• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being annoying and autism

Agreed. It's why I have such a device similar to this on my nightstand. A clock radio with multiple ambient sounds to help me sleep. Along with 10mg of OTC Melatonin.

https://www.amazon.com/Projection-Relaxing-Multi-Alarm-Nightlight-SoundSpa/dp/B00EW1QIJU
Nice! Thanks, will look into that. I had something similar about 10 years ago, though that looked like a device from the 80s. It also had a bunch of built-in sounds. I've been using an app on my phone for the past 5 years or so.

Some people think I'm annoying. I think that has led to me being self conscious about possibly being annoying at other times. I don't think I really know how to mask successfully. When I am myself a lot of people find me annoying, but when I stay quiet to avoid being annoying or because I am uncomfortable in the current situation or unsure how to respond, then many think I'm creepy. Oh, well.🤷🏼‍♀️

Guilty as charged...and most of my life. Yet I suspect many of us here in this community share similar sentiments.

Nice! Thanks, will look into that. I had something similar about 10 years ago, though that looked like a device from the 80s. It also had a bunch of built-in sounds. I've been using an app on my phone for the past 5 years or so.
I wouldn't be without it, except in the summer when I depend on a powerful fan blowing all night. Not just for the cooler airflow, but especially for the white noise it delivers.

It's cooling off now for the fall, and I'm back to sleeping with the sound of a gentle rain. :cool:

I wouldn't be without it, except in the summer when I depend on a powerful fan blowing all night. Not just for the cooler airflow, but especially for the white noise it delivers.

It's cooling off now for the fall, and I'm back to sleeping with the sound of a gentle rain. :cool:
Same here! Fans are nice for cooling off, drowning out all other sounds AND any mosquitoes that may have snuck in.

I've been called creepy more times than I can count.

I even remember a high school classmate telling me (online, after we had already graduated) she thinks I'm sketchy and gross. And this was a classmate who had always been polite to me in high school.
only now that i'm looking back i'm realizing how often that's been the case. It's interesting cause for some of those times it was just me being silent most of the time.

I do like some constant sounds like white noise, heavy rain, etc. Really helps me (get to) sleep.
Nothing better than a heavy rain.
I open the window to let the sound in.

I do like thunderstorms, but the dogs hate it, so it is difficult to enjoy it when they are anxious.

Nothing better than a heavy rain.
I open the window to let the sound in.

I do like thunderstorms, but the dogs hate it, so it is difficult to enjoy it when they are anxious.
I like to go out on the porch when it rains. In the summer, if it's not thundering, I even like to walk out in the rain.

Agreed. It's why I have such a device similar to this on my nightstand. A clock radio with multiple ambient sounds to help me sleep. Along with 10mg of OTC Melatonin.
I used to have a youtube video with rain sounds running in the background at night.
I forgot about that.
My self-inflicted insomnia is pretty bad, atm.
I'll try it again tonight.

I like to go out on the porch when it rains. In the summer, if it's not thundering, I even like to walk out in the rain.
I do that with my front porch, also.
I don't walk in the rain because I have 3 dragons to take with me everywhere I can, but the 4 of us do get into the car and drive around.

Damn, I love the rain.
Primordial instinct at work in my case, I guess.
Water=life.

bearded dragon lizard GIF
When you refer to dragons, are you talking about these or something similar?

I used to have a youtube video with rain sounds running in the background at night.
I forgot about that.
My self-inflicted insomnia is pretty bad, atm.
I'll try it again tonight.

I have a terrible time sleeping in relative silence. :(

I have a terrible time sleeping in relative silence. :(
Kinda the opposite here. I can't sleep if music or TV or anything like that is on. Rainfall is usually fine though.

When you refer to dragons, are you talking about these or something similar?
Afraid not. lol

My avatar is of John Snow from "The Game of Thrones".
You probably know that series with the Dragons.
I channel that character from time to time.
I have always enjoyed role-playing.

"Winter is coming, my friend." :cool:

One of my favourite characters I created decades ago was called Dan Coyote (Don Quixote), btw.

My dragons look more like this:
the messengers cute dog GIF

No, I am not familiar with it. As a matter of fact, I originally thought that your avatar was a picture of yourself.

I don't typically watch a wide variety of shows. I mostly just obsess over the same 4 or 5 on rotation for for like 5+ years straight, finally add a new one for about a year maybe and then cycle back to a previous one.

I don't typically watch a wide variety of shows. I mostly just obsess over the same 4 or 5 on rotation for for like 5+ years straight, finally add a new one for about a year maybe and then cycle back to a previous one.
Ironically, looking back I think that at least 80% of my favorite fictional characters to watch over and over have been autistic coded even though most of them are not actually referred to as such on the shows.

New Threads

Top Bottom