• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

1727048198276.png

I do not think I am supposed to write about this here but because it is a special interest of mine, I think it will be strange and unusual to other people.

Dyneema is the the strongest rope in the world. It is a remarkable material as strong or stronger than steel but 1/7th its weight and, it floats. But it was made 50% stronger by a company using a wonderful idea based on a simple principle.

Dyneema is so strong a 180lb person could be supported by 1mm Dyneema. I have some of that and I have spliced it (joined it to itself and other pieces of Dyneema cord).

Kevlar is amazing, Dyneema is 40% stronger than Kevlar (sometimes used in bullet resistant vests). But the company Samson Rope, made Dyneema even stronger. They did not change its molecular formula or even its braiding. They took standard Dyneema rope and did something to it.

I was stumped as to what they could do so make it stronger until it was explained to me and I did that head-slapping thing because it made obvious sense.

All rope is made of fibers. The smallest fibers are called threads, they are twisted into strands, the large strands twisted or braided into rope. This is the problem. The threads throughout the rope are exactly the same but the ones on the outside have longer to travel over curves, the ones inside can be compressed, bunched up. The problem is if you imagine 100 threads each able to support 1lb, the thought it you could lift 100lbs with 100 threads. In rope, you cannot. This is because not all the threads and strands are evenly lifting the load. Some on the outside are working 100%, some inside 50%. A weaker rope than it could be. A sacrifice made in rope for thousands of years.

But Sampson beat it 🙂

They put the Dyneema rope through a process where they heat it under a heavy load. Stretching the fibers until they are more even in length and so more are doing the work. Now a much stronger rope. I think it is wonderful.

Oh, I do not think anyone is curious but I want to mention anyway, Dyneema does terribly with heat, even a little can destroy it. Kevlar does so well with heat firefighters wear it in their clothing.

I do not think I am supposed to write about this here but because it is a special interest of mine, I think it will be strange and unusual to other people.

Dyneema is the the strongest rope in the world. It is a remarkable material as strong or stronger than steel but 1/7th its weight and, it floats. But it was made 50% stronger by a company using a wonderful idea based on a simple principle.

Dyneema is so strong a 180lb person could be supported by 1mm Dyneema. I have some of that and I have spliced it (joined it to itself and other pieces of Dyneema cord).

Kevlar is amazing, Dyneema is 40% stronger than Kevlar (sometimes used in bullet resistant vests). But the company Samson Rope, made Dyneema even stronger. They did not change its molecular formula or even its braiding. They took standard Dyneema rope and did something to it.

I was stumped as to what they could do so make it stronger until it was explained to me and I did that head-slapping thing because it made obvious sense.

All rope is made of fibers. The smallest fibers are called threads, they are twisted into strands, the large strands twisted or braided into rope. This is the problem. The threads throughout the rope are exactly the same but the ones on the outside have longer to travel over curves, the ones inside can be compressed, bunched up. The problem is if you imagine 100 threads each able to support 1lb, the thought it you could lift 100lbs with 100 threads. In rope, you cannot. This is because not all the threads and strands are evenly lifting the load. Some on the outside are working 100%, some inside 50%. A weaker rope than it could be. A sacrifice made in rope for thousands of years.

But Sampson beat it 🙂

They put the Dyneema rope through a process where they heat it under a heavy load. Stretching the fibers until they are more even in length and so more are doing the work. Now a much stronger rope. I think it is wonderful.

Oh, I do not think anyone is curious but I want to mention anyway, Dyneema does terribly with heat, even a little can destroy it. Kevlar does so well with heat firefighters wear it in their clothing.
I find that fascinating. I am familiar with fibers and how they are spun.

But, if I were to stretch a multi-fibered yarn, I can make the fibers more even, BUT, at least in my case, the yarn would be weaker, not stronger. The twist in the fibers is what make it strong. Get rid of the twist, gets rid of the strength.

I find that fascinating. I am familiar with fibers and how they are spun.

