• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

I’ve spent a bit of time muddling around with communication between people who aren’t fluent in one language or another. It can come out to some weird thoughts.
Oh yes, I know 5 languages and can speak on 3 of them, so there are often some funny situations and misunderstandings. I myself think on english, so when i speak to serbs here (or with my brother on a call, he speaks russian), i am forcing my brain to translate in real time, and because i am talking faster than my brain translates, sometimes i just say some words on english, if i can't remember the translation. at first people were freaked out and it was amusing/stupid for them, and later they all themselves started saying some things in english like that, so it's a funny thing to see, how I brought some strange mixed language with myself

and because i am talking faster than my brain translates, sometimes i just say some words on english,
I heard an old German friend talking to his sister one day and the conversation had English words and phrases all through it. After he finished the call I said "You could never go back to Germany again, you can't speak German any more." He laughed then told me that they had always spoken like that because some things were just easier to say in English.

I heard an old German friend talking to his sister one day and the conversation had English words and phrases all through it. After he finished the call I said "You could never go back to Germany again, you can't speak German any more." He laughed then told me that they had always spoken like that because some things were just easier to say in English.
I was learning German in the school (i was forced to learn it by my parents, I myself wanted to learn French instead) and wow I hated it with my whole being. It was just incredibly hard to comprehend, and read, and write. So I understand the "it's easier to say in English" :D

Oh yes, I know 5 languages and can speak on 3 of them, so there are often some funny situations and misunderstandings. I myself think on english, so when i speak to serbs here (or with my brother on a call, he speaks russian), i am forcing my brain to translate in real time, and because i am talking faster than my brain translates, sometimes i just say some words on english, if i can't remember the translation. at first people were freaked out and it was amusing/stupid for them, and later they all themselves started saying some things in english like that, so it's a funny thing to see, how I brought some strange mixed language with myself
Me too. Experienced and observed. Many of our local Hispanics mixed English and Spanish together - just run on -no pauses for language change. Fluent Spanglish. :)

I myself wanted to learn French instead
I did French in high school and hated it. I really struggled to learn anything. Many years later I had a French Suisse girlfriend and I seemed to learn a lot more from her in just a few months than I did from years of school. Her dog was very well behaved but he didn't understand English, you had to talk to him in French.

I did French in high school and hated it. I really struggled to learn anything. Many years later I had a French Suisse girlfriend and I seemed to learn a lot more from her in just a few months than I did from years of school. Her dog was very well behaved but he didn't understand English, you had to talk to him in French.
The first time I was in Quebec, driving north for a canoe trip we stopped at a rest area. There was a little ground squirrel who clearly wanted to come and get something to eat. I was holding something out muttering something like Come, come. It’s okay. And the squirrel is going back and forth.

It suddenly hit me the squirrel did not speak English. As soon as I called: Viens, viens, he came right over.

456506618_1067494208279803_1099658031781724631_n.jpg

Ed

yeah i tried to not phrase that as "i don't need brain" :D

Wait a minute, you're tricking me, aren't you. 🤔 What you said probably means something like "I'm a very stupid man". I know this trick, the last time I taught someone Norwegian, the first thing I taught him to say was "Hei, jeg har bare èn testikkel og min elsker er en geit". It means "Hello, I have only one testicle and my lover is a goat". He thought he was saying "Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet you". 😆

I had two years of French in high school. I tell people that they "know more French than they realize."

"Really?"

"Sure. What do you think 'Je ne sais pas' means...?" ;)

Wait a minute, you're tricking me, aren't you. 🤔 What you said probably means something like "I'm a very stupid man". I know this trick, the last time I taught someone Norwegian, the first thing I taught him to say was "Hei, jeg har bare èn testikkel og min elsker er en geit". It means "Hello, I have only one testicle and my lover is a goat". He thought he was saying "Hello, I'm new here, nice to meet you". 😆
After I started learning Danish, I can see from what yoy writr that Norwegian looks similar to me. How similar those languages actually are?

After I started learning Danish, I can see from what yoy writr that Norwegian looks similar to me. How similar those languages actually are?

They are so similar that if you speak Norwegian and you put a hot potato in your mouth, you speak almost perfect Danish. :) Or just get drunk, the Danes sound like drunk Norwegians. 😆They slur everything. Denmark used to own Norway, there was a union. We share so much with the lovely Danes.

Guess my French is too bad to understand the joke.

It means "I don't know". :)

Aha, maybe i then should learn Norwegian, because some things in Danish pronunciation makes me so mad. :D

Have you learned the numbers yet? That's fun. They say weird things like Halvtreds and Otteoghalvfjerds. They have their own system.

Danish pronunciation is special 🙂 It can be a lot of fun. And sometimes very annoying.

Have you learned the numbers yet? That's fun. They say weird things like Halvtreds and Otteoghalvfjerds. They have their own system.

Danish pronunciation is special 🙂 It can be a lot of fun. And sometimes very annoying.
i just learned that six is sex, so whenever i heard someone saying that in train station or other places i was wiggling eyebrows at my autistic danish friend who was dying from shyness near me haha

I tried to learn danish with that duolingo, and i showed it to him and he said that it has bad pronunciation...

i just learned that six is sex, so whenever i heard someone saying that in train station or other places i was wiggling eyebrows at my autistic danish friend who was dying from shyness near me haha

I tried to learn danish with that duolingo, and i showed it to him and he said that it has bad pronunciation...

It does sound like they are saying "sex", but both the Danes and us at least have the common sense to write it like this: "seks". The Swedes on the other hand just write "sex" when they are talking about the number six. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom