• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you are on the autistic spectrum, are you or have you been in a romantic relationship?

If you are on the autistic spectrum, are you or have you been in a romantic relationship?

• Yes.

Votes: 54 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 16 22.9%

• Total voters
I am 100% sure that any specifics would lead to an unconstructive discussion, but @Neonatal RRT and @Outdated have both made a lot of observations in a way better than I can and anyone serious about understanding the gap ca look up their prior posts.
Rather than hunting for their posts, could you tell us what they have said?

Rather than hunting for their posts, could you tell us what they have said?
C'mon, man, just let it go. It looks like you're itching for the fight they're trying to avoid.
No disrespect intended.

P.S. - I tend to like your posts in general, Jonn. I just think the point's already been made.

Last edited:
C'mon, man, just let it go. It looks like you're itching for the fight they're trying to avoid.
No disrespect intended.

P.S. - I tend to like your posts in general, Jonn. I just think the point's already been made.
Yes, I am looking for a fight with jsilver.
She and I are mortal enemies for eternity and beyond.
She is my ultimate nemesis. <evil grin> 😈

You are unaware that I consider jsilver a friend.
I like the way she thinks, and apparently we are almost always on the same page.
I respect her highly.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to say this publicly. :cool:

And, pertinent to both this particular conversation and topic at hand, this is why @Jonn is beloved :)

Positivity goes a long way. (A hint here!)

Sorry if I misinterpreted.

Edited to add: Dang, I'm usually pretty good at online communication, but I guess I missed some subtleties in this discussion. It honestly felt like things were getting a little combative in here and I wanted to cool things down and enhance peace.
I keep learning that I understand less than I thought I did.

Last edited:
i'm sure this does annoy and bother lots of people, that is, if they are single, and then their friends or family ask them if they have a boyfriend/girlfriend, ask them if they are dating or seeing someone, and it understandably, makes the single person upset because it reminds them that they are single, i know that would annoy or irritate me a lot, reminds me, i'll never forget when i was asked that question by one of my former middle school friends.

Me and him were talking on facebook about memories from middle school and later high school, if we remeber certain moments and times, teachers/staff members, fellow students, as we were talking about that, he then all of sudden, changes the topic of discussion, then says to me "So no girlfriend for you Andrew? whats up with you?".

Boy i was angry when he asked me that, i then told him that i was single and had lied about being single for a couple of years now, because obviously i didn't want to disclose that i had never had a GF before, then he further irritated me by saying "so you had girlfriends before?".

I then said, yes, and then he further asks "what happend, didn't work out?", understandably i got more angry and i said to him "why are you asking me these questions and why are you curious?", and then he says "because i never seen you with one".

Looking back on that, i feel it has led to a mindset and mentality change for me, i feel that, whenever i'm having a discussion or conversation with guys, men, socializing, me personally, i will always refrain from asking men questions like that, because i don't want to risk making them uncomfortable if they are single and not liking it as well.

The only time i will ask a person a question like that, is if i'm getting to know a woman and obviously i would have to ask her if she has a boyfriend or not, so that way i can go about trying to pursue a relationship with her.

But i will always refrain from asking men questions like that, i will only let them bring up that topic if they choose to.

Reminds me, the following year after that discussion, that was when i finally had a breakthough or milestone in my dating life, that was when i finally got a second date with a woman, which led to a 4-month situationship, we were not officially exclusive, and we never met each others parents or families, but it was a relationship of some sort. I met her through online dating.

She was better than my later partner, because she didn't have any issues or problems with sex or physical intimacy.

The other partner, i'm very reluctant to call her an ex-girlfriend.

Last edited:
Positivity goes a long way. (A hint here!)
Positivity goes a long way... 🤔

Lightbulb Mamsloth GIF by MAM Baby

Well, now that my name has been brought into this discussion, rather late, I might add. ;)

