• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I Remembered Why I Don’t Tell People I’m Autistic…

I told a few people, like doctors and some friends and family members.
Curiously, my friends weren't really surprised. My family members are a bit on the wall about it.

But I won't hide it.
I finally have a reason for my weirdness, my feelings of not belonging. I don't expect to be well accepted or believed, it's their problem if they want to think ill of me, not mine.
I'll tell those who should know. How they accept it it's up to them.

I'm autistic! Deal with it or get lost!

In addition to the issue with excessive washing when exposed to certain types of bacteria, I often feel the need to count to a certain number on repeat while waiting. I feel the need to check locks at least twice. While generally my room is not very neat, if something is mostly organized, it bothers me if one or two items are not aligned "correctly. " Things like dinner plates are supposed to sit in a certain order and be filled in a certain order. These are all reasons why I think that I probably have ocd but if I mention it the professionals just give me this look and it goes nowhere. They don't know about most of this, but they never seem to want to discuss the idea for it to be convenient to mention. They are aware of the germ part and the fact that I felt the need to wash my hands 7 times in a row if I touched certain things. I have actually improved there by the way. Now I usually only wash them 4 times.

I feel the need to check locks at least twice. While generally my room is not very neat, if something is mostly organized, it bothers me if one or two items are not aligned "correctly. " Things like dinner plates are supposed to sit in a certain order and be filled in a certain order.
I check to see if the doors are locked, to see if my keys are where they should be, to see if things are properly plugged in, etc. etc. etc. 🙈

If I'm having to wait somewhere, I'll find anything that forms "sets" of 3x3. It has to be 3x3. Other sets don't work, aren't right 🙈

I check to see if the doors are locked, to see if my keys are where they should be, to see if things are properly plugged in, etc. etc. etc. 🙈
So do I; it's normal, intelligent behavior! I'm kidding - we know that you mean that it's done obsessively, more times than necessary. Probably relating to (undiagnosed) ADHD, I do the opposite - not checking the required boxes and forgetting things.

So do I; it's normal, intelligent behavior! I'm kidding - we know that you mean that it's done obsessively, more times than necessary. Probably relating to (undiagnosed) ADHD, I do the opposite - not checking the required boxes and forgetting things.
Funnily enough, I do both 🙈
I check and recheck things, and still managed to get locked out of my house on more than one occasion 😅

New Threads

Top Bottom