• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

I think that Dyneema is made with continuous fibers. So, it does not need spinning except to avoid getting too sleazy, and to let occasional broken fibers remain effective for most of their length. In paracord, as in bungee cord, the load-bearing fibers run straight down the middle, protected by a woven cover.
I recently helped a tree surgeon, and his climbing ropes were a revelation, very thick, but also extremely flexible.
So you are saying every fiber of Dyneema is unbroken the entire length of the rope? Miles long? I just don’t know. Pulled silk is made by unwinding the thread of the cocoon. The cocoons are put into,hot water to soften. Then a few fibers at a time, microns thick, are pulled out by specially trained women who can tell when a single fiber breaks off. These are the size of spider webs. Silk is stronger per weight than steel.

Back to the dyneema, the silk fibers above still need to be spun or there is no integrity to the yarn. The Dyneema would have to be spun too. Stretching it would weaken the fiber.
That 100 metre roll cost me Au$20 (US$12) so not exactly cheap but not overly expensive either. Well worth it's price.

She had a couple of different wheels, one large and quite ornamental one for spinning at home and an easily foldable one that she took to fairs and competitions.

Yes, she was spinning wool, Australia's got a lot of sheep. And yes she used to knit me jumpers as well as selling them on consignment in a few touristy type shops under her own label. The trouble is that all the jumpers she knitted me were too pretty for a man to wear, women loved them though and I got told off for giving them away.

One time as a stress relief mechanism I started crocheting, and I had a whole heap of jumpers that I was never going to wear so I used the wool to crochet. Not having too much imagination half a dozen jumpers turned into a lovely oval shaped floor rug about 5 feet by 3 feet. Mum loved it and claimed it back from me, it ended up in her lounge room.

She finally stopped knitting me jumpers after she moved up to Darwin. It was much more difficult to get wool up there and no spinning clubs that she could join.
The traveling wheel was almost surely a Charkha wheel. I had one for a while. It just didn’t spin very well. I was thinking for the at home wheel she would have had an Ashford wheel, but they are not ornate. She may have had a good woodworker make a fancy one. I had an outstandingly balanced wheel.

I like the idea if all your jumpers being repurposed into a rug. I did a similar thing with just all the left over scraps of different yarns.

No point in knitting in Darwin. Too hot for wool. I quit spinning when I moved to Florida.

No point in knitting in Darwin. Too hot for wool. I quit spinning when I moved to Florida.
Mum really missed her spinning, she had always wanted to try spinning silk but when I pointed out the number of spiders we have around the place and the fact that they make silk she wasn't too keen on the idea. :)

Dyneema starts as melted plastic, so any length is possible, just as with glass fibers. It is exactly the same chemistry as a common polyethylene bag, and melts at the same temperature. The difference is that in the bag, the molecules are just tangled up at random, or mildly oriented by stretching, but in the rope, repeated drawing has aligned all the molecules along the fiber. They'd rather tangle, though, and will do so before visibly melting when heated. The chemistry is CH2, and the basic structure is just a string of Carbon atoms between two strings of Hydrogen. It is like pure Carbon fiber, but padded out so a crack can't run from Carbon to Carbon, and the density is lower, which is a great advantage for things like structural panels and light framework. Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) just means that the fibers are very long after careful processing to reduce and/or connect any ends.

448695623_879816014187340_5744901408401927337_n.jpg

Ed

Thanks.

Had an acquaintance who'd been in jail in the south
(USA, Georgia, maybe. )
And the sheriff's wife was the cook for the inmates.

Pig brains were very cheap.

The inmates got pig brains, pretty much every day.

He was not a fan.

Aunt Bea would never feed Andy and Barney's inmates with pig brains! She served fried chicken, meat loaf, and spaghetti. (Referring to the old American TV show known as "Andy Griffith" and "Andy of Mayberry".);)

In Serbia fried brain is a delicacy in restaurants, you'll need to actually pay a lot for it.

How do you say "no brains for me please, no brains" in Serbian? 🤔 Just in case I end up in a resturant there sometime, I want to be sure I don't get the brains. :)

How do you say "no brains for me please, no brains" in Serbian? 🤔 Just in case I end up in a resturant there sometime, I want to be sure I don't get the brains. :)
"ja neću mozak, hvala" will be translated as "i dont' want the brain, thanks." And I wish you luck with learning how to pronounce that heh

In Serbia fried brain is a delicacy in restaurants, you'll need to actually pay a lot for it.
Here a traditional delicacy is Witchety Grubs. They're eaten alive, you hold the head and bite the rest of the body off. I've seen plenty of them when collecting firewood but I've never felt the urge to find out what they taste like.

Witchetty-grub-1024x533.jpg

Mum really missed her spinning, she had always wanted to try spinning silk but when I pointed out the number of spiders we have around the place and the fact that they make silk she wasn't too keen on the idea. :)
For heaven’s sake, Outdated. Silk is spun by caterpillars, not spiders. It is one of the most soft and strong fibers for clothing. Now, you must go out and purchase for her a silk scarf. You can get one on Temu for about $10

Dyneema starts as melted plastic, so any length is possible, just as with glass fibers. It is exactly the same chemistry as a common polyethylene bag, and melts at the same temperature. The difference is that in the bag, the molecules are just tangled up at random, or mildly oriented by stretching, but in the rope, repeated drawing has aligned all the molecules along the fiber. They'd rather tangle, though, and will do so before visibly melting when heated. The chemistry is CH2, and the basic structure is just a string of Carbon atoms between two strings of Hydrogen. It is like pure Carbon fiber, but padded out so a crack can't run from Carbon to Carbon, and the density is lower, which is a great advantage for things like structural panels and light framework. Ultra High Molecular Weight (UHMW) just means that the fibers are very long after careful processing to reduce and/or connect any ends.
They still need to be spun to hold the fibers together. The fewer twists per inch, the lower strength of the yarn.

I lost all contact with family many years ago. I don't even know if she still lives.
Then you still need to go out and buy someone a silk scarf to make up for your mischief. I’m teasing you know. About you. And having been a spinner for a long time, I empathize with her. When I moved into the woods, I finally sold my last wheel. Broke my heart.

Here a traditional delicacy is Witchety Grubs. They're eaten alive, you hold the head and bite the rest of the body off. I've seen plenty of them when collecting firewood but I've never felt the urge to find out what they taste like.

View attachment 135594
I think whether or not it appeals depends on how hungry you are and what your diet is typically. If you are fat-starved, I suspect these would be quite appealing.

New Threads

Top Bottom