@Jonn, I will first preface this with I have no full comprehension of what some men now-a-days are going through when it comes to dating and finding that special person who will be your life partner. I am Gen X, so it was a totally different world with regards to this topic. We simply had to meet people face-to-face and take our chances with multiple rejections. It happened so many times that we (most young men) never gave it much thought and quickly moved onto our next opportunity. It was what it was. That said, my autism experience (I didn't know I was autistic) was somewhat different in that my own insecurities led me down the path to athletics, football, weightlifting, etc. I was a very lean, very muscular guy. I also had the intellect for school and was always labelled the "smart guy". I was also rather shy and awkward around girls. However, because I was also the strongest athlete in the school, and everyone knew it, I had the respect of others and a level of confidence in myself. I didn't have to deal with bullies. So, I suspect, that I attracted a certain kind of girl. That is, the kind of girl that was attracted to the "strong silent type". I always had a girl or girls interested in me in high school, but if there was any failing on my part, was the social aspect that once we actually went out on a date, I just didn't have the conversational and social skills to keep her interested. When I went off to the university, it was my wife that did the initiation and had to grab my attention because I was so overwhelmed with the environment that I really didn't know what to do with myself except study and workout at the field house. I wasn't pursuing anyone, even while immersed in a mass of potentially available young women. So, I tend to think that she found me and did all the initiation, for I was pretty much clueless during that time. Her father and brothers, all ended up being engineers. Myself, my father, my brother, all of a mechanical, engineering mindset. Our two sons, engineers. My wife was attracted to a "type".

I am a rather positive and confident person, almost to a fault. I do deal with an underlying depression and have my ups and downs. I am not immune to this aspect of the autism experience. My parents instilled in me a sense of personal responsibility. If bad things happened, it was at the very least, partially my fault. If I needed anything, I had to get it. Don't rely upon others. If you have dreams and long-term goals, and its important enough, figure out your path and do it. No one plans to fail, but many fail to plan. I wake up with some purpose. What am I going to do this day? So, when it comes to maintaining a relationship, now some 40 years, it comes down to a combination of things.

1. Learning how to communicate with each other. Direct vs. indirect. Sort it out. My "love language" is different than hers. Each need to learn to recognize it. Never assume. If you don't know, then ask. Express some intellectual curiosity.
2. Be responsible. Don't spend money you don't have. If you don't have and need, then you do what is needed to get it. If you have a wife and children that are in need and depending upon you, you are responsible for that. Get to it. Feelings are irrelevant when it comes to this.
3. Do not be afraid of mistakes and failures. They will happen. Learning experiences. You gain wisdom. It's a real character builder getting knocked down. The key here is to get your butt back up, brush it off, and keep moving forward. This happens in life and in relationships.
4. No one wants to be around a "negative Nancy". This pushes people away. If you are an autistic that is dealing with a lot of underlying anger and frustration issues, others will read this and just steer clear of you to begin with. They will never give you the opportunity to meet them in the first place.
5. Make yourself available to people. If you are self-isolating for one reason or another, no one can find you. If you do manage to find someone, they don't want to be around someone who hides away from people. This is often a deal breaker.
6. This is the brutal reality. Not everyone gets to mate. Not everyone has something that someone wants. I heard a quote, and I don't know if this is accurate, but "10% of the men get 90% of the women". Which means a lot of women are sharing the same man, and there are a lot men that will never have a woman. Not a good situation. There is absolutely nothing that is fair, equitable, or equal when it comes to this. If you dig down deep and ask yourself the difficult questions, "Why would anyone want me?" "What do I bring to the relationship that someone would want?" If you can honestly come up with a list of things that answer those questions, you're in a pretty good position. If you can't, then is there anything that would change that? There's being true to yourself, and then there are habits you have that might be adaptable and have the ability to change for the better. Look in the mirror, imagine a life partner that is willing to accept you for who you are. If this seems a bit far-fetched, then you either have to accept that reality, or make some changes in your life.

With regards to dating now-a-days, I have seen this toxic transition occur within the feminist movement. My wife is an "old school" feminist, all for independence and doing things herself. She is successful in her own right, and frankly, doesn't "need" me at all. The door is open for her to leave, but she makes a conscious decision to stay. This is how I know she loves me. However, the past 20-30 years, especially with the introduction of social media, many young women have become rather brainwashed, thinking that somehow they know men and what they want, when in fact, they are completely delusional and being reinforced with a lot of harmful disinformation. It has spread like wildfire. Female psychologists have zero idea and are simply talking out their rear end, spreading horribly wrong information about men. Then women are getting angry and frustrated when they can't "find a good man", but at the same time get put off by "a good man" when they finally encounter one. Some women have figured out, and I've heard this more than once, "There are men you have sex with, and there are men you marry." The toxic, but exciting "bad boy" versus the kind and respectable "good man". All one has to do is go onto YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, etc. and view some of these delusional women, I can see where men are simply fed up and would rather abstain from all the toxicity. Women tend to be emotional and social creatures. It's difficult to deal with for any man, but especially if you have an autism condition. If the woman has children, her hormones change, and she becomes a different person. I've seen it quite literally thousands of times with the nurses at work, the "before children" and the "after children" persona. I call it "mom brain", and her focus turns away from the man, to her children. "Who is this woman and where is my wife?" Everything revolves around the children. It's a risky time in any relationship. She becomes critical of the man, and becomes unhappy. Nothing he does meets her wants. She blames him for her unhappiness, when in fact, it is her. He didn't change. He might even seek an affair with another woman because of her. She literally drove him into the arms of another woman. It's not the man, it's her, but she doesn't realize it until the divorce, which financially and emotionally devastates the man. Now she's an unhappy single mom, and all he's worked for in life has been destroyed. That's better (sarcasm). Let's say you survive that, then later, in her 40's, 50's, and 60's hormones change again, and her sex drive drops even further, and all you are left with is a life partner that is your best friend, unless of course, she finds herself unhappy, and wants a divorce. Now, you are in you're at the end of your working years, looking forward towards retirement, you've built up a fortune in your retirement accounts, and then she completely wipes you out, taking everything including your purpose to live, a man will never recover from this, leaving him destitute for the rest of his life, hence the high suicide rate. So, yeah, the risks involved with entering a relationship with a woman in 2024 are almost prohibitive. The modern, toxic version of the feminist movement has created a lot of unhappy men and women, but ironically, more unhappy women. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Make sure you have a good prenuptial agreement now-a-days. If you're a lucky survivor, like me, you've got a story to tell.