But, if I were to stretch a multi-fibered yarn, I can make the fibers more even, BUT, at least in my case, the yarn would be weaker, not stronger. The twist in the fibers is what make it strong. Get rid of the twist, gets rid of the strength.

Hello 🙂

The better rope has fibers all the same size. If looking at manila rope in a hardware store, notice the fibers. It might seem some are very large with almost sticks in it. That is fine for garden work or household use but it is not good rope. You might see some manila rope in the store and all the fibers loo so alike it is hard to see them separately. That is excellent rope because the fibers will more evenly share the load and so make the rope stronger and also not have unexpected weak spots that can break.

The nicest rope I ever saw was amazing. It seemed impossible. I was hired to make some rope lines for a restaurant seating area. The brought me a box of linen rope that was new old stock from the 1960s. New old stock means although it was made a long time ago, it is new in the box, never used.

It was 100% perfect. Every single thread was the same along the full length of the rope. I do not undertow they could do that. The technique involves combing the fibers, over and over, making them uniform in size. But it takes more time and money. I do not understand how they did such a perfect job. They let me keep a piece after I was done.

I am confused about your yarn being weaker if it were less twisted. Part of me thinks I understand but if you can explain it I would like to know.

This picture below is the linen rope new from the 1960s. I made a man-rope knot on the end.
linen rope.jpg

Last edited:
There are differences in how different fibers for different uses are prepared. Some fibers are teased into roving and then the roving is spun. There is a special name for the spinning of linen making all the fibers straight such as you are describing, but I’ve forgotten what it is.

I’m unlikely to explain this well because I know it the experience of working with fibers and spinning yarns: experiential knowledge rather than scientific.

Actually, having now tried a couple of explanations, I can’t explain it. I could easily demonstrate it.

I’m sorry, grommet. Maybe it will come to me. If so, I will let you know.

There are differences in how different fibers for different uses are prepared. Some fibers are teased into roving and then the roving is spun. There is a special name for the spinning of linen making all the fibers straight such as you are describing, but I’ve forgotten what it is.

I’m unlikely to explain this well because I know it the experience of working with fibers and spinning yarns: experiential knowledge rather than scientific.

Actually, having now tried a couple of explanations, I can’t explain it. I could easily demonstrate it.

I’m sorry, grommet. Maybe it will come to me. If so, I will let you know.

it is okay with me if you cannot explain it now, it is fun talking. 🙂

I find that fascinating.
I find it fascinating too. Mum used to spin her own wool when I was young, but that wasn't spun for strength.

For practical purposes around the house the strongest cord you can get is Venetian Blind Cord. When I was living in the bush that's what I used for holding up tarpaulins and shade cloth. Much stronger than nylon ropes and also UV resistant. It got severely tested in several cyclones and never let me down.

GRROPE0063_1080.jpeg

I find it fascinating too. Mum used to spin her own wool when I was young, but that wasn't spun for strength.

For practical purposes around the house the strongest cord you can get is Venetian Blind Cord. When I was living in the bush that's what I used for holding up tarpaulins and shade cloth. Much stronger than nylon ropes and also UV resistant. It got severely tested in several cyclones and never let me down.

View attachment 135499
I’ll have to look around for the Venetian blind cord. The go-to rope here for canoeing is paracord.

Handspun yarn can be strong depending on what it is made of and how tightly it was spun. It’s Australia so she must have been spinning wool. So you remember what type of wheel it was? And did she knit little sweaters for you when you were young?

Someday I’d like to hear your cyclone experiences in the bush.

I forgot to say how beautiful that linen rope is. I’m glad you posted that picture.

Yes, it is fun talking. :)

It felt like treasure when they brought me the box and I looked inside. No one had touched it since the mid 1960s. Brand new, shipped to the chandler (boat/ship supply store). I was the first person to touch it since and the only one who ever used it. I felt special 🙂

I wish I could see you talk about spinning, showing thing and explaining them.

View attachment 135499

I think this is outstanding advice. Better than I have given. It is terrific stuff and especially for people who are not knot tyers, easier to knot and untie, it grips very well and is quite strong. I wonder if it is expensive.

New Threads

Top Bottom