• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Post something Weird or Random

This is happening in Trollhättan, Sweden right now. A lithium car battery started this fire at a recycling plant and the fire department now says it's impossible to put it out. :oops: They can't stop it.
We've had quite a few of those sorts of fires in Australia too, a few garbage trucks have had to dump their burning loads in the middle of a street, and there's been a couple of fires at recycling plants that we couldn't put out, all we could do was evacuate people down wind and wait for a few days until they burnt themselves out.

What really worries me is the household electricity storage units like the one in the picture below. I complained to the government about these and their dangers 5 years ago. You'd think units mounted on walls would be safe until you consider the fact that these are homes where families are living. Bits of gum nuts flying out from the lawnmower, kids with bikes and balls, pets. These things are going to get knocked around a bit over the years.

Tesla-Powerwall-2-installed.jpg

Lithium's great stuff to have around! Fun for all the family!!

2Li + 2H₂O = H₂ + 2LiOH + Heat

Lithium + water = flammable hydrogen gas + Lithium Hydroxide (which immediately forms a corrosive alkali solution with water) + it's exothermic too (and molten lithium is even more fun!)
What better thing to have in a family home?

What better thing to have in a family home?
The government took my warning seriously, although I imagine others also pointed out the same problem to them. I didn't just complain, I pointed out the features of Sodium Ion batteries. It turns out one of our universities was studying just that and it didn't take much to set up a collaborative enterprise which is now close to becoming commercial, especially after recent breakthrough discoveries.

Sodium-Ion Batteries Australia - Sparc Technologies

I was looking at a map and I noticed two strange blue-ish streaks and something that looked like a bright light in the forest.

map.jpg

Turned out it's a plane. But I do wonder why there is a bright rainbow-colored plane shape behind it. 🤔

map2.jpg

Well, Silent Hill: Townfall is being made by No Code, who are in Glasgow, Scotland. So maybe the game is safe, since Annapurna Interactive could just be replaced with a different publisher.

They were to release it as part of the Silent Hill franchise, which is an IP owned by Konami Digital Entertainment. But I'll keep you posted if there's any update.

Uh-oh. I don't like this. 7 feet of snow in the alps already, severe flooding in Romania, a storm raging in the Norwegian sea and the list goes on. I don't like this at all.
We had a start to winter like that, it looked like it was going to be a huge ski season here. Then we had a winter heat wave that ended the ski season just a few weeks after it began. Now that spring has started we're getting a cold blast from antarctica and it's colder here now than it was all winter.

And now we've been told that La Niña is forming for a fifth year in a row so I'm not going to get summer again this year either.

And now we've been told that La Niña is forming for a fifth year in a row so I'm not going to get summer again this year either.
What's 'a summer'? I remember tales of this from long ago, even read stories about it, but still waiting to experience one. I wonder if the death of ski resorts as the climate goes ever more wonky will finally raise the outrage of the wealthy about the global warming they've enabled?

"It's all very well ranting about people dying from climate change, but what about my skiing holidays eh? Something has to be done about it!".

Here, we have a harvest getting rained out. And, some people both here and in the US are still trying to get more carbon burned, even though some also promote alternatives on the side. Climate change is not a newsworthy topic, even though weather disasters are frequent headlines.

Here, we have a harvest getting rained out. And, some people both here and in the US are still trying to get more carbon burned, even though some also promote alternatives on the side. Climate change is not a newsworthy topic, even though weather disasters are frequent headlines.
As I do like to pointlessly split hairs wherever I can...
I'd say it's the causes of climate change that tends not to be on the news media's agenda.

As I do like to pointlessly split hairs wherever I can...
I'd say it's the causes of climate change that tends not to be on the news media's agenda.
Almost nobody is talking about the momentum of change. The goal is to stop raising atmospheric carbon and methane, but the current levels will keep melting the glaciers. The problem is not just sea level rise, but the moderation provided by mountain glaciers. They keep the rivers running all summer, and moderate the storms, and direct the weather to where farmers have learned to expect it. What we need is to get to -.5C for a few centuries to re-build the ice. When we see icicles melting, we know spring is coming, and when we see the ice in our drinks vanish, we know that the drink will warm up quickly, but we don't make the connection with big chunks of ice that have been there thousands of years.

Almost nobody is talking about the momentum of change. The goal is to stop raising atmospheric carbon and methane, but the current levels will keep melting the glaciers. The problem is not just sea level rise, but the moderation provided by mountain glaciers. They keep the rivers running all summer, and moderate the storms, and direct the weather to where farmers have learned to expect it. What we need is to get to -.5C for a few centuries to re-build the ice. When we see icicles melting, we know spring is coming, and when we see the ice in our drinks vanish, we know that the drink will warm up quickly, but we don't make the connection with big chunks of ice that have been there thousands of years.

I've tried to get my head around all this, looking at individual related climate studies, such as glaciation, and sea changes (temperatures, currents, sea level, changing bio-diversity, etc etc etc ...) and more, and I came to the conclusion that we know far too little about how everything interacts (hardly surprising considering the complexity and lack of knowledge) never mind fully understanding the individual systems, and attacking particular targets won't help (or not enough) and will very likely have unintended negative effects elsewhere.

It seems to me the real problem is the current human population, being artificially and unsustainably far too large, and the current global commercial and cultural system of expansion being the fuel that our societies run on, regardless of their political bias.

The only way I could see a 'fix' would be a fundamental change in how humans live, requiring a complete change of how we view our place in the biosphere that created and sustains us. Global government of some sort would be needed with the collective power to control even the most powerful nation states and to try and force that would just result in world war. It's clear we lack the motivation to make this change voluntarily, so nature will do it for us.

But that shouldn't be a reason to be downhearted. Without the last mass extinction we wouldn't have evolved. It can be viewed that we are just an indivisible part of the whole of whatever is considered living matter on the planet. Just as birth requires death, so the creation of new species comes from the diminution and extinction of others. We sometimes speak of our own evolution, but don't think of all the possible ways this could happen and what would come from us.

We are all subject to being cursed to "live in interesting times".
Still, it's a bit of a bummer really! 😉

It seems to me the real problem is the current human population, being artificially and unsustainably far too large, and the current global commercial and cultural system of expansion being the fuel that our societies run on, regardless of their political bias.
That's the real problem in a nut shell. Infinite growth in a finite space is simply not possible and you don't have to be Einstein to be able to see that. In fact you have to be willfully self blinded in order to not see it.

Now we're reaping what we've sown.

New Threads

Top Bottom