• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

@Outdated, it's amazing what you guys have down there, I have never seen an ant nest like this before. 😮 Spinifex termites.

1726432480689.png

@Outdated, it's amazing what you guys have down there, I have never seen an ant nest like this before. 😮 Spinifex termites.
We've got all sorts of termites here. Look up Magnetic Termites, we have those up the top end. Their mounds are flat sided and all run on a north south axis. Looks really weird when you first see a valley full of them, like a giant's graveyard. They're all 5 metres tall or more.

MagneticTermites.jpg

I've tried to get my head around all this, looking at individual related climate studies, such as glaciation, and sea changes (temperatures, currents, sea level, changing bio-diversity, etc etc etc ...) and more, and I came to the conclusion that we know far too little about how everything interacts (hardly surprising considering the complexity and lack of knowledge) never mind fully understanding the individual systems, and attacking particular targets won't help (or not enough) and will very likely have unintended negative effects elsewhere.

It seems to me the real problem is the current human population, being artificially and unsustainably far too large, and the current global commercial and cultural system of expansion being the fuel that our societies run on, regardless of their political bias.

The only way I could see a 'fix' would be a fundamental change in how humans live, requiring a complete change of how we view our place in the biosphere that created and sustains us. Global government of some sort would be needed with the collective power to control even the most powerful nation states and to try and force that would just result in world war. It's clear we lack the motivation to make this change voluntarily, so nature will do it for us.

But that shouldn't be a reason to be downhearted. Without the last mass extinction we wouldn't have evolved. It can be viewed that we are just an indivisible part of the whole of whatever is considered living matter on the planet. Just as birth requires death, so the creation of new species comes from the diminution and extinction of others. We sometimes speak of our own evolution, but don't think of all the possible ways this could happen and what would come from us.

We are all subject to being cursed to "live in interesting times".
Still, it's a bit of a bummer really! 😉
Aye, tinkering with nature will probably always be full of surprises. I can imagine a vast effort to clone new Mammoths only to find out that Mammoths kill humans on sight, unlike Elephants, which I hear find us cute.

Agreed that the mastery of nature that fuel and machines have given has led to us overrunning every wilderness, and degrading a lot of fertile land. The population boom is so extreme that the fossil record will now show a new age, the Anthropocene. We can't continue if we try to live as our grandfathers lived, but we would just change our diet, we could return half of the land to nature and avoid the bust that usually follows a population boom.

I think that our basic problem is that Ma Nature, in her crapshoot selection of genes, didn't rule out psychopaths because in tribal times, they were not dangerous and sometimes very useful. However, with agriculture came granaries big enough to get a city through a year with no crops, and that concentrated wealth both attracted the psychos like nothing else, and gave them the means to stay in control. I don't know how to get the world back from the tiny number of owners, and get it to serve the common good, not the greedheads.

I'm not worried about a total cessation of life on Earth, but I would really mourn the loss of knowledge. The prospect of another thousand incarnations with people who don't know why the wind blows or the stars shine seems frustrating and boring.

We've got all sorts of termites here. Look up Magnetic Termites, we have those up the top end. Their mounds are flat sided and all run on a north south axis. Looks really weird when you first see a valley full of them, like a giant's graveyard. They're all 5 metres tall or more.

View attachment 134956

Australia has weird ants. :)

I watched something yesterday called "Opal Hunters Red Dirt Road Trip". That's a pretty good series. Australia is an interesting place. And weird. :) 🦘

I guess being north/south oriented, they'll probably get the best exposure to the sun all year round? i.e. could it be an external heating effect they've evolved to exploit?

I guess being north/south oriented, they'll probably get the best exposure to the sun all year round? i.e. could it be an external heating effect they've evolved to exploit?
That's exactly it. They catch the early morning sun and the late afternoon sun full on their flat faces, but during the middle of the day the sun is mostly striking them on the edge so that the poor little ants don't fry.

Australia has weird ants. :)

I watched something yesterday called "Opal Hunters Red Dirt Road Trip". That's a pretty good series. Australia is an interesting place. And weird. :) 🦘
I love opals. If I were given the choice between an opal and any other valuable stone, diamonds, etc. I would choose the opal.

I am afraid I will be unable to travel anymore, but if I can, I’d love to go to Australia (and Norway ;) ).

I'm not sure why but Australian opals seem to show a lot more blues than those found in the northern hemisphere.

Opals are made from bones and sea shells. We've found a few partial skeletons made of opal, and one almost complete one, a Pliosaur called Eric. A few years back there was news of another complete skeleton being found, but that went all quiet again. They probably did find one, the same thing happened when they found Eric, too many people knowing where it is would make it a huge security concern.

Umoonasaurus demoscyllus

Have you seen this?:

Outback Opal Hunters (TV Series 2018– ) ⭐ 7.0 | Documentary

I have been watching this series for a while and I think it's very interesting, good series. Opals are special, amazing colors.

View attachment 134986
I’ve seen the trailer but can’t see the show without spending a lot of money.
I'm not sure why but Australian opals seem to show a lot more blues than those found in the northern hemisphere.

Opals are made from bones and sea shells. We've found a few partial skeletons made of opal, and one almost complete one, a Pliosaur called Eric. A few years back there was news of another complete skeleton being found, but that went all quiet again. They probably did find one, the same thing happened when they found Eric, too many people knowing where it is would make it a huge security concern.

Umoonasaurus demoscyllus
Australian opals are far superior in quality to any others. Within Australia there are different mines and the characteristics of the opals varies from mine to mine.

I am partial to the vibrant blues, but some opals like those from the Cooper-Pedy mines are mostly white. Apparently reds are considered the most valuable.

Learning skeletons and fossils could be opalised was new to me. Also just rocks.

I had to stop going to the opal websites because I was spending too much money on opals. :confused: I just can’t buy every opal I see just because they are pretty.

New Threads

Top Bottom