• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you are on the autistic spectrum, are you or have you been in a romantic relationship?

If you are on the autistic spectrum, are you or have you been in a romantic relationship?

• Yes.

Votes: 53 76.8%
  • No

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters
OP, were being serious or joking about being a bachelor?
If you didn't know, I am over 60, hence the sizable life experience in a capsule of comedic commentary.
I am going to allow my approximate age to be shown publicly, to avoid confusion.

I was being serious.
I am not BF material.
I am a loner, and have been for most of my life.
I find a GF/BF relationship too difficult.

I have just come out of a significant-other relationship and don't want to go though loosing another friend.
I value life long friendships too much.
I am interested in deeper platonic friendships/companionship, but nothing below the belt. :p

Romances are much too complicated for me.
I can barely look after myself, let alone being in a family situation.
It isn't uncommon for others on the spectrum to voice this realisation about themselves.

Do you have any more helpful advice?
Me?
Are you serious?
I am full of it.
Ask anyone. :cool:

Does anyone here have any more helpful advice on this subject? Like article links, etc. Thanks, much appreciated. I know this is about past relationships. Does anyone want to try again?
Ask me in another 20 years. :cool:

I figured that was the case OP, that you were older. I don't ever get romantic feelings for online people. If I offended, you in any way I apologize. You just seem really cool and seem really respected on these boards. Thank you for the advice you have given. You may not want to experience it anymore. But I would still like companionship/friendship that's platonic, and also could become more as in romantic.

Also, thank you to everyone else that has shared their advice and wisdom about romantic relationships. If I have also offended, you in anyway I apologize.

So, yes your advice is much appreciated for me OP, it gives me more perspective, since I am in my early 30s, being 33. I love hearing wisdom advice etc., from people older than me, it gives me more perspective.

yeah, i don't know if i want to bother to try pursuing another relationship because of my failed one which i refuse to call an ex, felt like we were more best friends instead of BF/GF.

If I offended, you in any way I apologize.
I am mortified. :eek:
I can't see how I could ever recover. :p

I might put this in my signature:
"Me, strong like bull. 🐂"

You just seem really cool and seem really respected on these boards.
Kool, yes...:cool:
Respected, not so much.
I got turfed out from the other autistic website I was on.
Some ppl just don't appreciate comedic genius when they see it. :cool:

You may not want to experience it anymore. But I would still like companionship/friendship that's platonic, and also could become more as in romantic.
IMO, this is the best way to go.
I have said that many times, over the years.

Something else I have said numerous times:
"Friends have friends." ;)

Also, thank you to everyone else that has shared their advice and wisdom about romantic relationships. If I have also offended, you in anyway I apologize.
Why would you say that?
You have done nothing that is anywhere near offensive.

So, yes your advice is much appreciated for me OP, it gives me more perspective, since I am in my early 30s, being 33. I love hearing wisdom advice etc., from people older than me, it gives me more perspective.
I see...
Another younger person here.
I know at least four other women on this website very close to your age.
Where were you 20 years ago. ;)
Damn, that age thing creeps up on a person.
BTW, I have never been this old before.
How about you? :p

Yes, I am high on caffeine again.
D'oh!

5 signs you've met your soulmate
  • 01/7Soulmates are like a missing piece to the puzzle of your life. ...
  • 02/7You feel like you've always known them. ...
  • 03/7You feel at home with this person. ...
  • 04/7You have a sense of purpose with them. ...
  • 05/7You have very compatible tastes, interests and life goals. ...
  • 06/7You heal each other. ...
  • 07/7Soulmates.
20 Dec 2023

Isn't that a voluntary occurrence?

Nobody's stealth dosing you, I expect.
It is.
Caffeine and sugar are addictive.

I don't drink real coffee or iced coffee any longer, but I do eat chocolate from time to time.
I binged that day.
No one is perfect, not even me.
Back on the wagon.
:cool:

yeah, one guy i know of with autism, told me he never had sex until 34, it was with a woman he was casually seeing, they never became official, when i asked how does he feel about not having had sex until 34? he says "i'm not proud of it, but it is what it is".

there are 2 women whom i feel could have changed my life for the better permanently if things had gone further or different with them, i never pursued a relationship with them, but i sometimes like to think, my life would have turned out better, thinking about them didn't come back to haunt me until many years later. I never dated these women, but they were woman i think i might have had a chance with.

I've had a constant sex life from a young age. And three relationships. First one from. 13 -15, then 16-37, then 37- to now, 51. I think maybe I'm seen as a bit of a sexy Thang :cool:.
Being female, it can be an asset being quiet (which I'm definitely not anymore, but, I was as a young woman). I've never been married though, and I suspect all three of my relationships were/are with Aspie guys. My now guy friend self identifies as one (and ADHD, like me) and he has incurred a brain injury but like me, is a bit of a retarded genius (I CAN use that word because I, myself am the disabled person I'm joking about), and the more I think about it, the more I think my kid's dad is on the spectrum too. He is VERY narrow focused (restrictive and repetitive behaviours and interests) and emotionally and communicatively challenged.

Last edited:
I've had a constant sex life from a young age. And three relationships. First one from. 13 -15, then 16-37, then 37- to now, 51. I think maybe I'm seen as a bit of a sexy Thang :cool:.
Being female, it can be an asset being quiet (which I'm definitely not anymore, but, I was as a young woman). I've never been married though, and I suspect all three of my relationships were/are with Aspie guys. My now guy friend self identifies as one (and ADHD, like me) and he has incurred a brain injury but like me, is a bit of a retarded genius (I CAN use that word because I, myself am the disabled person I'm joking about), and the more I think about it, the more I think my kid's dad is on the spectrum too. He is VERY narrow focused (restrictive and repetitive behaviours and interests) and emotionally and communicatively challenged.
yup, i sometimes feel i was born the wrong gender

yup, i sometimes feel i was born the wrong gender
Remember though, I was the one to make the first move, particularly with my now relationship. He was the shy Aspie who ran away when women flirted with him (not that he realised they were, for most of his adult life, but just talking to women, he was often pretty awkward and anxious). I was quite persistent, even after he rejected me.
One has to be courageous enough to go after what we want in life.
I also had a performance ",career" from the age of 17, and that is hella terrifying, especially at first when you are learning and not very good.
Courage and persistsnce is essential to get what we want in life.

Remember though, I was the one to make the first move, particularly with my now relationship. He was the shy Aspie who ran away when women flirted with him (not that he realised they were, for most of his adult life, but just talking to women, he was often pretty awkward and anxious). I was quite persistent, even after he rejected me.
One has to be courageous enough to go after what we want in life.
I also had a performance ",career" from the age of 17, and that is hella terrifying, especially at first when you are learning and not very good.
Courage and persistsnce is essential to get what we want in life.
yeah and nature and reality made it out to be that courage is a masculine thing

New Threads

Top Bottom