hide outside with a huge spotlight and a camera and when I hear it coming I turn on the equipment and light up the sky. 😆 I'm just so curious about what kind of bird it is.
So, 10pm in Norway, it is still light, right? Or at least dusky?

I would venture it is one or more swallows. They sound a lot like bats, with their high pitched squeaks. Usually they fly in flocks, here.

At dusk, they gather and will fly a route before settling in for the night.

Is it a drone? Are you doing something off the grid,:) someone is watching you @Forest Cat?

I do so many things so maybe it's a spy drone. 😉 No, it's a bird and you know what, it is now 10:10 and the bird just flew over my house again. 😆 I'm not kidding, it really did. It was early today, it's usually between 10:30 and 11:00. Maybe it's taking an extra round today.

So, 10pm in Norway, it is still light, right? Or at least dusky?

I would venture it is one or more swallows. They sound a lot like bats, with their high pitched squeaks. Usually they fly in flocks, here.

At dusk, they gather and will fly a route before settling in for the night.

Yes, it's dusky. I see the bird but I can't make out any details, like colors. There are swallows here but this is not a swallow. It's bigger and it doesn't move like a swallow. Swallows glide, this thing is flapping vigorously. I will figure it out somehow. 🤔

Yes, it's dusky. I see the bird but I can't make out any details, like colors. There are swallows here but this is not a swallow. It's bigger and it doesn't move like a swallow. Swallows glide, this thing is flapping vigorously. I will figure it out somehow. 🤔
Ok. Bigger than a swallow and flapping hard. And flying at dusk. Now I would suspect a water bird, a heron or egret. They fly at dusk to their roosts and will make a pass or two before settling down. The herons here have short loud squawks repeated at intervals.

Ok. Bigger than a swallow and flapping hard. And flying at dusk. Now I would suspect a water bird, a heron or egret. They fly at dusk to their roosts and will make a pass or two before settling down. The herons here have short loud squawks repeated at intervals.

Hm 🤔 I think you might be onto something. I'll read a little more and listen to some bird sounds.

If you translate "Batman" into German, you get "Fleidermausmensch." If you translate "Fleidermausmensch" into English you get "Flying Mouse Man." Hint Hint.

New Threads

Top Bottom