• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

The Tangent Thread: "That reminds me of the time...."

The cheat's way to make the toffee part of a banoffee pie is to boil a can of condensed milk for two hours. Nom nom.

The cousin I came back home with asked me if
I'd ever made caramel by boiling an unopened
can of sweetened condensed milk.

I've never liked the taste of milk as a drink, except when it would mix in with sweetened breakfast cereal. Then it tasted nice.

We only had cow milk when I was a child.
My mother let me put vanilla, sugar, and food
coloring in it. That made it more tolerable.

I am very allergic to cow milk, as it turns out.

I did like drinking the sugary leftover milk from
cold cereal, though.

Sometimes my mother made me cornmeal mush
for breakfast. She always said that her father told
her that only [insert racist remark] ate mush.

Then she would smile and laugh and put the mush
in front of me. Nobody else in the family had mush.
Just me.

Good grief.
That sounds like a fairy tale, doesn't it?

One of the things I liked most about bonfire night, as a child, was the mushy peas. They were usually in polystyrene cups and I always had a ton of (not literally) mint sauce with them too :D

Three of my friends live near the Royal Canadian Mint in the southeast part of the city.

People used to scare little kids in Louisiana by saying
that the Police Jury would get them if they were naughty.

I thought the boogey man was what most parents used, though even that might be an urban legend as I don't know anyone who scares their kids like that. But anyway, I was reminded of a book that was popular when I was a kid. It was about a bogeyman called Fungus.

In the song You'll Think Of Me by Keith Urban, he sings the line "take your cap and leave my sweater", but I always hear "take your cat and leave my sweater".

If there was a scary guy whose name was Gus,
and he wanted to have fun scaring me, he'd be
all sweaty and take my cat.

An expression that has not made sense to me is:
"do it up brown." So I looked it up a minute ago.

"DO IT UP BROWN - "Do something well; do it to one's satisfaction. In England the phrase has had the meaning of deceive or take in. Either way, it carries the implication of doing something thoroughly and probably comes from the roasting of meat, yielding a brown color that is the result of thorough cooking. One can see the term in the making in 'Liber Cure Cocorum' " 'Lay hur (the goose) to frye and rost hyr browne.'" From the "Dictionary of Cliches" by James Rogers (Ballantine Books, New York, 1985)
http://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/12/messages/668.html
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/do+up+brown

Thorough cooking is the only way my mum knows. If it's not got the texture of cardboard it's not dead enough yet!

Incidentally, I'm in England and I'd never heard that phrase. Archaic, possibly..?

New Threads

Top Bottom