I have one son that is married, but will likely never have children, in part, because his wife has a lucrative and stimulating career, a leader in her engineering firm, PhD. Extremely high IQ. She's literally too intelligent to be a mother, a care giver of children. It would destroy her and her career. Quite the conundrum. BTW, in my mind, you're not really a parent if you let others raise your kids. You really can't have it both ways and expect a good outcome. I have another son that is a university professor specializing in biomedical engineering, doing research for biotech companies. He is an attractive, single man with a great income that has expressed absolutely zero interest in a relationship with a woman, even while being quite heterosexual. Women, nice to look at, but not willing to take the risk. As disappointed my wife and I are that our family line will end, I understand.

Last edited:
What pisses me off about this thread and about everyone is that people say that it's always my fault all my life that I am single. Like I am not doing enough. I took so much medication I think it did permanent physical damage to my body appearance but no one cares. I tried exercising but I can never fix it.

I busted my ass for years socialize. 5 years of social hell. I got so much ostracizing and rejection from women it pain ended up going on antipsychotic medication now I'm back on Seroquel again because of what that stupid woman Madison did to me. But no blame my ass blame my damn autism but no everyone else gets blessed even with autism damn relationship to all my damn fault changing churches oh I'm a selfish jerk all this crap everything and now I'm going to gain all my weight back because I'm back on Seroquel but don't give a damn about me or anything else.

What pisses me off about this thread and about everyone is that people say that it's always my fault all my life that I am single. Like I am not doing enough. I took so much medication I think it did permanent physical damage to my body appearance but no one cares. I tried exercising but I can never fix it.

I busted my ass for years socialize. 5 years of social hell. I got so much ostracizing and rejection from women it pain ended up going on antipsychotic medication now I'm back on Seroquel again because of what that stupid woman Madison did to me. But no blame my ass blame my damn autism but no everyone else gets blessed even with autism damn relationship to all my damn fault changing churches oh I'm a selfish jerk all this crap everything and now I'm going to gain all my weight back because I'm back on Seroquel but don't give a damn about me or anything else.
>no one gives a damn about me
>has had multiple people reach out to help you offline and online.

Seriously?

I busted my ass for years socialize.

We exist within a world where the vast majority of humans socialize naturally. But we don't. The harder we try to socialize, the more absurd we appear to most people. And that it simply turns them off.

The cold truth of it all is that in essence to succeed, you cannot "bust your ass" trying. Otherwise you fail. It must somehow come naturally, in as much as is possible. And in the event one finds this impossible, perhaps then they should consider refraining from socialization altogether.

I've been on both sides of this dynamic, with limited social successes and plenty of social failures. It's just a reality that many of us must live with, for better or worse and without any guarantees.

After I left college I ended up renting out rooms in a old 3 story house close to down town Toronto my partners and I kept the first floor to ourselves My bed room was on this floor. To socialize I would go upstairs as it had a large sun room. got to know m checking out a band playing my cousin a musician had recently moved out of the house and she had his former room I liked watching bands play at the bars, did she want to join me. she said yes. Before I knew it I had a girlfriend. She was the second lady I asked the first one tuned me down both tenants and friends. Second is my wife the first one is a good friend.

Last edited:
Well, now that my name has been brought into this discussion, rather late, I might add. ;)

@Jonn, I will first preface this with I have no full comprehension of what some men now-a-days are going through when it comes to dating and finding that special person who will be your life partner. I am Gen X, so it was a totally different world with regards to this topic. We simply had to meet people face-to-face and take our chances with multiple rejections. It happened so many times that we (most young men) never gave it much thought and quickly moved onto our next opportunity. It was what it was. That said, my autism experience (I didn't know I was autistic) was somewhat different in that my own insecurities led me down the path to athletics, football, weightlifting, etc. I was a very lean, very muscular guy. I also had the intellect for school and was always labelled the "smart guy". I was also rather shy and awkward around girls. However, because I was also the strongest athlete in the school, and everyone knew it, I had the respect of others and a level of confidence in myself. I didn't have to deal with bullies. So, I suspect, that I attracted a certain kind of girl. That is, the kind of girl that was attracted to the "strong silent type". I always had a girl or girls interested in me in high school, but if there was any failing on my part, was the social aspect that once we actually went out on a date, I just didn't have the conversational and social skills to keep her interested. When I went off to the university, it was my wife that did the initiation and had to grab my attention because I was so overwhelmed with the environment that I really didn't know what to do with myself except study and workout at the field house. I wasn't pursuing anyone, even while immersed in a mass of potentially available young women. So, I tend to think that she found me and did all the initiation, for I was pretty much clueless during that time. Her father and brothers, all ended up being engineers. Myself, my father, my brother, all of a mechanical, engineering mindset. Our two sons, engineers. My wife was attracted to a "type".

I am a rather positive and confident person, almost to a fault. I do deal with an underlying depression and have my ups and downs. I am not immune to this aspect of the autism experience. My parents instilled in me a sense of personal responsibility. If bad things happened, it was at the very least, partially my fault. If I needed anything, I had to get it. Don't rely upon others. If you have dreams and long-term goals, and its important enough, figure out your path and do it. No one plans to fail, but many fail to plan. I wake up with some purpose. What am I going to do this day? So, when it comes to maintaining a relationship, now some 40 years, it comes down to a combination of things.

1. Learning how to communicate with each other. Direct vs. indirect. Sort it out. My "love language" is different than hers. Each need to learn to recognize it. Never assume. If you don't know, then ask. Express some intellectual curiosity.
2. Be responsible. Don't spend money you don't have. If you don't have and need, then you do what is needed to get it. If you have a wife and children that are in need and depending upon you, you are responsible for that. Get to it. Feelings are irrelevant when it comes to this.
3. Do not be afraid of mistakes and failures. They will happen. Learning experiences. You gain wisdom. It's a real character builder getting knocked down. The key here is to get your butt back up, brush it off, and keep moving forward. This happens in life and in relationships.
4. No one wants to be around a "negative Nancy". This pushes people away. If you are an autistic that is dealing with a lot of underlying anger and frustration issues, others will read this and just steer clear of you to begin with. They will never give you the opportunity to meet them in the first place.
5. Make yourself available to people. If you are self-isolating for one reason or another, no one can find you. If you do manage to find someone, they don't want to be around someone who hides away from people. This is often a deal breaker.
6. This is the brutal reality. Not everyone gets to mate. Not everyone has something that someone wants. I heard a quote, and I don't know if this is accurate, but "10% of the men get 90% of the women". Which means a lot of women are sharing the same man, and there are a lot men that will never have a woman. Not a good situation. If you dig down deep and ask yourself the difficult questions, "Why would anyone want me?" "What do I bring to the relationship that someone would want?" If you can honestly come up with a list of things that answer those questions, you're in a pretty good position. If you can't, then is there anything that would change that? There's being true to yourself, and then there are habits you have that might be adaptable and have the ability to change for the better.

With regards to dating now-a-days, I have seen this toxic transition occur within the feminist movement. My wife is an "old school" feminist, all for independence and doing things herself. She is successful in her own right, and frankly, doesn't "need" me at all. The door is open for her to leave, but she makes a conscious decision to stay. This is how I know she loves me. However, the past 20-30 years, especially with the introduction of social media, many young women have become rather brainwashed, thinking that somehow they know men and what they want, when in fact, they are completely delusional and being reinforced with a lot of harmful disinformation. It has spread like wildfire. Female psychologists have zero idea and are simply talking out their rear end, spreading horribly wrong information about men. Then women are getting angry and frustrated when they can't "find a good man", but at the same time get put off by "a good man" when they finally encounter one. Some women have figured out, and I've heard this more than once, "There are men you have sex with, and there are men you marry." The toxic, but exciting "bad boy" versus the kind and respectable "good man". All one has to do is go onto YouTube, Instagram, TikTok, etc. and view some of these delusional women, I can see where men are simply fed up and would rather abstain from all the toxicity. Women tend to be emotional and social creatures. It's difficult to deal with for any man, but especially if you have an autism condition. If the woman has children, her hormones change, and she becomes a different person. I call it "mom brain", and her focus turns away from the man, to her children. "Who is this woman and where is my wife?" Everything revolves around the children. It's a risky time in any relationship. She becomes critical of the man, and becomes unhappy. Nothing he does meets her wants. He might even seek an affair with another woman because of her. She literally drove him into the arms of another woman. It's not the man, it's her, but she doesn't realize it until the divorce, which financially and emotionally devastates the man. Now she's an unhappy single mom. That's better (sarcasm). Let's say you survive that, then later, in her 40's and 50's, hormones change again, and her sex drive drops even further, and all you are left with is a life partner that is your best friend, unless of course, she finds herself unhappy, and wants a divorce. Now, you are in your 50's and she completely wipes you out, taking everything including your purpose to live, hence the suicide rate. So, yeah, the risks involved with entering a relationship with a woman in 2024 are almost prohibitive. The modern, toxic version of the feminist movement has created a lot of unhappy men and women, but ironically, more unhappy women. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If you're a lucky survivor, like me, you've got a story to tell.
Wow. Just wow. Your post deserves so much more than just a thumbs-up, but a thumbs-up is all I am able to give you. Excellent distillation (I am also Gen X).

Wow. Just wow. Your post deserves so much more than just a thumbs-up, but a thumbs-up is all I am able to give you. Excellent distillation (I am also Gen X).
Agreed. This is a guy that both men and women want to hang out with. This is a guy who's interesting, who's uplifting, who's done some extraordinary things, who's got a wide range of opinions on a variety of topics.

My own husband is drastically different. But an amazing person in his own way as well, and equally beloved by both genders. Has never lacked for dates, either.

you no longer do yoga?

Most mate pairing in humans is still conducted via mostly unconscious evolutionary scripts which don't abide by modern political sensibilities. (And which tend to trip up we autists)

And rather than learn from and work within those scripts, we are rebelling against them via all means from hormonal to behavioral and both sexes suffer from decreasing happiness and birthrates continue to fall in every nation which is being torn apart by this rebellion.

For example, women look for different traits in men depending on whether they are ovulating or not. But hormonal birth control is messing this up, and once women are "ready" to have a child and stop taking The Pill, they find that they are no longer attracted to the type of man they chose while they had their natural reproductive cycle on long-term pause.

It's only as I move out of reproductive age that my hormones shut up and allow me to see how strongly they direct our lives. We pretend to be able to reshape ourselves in accord with modern desires, but we are still animals, enacting millennia-old scripts written in the heart of every one of our cells.

Last edited:
Most mate pairing in humans is still conducted via mostly unconscious evolutionary scripts which don't abide by modern political sensibilities. (And which tend to trip up we autists)

And rather than learn from and work within those scripts, we are rebelling against them via all means from hormonal to behavioral and both men and both sexes suffer from decreasing happiness and birthrates continue to fall in every nation which is being torn apart by this rebellion.

For example, women look for different traits in men depending on whether they are ovulating or not. But hormonal birth control is messing this up, and once women are "ready" to have a child and stop taking The Pill, they find that they are no longer attracted to the type of man they chose while they had their natural reproductive cycle on long-term pause.

It's only as I move out of reproductive age that my hormones shut up and allow me to see how strongly they direct our lives. We pretend to be able to reshape ourselves in accord with modern desires, but we are still animals, enacting millennia-old scripts written in the heart of every one of our cells.

^ Yes. And, being that we're animals, humans are not immune to the struggle that is mating, pairing, etc. Just as with other animal species, the fact is that some simply do not mate in their lifetimes for any number of reasons. No different for humans. Some humans will never pair, mate, etc. A good thing about being human though is that we have the intellects to be able to choose to enrich our own lives in so many other ways, for those of us who are not successful with dating, relationships, sex, etc.

you no longer do yoga?
No am I am never going to it was a damn complete waste of my time. I am tired of hearing BS stories about peoples damn lives there going there wasting my time all the old farts there in the morning traveling. The damn teachers going on about there husbands and boyfriends and travels. The few young snob women who most of the time were different women of the week ignoring my ass causing more PTSD. I am done, done.

I am actually going back to the gym were most wear headphones ignore everyone and dont BS about everyone else job, travel and damn relationship to my face. Another thing how many damn times do I have to unfollow this thread before it sticks.

New Threads

Top Bottom