• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Sigma males

Are you a Sigma Male/Female?

• Yes

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pardon?

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters
Best thing a man can be is good. What is good, for a man? Well, to an extent, same thing that's good for everyone else plus some of what is good for him individually and he's got to figure that last part out for himself.

I liked your post. This last part reminded me of a quote from Marcus Aurelius:

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.

And a few more which may be appropriate:

Not to display anger or other emotions. To be free of passion and yet full of love.

He was a man who looked at what ought to be done, not to the reputation which is got by a man's acts.

This thou must always bear in mind, what is the nature of the whole...

Remember that all is opinion.

Good point. Personality just seems to be an illusion, anyway. It's like a series of coping strategies and responses we mistake for ourselves. Character is much more important. If I remember right, you're a Christian, so I'm probably not telling you anything you don't know :)
Yes, I am a Christian. As for personality, I think that people do have different personality traits but I think they don't really fit into the personality type boxes so well. I think traits can go in way more combinations and would be very difficult to truly categorize. Also, I believe that various elements of someone's personality can change due to various factors.

It's hard for me to see how intelligence can lead to lack of friends.
This is in regards to how far away from the mean you are. As you move away from the mean (IQ 100) there are fewer and fewer people who will match your intelligence. It becomes increasingly isolating, as most people associate and bond with people of similar intelligence.

Someone once pointed out that if the mean IQ is 100, and 70 is considered (clinically) mentally retarded, those 30 points are significant. Now, consider a situation where your IQ is 130, 30 points higher than the mean. The difference is the same. A person with an IQ of 130 would perceive the average person with an IQ of 100 as "mentally retarded". As such, it becomes socially isolating.

I don't want to get into a discussion about "what is IQ, how is it measured, or its legitimacy" but clearly, there are people amongst us with high, medium, and low intellect, regardless of how it's measured.

Different videos have different interpretations, but there are commonalities.
-They don't play the social rules.
-Sigmas walk alone through choice.
-The solitude is a deliberate choice.
-They are idependence and self-reliant.
-they value solitude to centre themselves and to maintain inner peace.
-They have a strong sense of personal boundaries.
-They protect their energy, or personal space, and they enforce these boundaries with a quiet but firm resolve.
-This isn't done with harshness, but a respectful assertiveness.
-They commit to these boundaries, no matter the social pressure around them.
-They aren't driven by the need for attention or recognition.

Looking at this list, it is difficult to assess whether or not a person with an autism condition would be considered a "Sigma" by these definitions, that is, if they are using accurate language.
1. "They don't play the social rules" Is it because they are making that choice or is it because they don't have a full grasp of all the social, cultural, and communication nuances?
2. "Sigmas walk alone through choice" Is it a choice because they have finally given up on trying to fit in, or is it because of the isolation of having a higher intelligence, or is it out of social anxiety, etc.?
3. "They are independent and self-reliant" Is it because they are socially isolated for one reason or another?

We could go on here, but the point being that by this language, a person on the autism spectrum certainly could check all these boxes. Personally, I check most of them.

Another question: Is someone on the autism spectrum more likely to be a Sigma? Perhaps the personality profile of a Sigma is consistent with someone with high-intellect ASD? Just throwing that one out there.

As is my wont, I looked to nature for insight. My first thought was to consider if chimps our closest relatives have sigmas ? But then I decided to go back even earlier and wondered if ameobas have sigmas, or even such conversations. But then I stumbled upon the many articles about the alarming rise and spread of flesh and brain eating ameobas.

brain.jpg

And I am not so interested in the sigma thing atm.

;)

If people with ASD don't want to socialize, what is the purpose of this forum. 🤔

If people with ASD don't want to socialize, what is the purpose of this forum. 🤔

Limited, controlled interaction with people who are (mostly all) on the spectrum. It's sort of a safe-zone for a lot of us that the real world would kind of reject, plus it's nice to talk to others on the spectrum on purpose :)

I think more autistic people would be willing to socialize in autism-safe places, where they don't get told "there's nothing wrong with you" 800 times in the process by neurotypicals. I might be wrong though

New Threads

Top Bottom