• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

There is no shame in feeling shame about having autism

Generally, in a neurological context, I see "normal" as people who:-

- Had no social, emotional or intellectual delays in early childhood development, or if they did they caught up with their peers before it became "too late" (as in late enough to be noticed). Environmental factors, such as bad parenting or being isolated from the right environment to learn important skills, is a different cause than the child actually being born with a neurological condition or disability

- Are normal-functioning adults (mentally), and aren't diagnosed, or undiagnosed, with any neurological disorder/condition/disability that affected their development as children or affect their functioning to some extent as adults

Things get confusing when an NT has trouble functioning due to loss of a loved one, but that doesn't really count as a person being abnormal, it's just grieving, which can cause depression or anxiety in otherwise "normal" people. NT people with depression or anxiety are generally still NTs, as anxiety and depression are so common among humans that if we labelled everyone with those conditions as non-NT then the majority of humankind would probably fall into the non-NT category.

Although there are so many disorders and disabilities out there, the majority of humankind are NTs. But NT Vs ND is not a binary thing. It's not like "99% of the population are NTs". People with Downs syndrome also fit the ND category too, also people with intellectual disabilities. But those aren't often discussed and I'd like to discuss them but I'm scared I'll inadvertently offend people here if I did.

I respect people on the spectrum who prefer to
be "atypical" compared to NTs, or who feel they are "atypical" compared to NTs, but I don't appreciate people on the spectrum lecturing to me not to think I'm normal and that everybody in the world are normal except people on the autism spectrum (not saying you said that or anything, just speaking in general).

My husband believes a "normal human" means humans who don't hurt or kill other humans or animals, or don't molest children or rape adults, and I agree with him there. The majority of humans just instinctively don't do those things. So that makes me normal in itself. But many autistics believe that normal only means being able to read body language. 😂
I have never met a "normal person" in my entire life. :cool:

i think 'normal' is just a way of saying things, like Neuro 'typical' i mean in typical you could say is 'normal', in the 'norm' i don't find it offensive.
I always try to think in terms of "Typical" and "Non-Typical" rather than "Normal".

New Threads

Top Bottom