• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you cooked?

I made Icelandic Rye Bread this morning. It's dense and mildly sweet, good with pickled things, smoked salmon, cream cheese, etc.

3 cups organic medium rye flour
1-1/4 tsp Kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and stir to combine everything.
Pour the batter into a small lightly greased loaf pan and smooth out the top so it is even.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove from oven, remove from the loaf pan, and put the bread loaf on a cooling rack.
Cool completely before slicing thinly and serving with butter or your favorite savory toppings.

It is very easy and tasty.

I made Icelandic Rye Bread this morning. It's dense and mildly sweet, good with pickled things, smoked salmon, cream cheese, etc.

3 cups organic medium rye flour
1-1/4 tsp Kosher salt
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup molasses

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk together all the wet ingredients.
Pour the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients and stir to combine everything.
Pour the batter into a small lightly greased loaf pan and smooth out the top so it is even.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, until golden brown.
Remove from oven, remove from the loaf pan, and put the bread loaf on a cooling rack.
Cool completely before slicing thinly and serving with butter or your favorite savory toppings.

It is very easy and tasty.
Mmmm I haven't baked bread in a good long while. We're out of bread. I might just make this.

Does it not need kneading? I see whisk, but not knead.

Mmmm I haven't baked bread in a good long while. We're out of bread. I might just make this.

Does it not need kneading? I see whisk, but not knead.

No kneading needed. It's a quick bread, not a yeast bread. The baking soda and baking powder, along with the buttermilk, makes it rise while it bakes in the oven.

I make yeast breads every week, mostly French baguettes which do require kneading to develop the gluten, and a handy "no knead white sandwich bread" recipe that is very easy.

I have a stand mixer with a dough hook to do the kneading for me.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom