• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

Barbie at 50.jpg

Barbie at Fifty.

This surprised me, I did a quick search to find out how many countries use the metric system. It turns out that there's only 3 that don't.

e8b618962fe289d1126641db80ef62d0.jpg

This surprised me, I did a quick search to find out how many countries use the metric system. It turns out that there's only 3 that don't.

View attachment 93370
Oh dear, that's until the world's dumbest little sibling the UK start to go backwards again. We are the only country that's planning on going back to metric. Because "member berries". Just in case anyone was wondering, I'm from the UK, to my continued embarrassment. Sorry guys!

Meanwhile, Canada is stuck using both. A standard sheet of plywood 4 X 8 feet is 19 mm thick.
To be fair we aren't that dissimilar in the UK. I started school kinda as they were phasing out imperial so I think in feet and inches and measure in mm and cm. It's a bit strange I have to say.

I'm a bit all over the place when it comes to measuring liquids as I tend to think in pints or divisions of them. Pint is kinda tangible to me as it's the size of an old school bottle of milk. But I think of a can of soft drink as being 330ml. So I kinda measure some quantities in both.

So when people ask for quantities I may mix and match. Like NASA did once!

Aussies tend to confuse Europeans a bit, we don't use Centimetres. A completely useless measurement. We talk in milimetres or metres. A common paper size for printers is 640 X 1020.

1020 gets pronounced Ten Twenty.

Boeing works in decimal inches - no feet. The US had a Mars lander burn up because one subcontractor was using metric, and another imperial, and nobody noticed. The one that had me confused most of my life is that the volume of a US quart is based on the volume of 32 oz of alcohol, not water. I always thought that Americans were just a bit optimistic about their car economy, using a 32/40 conversion for gallons.

I always thought that Americans were just a bit optimistic about their car economy, using a 32/40 conversion for gallons.
This is because of The Boston Tea Party. The English response was to start selling you "gallons" that were only 7 pints, increasing profits by 12.5% instead of the 10% they originally demanded.

This is because of The Boston Tea Party. The English response was to start selling you "gallons" that were only 7 pints, increasing profits by 12.5% instead of the 10% they originally demanded.
Us again, sorry! I really have no idea why we are so blimmin' pleased with ourselves! :smilecat:

Money talks. Our fight for independence, Eureka Stockade, was a minor scuffle involving about 2 dozen people. Managing a colony on the other side of the world was costing England a fortune and they were glad to see the back of us. Any excuse was good enough and they even encouraged us to form our own government.

New Threads

Top Bottom