• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What was the last thing you cooked?

You could cook some onions and bell peppers to go with that. Not sure if you can grill them on the same cooking device but it sounds like you could do it in the oil left behind after you cook the sausages. Eat it on a bun!
I've got the big old fry pan out as well, egg and cheese toasted sandwiches, etc. Can't do those in the sandwich toaster. But gas stoves are illegal here now and cooking on an old electric stove really sucks. It takes so long for them to heat up, where as the sandwich toaster will do frozen sausages in under 5 minutes.

I tend to cook all sorts of things in all sorts of ways but I'm not a big one for following convention, or for eating a lot of rabbit food.

I've got the big old fry pan out as well, egg and cheese toasted sandwiches, etc. Can't do those in the sandwich toaster. But gas stoves are illegal here now and cooking on an old electric stove really sucks. It takes so long for them to heat up, where as the sandwich toaster will do frozen sausages in under 5 minutes.

I tend to cook all sorts of things in all sorts of ways but I'm not a big one for following convention, or for eating a lot of rabbit food.
Gas stoves are illegal?? What about out in the country? Can people use big propane tanks for cooking?

Gas stoves are illegal?? What about out in the country? Can people use big propane tanks for cooking?
Yes, you can still use propane in rural areas, but gas is being phased out in the cities. No new gas installations are allowed and existing homes have until 2030 to change over before the city gas supply gets cut off. Part of our emissions scheme.

I've had a meatball fixation lately.

I have a meatball soup recipe that uses a pound of ground chicken or turkey, half a cup of crumbled feta cheese, half a cup of rolled oats or Panko breadcrumbs, and salt and pepper to make the meatballs. I brown the balls in a little neutral oil like avocado oil and set them aside while I cook some onion, garlic and red pepper flakes in the same pot, then return the balls to the pot and add 4 cups of chicken stock, zest of a lemon, and simmer until meatballs are completely cooked. Stir up the fond from the bottom of the pot to get that good flavor. Add 4 cups of fresh spinach and simmer just a few minutes till it wilts. Serve with lemon wedges and fresh basil. It's one of my favorite soups - lemony, low fat, filling.
I read feta, and instantly exclaimed out loud "Oh yum!"

Yes, you can still use propane in rural areas, but gas is being phased out in the cities. No new gas installations are allowed and existing homes have until 2030 to change over before the city gas supply gets cut off. Part of our emissions scheme.
I love natural gas appliances. The way fire cooks food, it can't be beat. And a nice clean natural gas fireplace is so lovely to sit by on a winter's day. If you need to rush out the door, it's turned off with a flick of a switch.

I have been to a couple houses that used the old gas lamps. Those were neat.

I love natural gas appliances.
I lived in a few places that were on town gas and it was great. It really was so quick and convenient and it was a lot cheaper than electricity too, especially for heating.

But that world is ending and a new one is starting. We've also started a scheme to end coal and gas exports in coming years, at the moment we're one of the world's biggest suppliers. All part of the greenhouse gas emissions scheme. Electric vehicles are still not at a stage where they are a completely feasible solution for us so we have to find other ways of cutting emissions instead.

A quote from one of the heads of OPEC many years ago - "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones and the oil age won't end because we ran out of oil. It will end because we found something better."

Last edited:
Wild Crab Apple Crisp - Gluten Free

Line a 9 inch round cake pan with parchment.

Peel and chop six apples. Drop in the cake pan.

Combine 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 tsp ginger. Sprinkle over the apples.

Combine 1/4 cup water with 2 T kombucha (or lemon juice). Pour over the sugar so it gets muddy on the apples.

Combine 1 cup flour (I used gluten free, but regular flour works too), 1 t salt, and 1 stick of melted butter until it's all wet and crumbly. Sprinkle over the apple mix, until it's all covered. Push down on the dough a little.

Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes.

I think @Outdated may have slightly overstated the position. The ACT, South Australia and Victoria have banned connection of new houses to gas. However, not too far from me it is still possible to buy gas stoves and cooktops: https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/cooking-and-dishwashers/cooktops/gas-cooktops
A gas main runs past my house, but I am not connected to it. I chose instead to install an electric induction cooktop. It gets a pot of water boiling in less than 60 seconds, and oil smoking hot in the pan in half that.

I made a snack bowl for supper. Raisins, cashews, almonds, carrots from my garden, apple, roll, cheese, and a yogurt drink.
IMG_20241002_193125114.jpg

Yes, we called those Apple Betty, @Yeshuasdaughter where l came from, quite delicious. l have given up sugar with my partner due to his sugar issues. But l made protein yogurt banana shakes for us. He likes meat, and l eat more vegetarian, so yesterday was Coney Island hotdog stuffed with cheese, bacon, raw onions and chili beans on the side for him, and a bean, salsa omelet for me.

I love natural gas appliances. The way fire cooks food, it can't be beat. And a nice clean natural gas fireplace is so lovely to sit by on a winter's day. If you need to rush out the door, it's turned off with a flick of a switch.

I have been to a couple houses that used the old gas lamps. Those were neat.

The last apartment complex I lived in when in California was the first and only one I ever enjoyed having gas stoves. Agreed, much better heating compared to electrical stoves.

Also a deadly, but common hazard in a multi-unit complex. But cooking...I miss that, fire hazard or not. Heat dispersed so evenly, regardless of utensils used.

Last edited:
Tomato soup and purslane. (I had to look that up, it is a very common to find vegetable here)

Right now, on the countertop, I'm preparing a batch of Hibiscus, Lavender, Ginger Kombucha.

I am also in the process of making Farmer Cheese, curded with Kombucha instead of vinegar. Pink salt on top, after the whey is strained out.

It is a very soft cheese, somewhere between cream cheese and cottage cheese.

A beautiful texture, great for sauces, or as a spread. The flavor is sort of like Monterrey Jack, but brighter. The kombucha gifting the cheese the slightest brie-like fermented complexity. Like a fine wine.

One gallon of whole milk will make 2 pounds of cheese.

The tangy, probiotic whey can be used in bread making, to wash/condition hair, or in beverages or sauces.

I didn't exactly "cook," but I ground horseradish roots to make a horseradish condiment.

If anybody ever tries this in a blender, don't lean over and look into the blender.

I did.

I can breathe again, but my eyes are still gushing streams of water.

On the up side, my sinuses haven't been this clear since last time I did this.

I didn't exactly "cook," but I ground horseradish roots to make a horseradish condiment.

If anybody ever tries this in a blender, don't lean over and look into the blender.

I did.

I can breathe again, but my eyes are still gushing streams of water.

On the up side, my sinuses haven't been this clear since last time I did this.
why not steam or bake, and then mash the horseradish root?

New Threads

Top Bottom